Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Temazepam

[13...]

Could somebody make me a titration plan im currently taking 2.5mg of Temazepam at night. I want to reduce this by 10% using the titration method using milk.  Is it possible to save the mixture in the fridge that is leftover? I would be grateful for any advice. :angel:

Could somebody make me a titration plan im currently taking 2.5mg of Temazepam at night. I want to reduce this by 10% using the titration method using milk.  Is it possible to save the mixture in the fridge that is leftover? I would be grateful for any advice. :angel:

Hi 13SKWA19,

Yes, you can save it in fridge for 2 or 3 days.

I just need a little more info and I can make a plan for you.

Start date: when you would like your titration to start.

Dose: the dose you anticipate you be taking at the start date (in mgs).

Tablet dose: the dose of your individual tablets.

Number of tablets: the total number (and/or fractions) of tablets you take per day. Examples: 2 tabs; 2.5 tabs; 0.75 tabs. These are the number of tablets (not doses), and the tablets used must be of the same dosage (strength).

Taper rate: if you are unsure, ask for the input of others. The majority of people probably titrate at a rate of about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. If you are unsure of where to start, and unless you have good reason to think you need a particularly slow taper, 1% per day is probably a good starting point. The taper plan can be altered later if need be.

Cylinder details: I will need to know the size of the cylinder you are using (100ml is recommended). I will also need to know that size of the marked increments. Just make sure that there enough increments for the given cylinder to ensure that the pill can be divided into small fractions (100ml cylinder with 1ml increments is always fine; 100ml with 2-5 increments is probably fine; 50ml with 5ml increments is not very useful). If you are using very large dose pills (for your given benzo), such as 10mg Valium or 2mg Xanax, you will absolutely need lots of increments. This usually means a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments.

As for the cylinder details, I can create a plan using kitchen items, but it's a bit more accurate with the above.   If you'd like to purchase a cylinder, they are easy to find online. This link will get you started. http://www.amazon.com/Graduated-Cylinder-Set-100ml-glass/dp/B0018QJ0IS

A syringe (3, 6 or 10ml) is helpful.

Hi again,

Just to let you know, unless you are really struggling with your taper, a 10% reduction, depending on how often you want to make that reduction, is probably not necessary. You are currently on quite a low dose. (equivelant to about 1.25mg of Valium for the purposes of tapering.) From the amount you are on (2.5mg a day?), You could very safely taper in about 4 steps (25%), every 7 to 10 days, and be done in a month or so.

The rate and speed is easily adjustable. It is entirely up to you. Let me know.

At the moment i am taking 2.5mg at night doing this by breaking up a 10mg Temazepam tablet.  I have got a baby's feeding bottle with a 100ml mark on it i was going to break up a 10mg tablet and put it in 100ml full milk. I was then going to take out 20ml of the mixture for my dose which i take at night then keep the rest made up in the fridge. If there is another way which is easier i would appreciate your advice. >:D

I have been doing quite well and only having a few bad nights sleep so would like to reduce by 25% every two weeks if this is okay. I would like you to make me a plan starting from now.

It sounds like you have it all figured out already! What you are doing is fine.

But if the numbers you gave me are correct, you are actually only taking 2mg a day, not 2.5mg.

20mls out of a mixture of 10mg/100mls is 2mg.

To go from here, you don't really need a 'plan'. What kind of increments does the bottle have on it? It should have either 1ml or 5ml increments. If not, you can use a syringe. You should be able to get one at a pharmacy. 3, 6 or 10ml would be best.

25% of your current dose would be 25% of 20mls which equals 5mls.

So, for your first cut starting now, just drink 15mls from your 10mg/100ml mixture for the next two weeks.

Then your next cut you would drink 10mls of that mixture for two weeks.

Then drink 5mls of the mixture for the last two weeks and you're done!

Does that make sense?  

Thanks elijay that sounds really good I am going to start reducing tomorrow night. I will buy a 15ml syringe tomorrow and probably a cup with a lid.  It will be good if i can manage this in 6 weeks time.  My only problem is some nights i dont sleep much especially when i start cutting down is there anything i can take to help me sleep thats a natural remedy i dont want anymore addictive stuff. :crazy:

Sleep is nearly always an issue during benzo withdrawal. There are mild supplements that may help, like melatonin or Hylands 'insomnia'.  Otc antihistamines like benadryl work a bit better. I used unisom. It's not 'addictive', though you can become somewhat conditioned to it if you take it too regularly. It's best to use it only every few days. Or no more than a couple of days in a row. Try and 'save' it for nights where it's more important to get sleep.

Congrats on starting the last leg of your taper!  

Im on day four of my taper taking 15ml Temazepam in whole milk is it safe to take Trimeoprim for a water infection?  I have taken lots of these before and been ok but was wondering if they will affect my withdrawal. :P

Hi,

We can't really advise you on this, except to say there is a class of antibiotics, Flouroquinolones, that should be avoided during and sometime after withdrawal, as they have been known to cause problems during this time period. Trimeoprim is not in that class. Most other antibiotics seem to be ok during wd.

Certainly, if they've been prescribed by a doctor and you need them for an infection, you should take them.  

• 2 weeks later...
I ready to cut my dose down to 10ml tonight been sleeping okay most nights getting about 6 hours.  I hope this next cut works for me i expect to have a couple of bad nights till i get used to it. :yippee:

I hope I am posting this on the right forum.  I was prescribed Clonazepam in March 2011 for anxiety without much being explained to me about the drug. I took it initially as prescribed: .25mg x 2 each day and then started taking it rather haphazardly, more as and when required until about a month ago when I had some health problems so started taking it again for a few weeks initially as prescribed. Then everything went to pot because I was admitted to hospital, returned home and then readmitted. During this time again I took Clonazepam haphazardly. When I was finally discharged from hospital I was on strong antibiotics and more concerned about taking them then the Clonazepam.......and then the anxiety set in, quickly getting toman extreme level and I realized quickly that I was probably in Clonazepam withdrawal. So, I calculated how many doses I had taken since the medication was originally prescribed to me and it came out that if I had taken the medication daily since first prescribed, I would have taken .206 mg's daily.  So, what I have done is, by using the water titration method, reinstated a dose of .125 mg am and again each pm. I am still getting very frequent anxiety which can be prolonged and uncomfortable at times (at least daily). I have seen two doctors, one suggesting I increase the dose to 1mg x 2 each day and 1 who suggested I start on Lexapro. I have resisted both. I am keen to get off of Clonazepam ASAP, not add to my problems. I want to stabilize on a dose and then start to taper down. By staying on .125mg x 2 each day for a few weeks, can I expect to stabilize on this dose. I suppose what I mean is, will this anxiety eventually subside?  If so I would want to start tapering slowly down as I would not want the anxiety to return if I can help it. Can anyone advise at what rate I might be best to tapper at? I need to return to work in two weeks (have been off because of my recent operation ) and I really don't want the anxiety to prevent me from doing this. I could end up losing my job.  Any help and advice would be so appreciated.  Sorry form the lengthy post. Just felt I needed to tell the whole picture.

Doing well on the 10ml cut sleeping 7 hours most nights and feel good during day. I feel better than i have done for years more alert and relaxed so glad im withdrawing off these awful tablets.

Im down to 5ml Temazepam in milk at night will be doing this for 2 weeks.  Is it possible to cut it anymore before i jump off.  I was going to try 3ml then 1ml dont want to go off too fast. :D

Im down to 5ml of Temazepam in wholemilk this is the last part of my taper can you tell me how much this is in milligrams. I have one week to go and will be going to see the GP about my progress need to tell him the correct amount im up to.

13SKWA19, I have been on Temazepam for about 5 years taking 15 mg per night. I am also ready to start tapering off. How is your sleep? I am afraid once I start tapering off i will loose any sleep I am getting now. Did you have any withdrawal symptoms? Thanks for any help you can give.

I started withdrawing off Temazepam in April at first my sleep was poor but got better after a few days.  I find everytime i taper down a bit more i suffer a couple of nights with my sleep probably get about 4 hours. I find on the whole i am sleeping more natural and can stay asleep longer i think the tablets were giving me disturbed nights. I have had withdrawal symptons like tiredness, tinitis, diziness and chest problems a persistant cough. Most of the symptons have eased and im left with the chesty cough but on the whole i feel really well. I think this is the best thing i have ever done my memory is better and my balance good. I started taking these tablets for sleep 25 years ago and wished id come off them sooner. Im down to 5ml in liquid now and might jump off next week. if i can help you with anything at all contact me on here. :yippee:

You will be fine i feel better now than when i was taking the tablets just realised i was in tolerance and they were making me ill.  I was'nt really getting to sleep with them anymore and some nights i took two 10mg tablets. The next day i ended up a wreck and really anxious im a different person now feel so relaxed. Hope to be completely free of them soon.