Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Progesterone = Clonazepam withdrawal: update

[do...]

I am truly shocked with the symptoms of my Progesterone WD. I dropped my usual P-ne cream dose to 1/3 of the original 11 days ago. The WD is getting worse every day and the most interesting that the symptoms are exactly the same which I have during Clonazepam WD. They are: pseudo-suffocation because of my throat’s muscles are contracting, fever; cold chills, diarrhea, insomnia, traveling pain in all body, thirst, exhaustion, and double contour vision. Cold chills are really difficult to manage, especially at night.

One important point: currently I don’t have psychiatric WD symptoms/ seizures. I attribute it to Keppra (I am not trying to convince anyone to aid their WD with anticonvulsant, I am just sharing my experience).

Because I started using Progesterone during my Clonazepam WD I believe the cream actually was “reintroducing the GABA-affecting substance” to my body, like Valium. So I concluded that I haven’t truly WD from Clonazepam.

Still a long way to go I guess.

Closer it is to my period worse I feel. In fact, I spent two last days crying (not all the time but very often). Today I increased Keppra to 250mg.

I maintain that Keppra removes most of depression and psychotic symptoms (major problems for me with Clonazepam WD c/t).

• 2 months later...

Hello Buddies,

Here is some information about hormones and Benzodiazepines.  It may be important know that hormones, progesterone, and birth control pills  effect the GABA receptors. I wish I had known this before going off of my Birth Control Pills for only a few weeks. This flipped out my withdrawal symptoms, here is some information to share with your doctors to help make the best decision possible when tapering from a benzo and how Progesterone, Estrogen, etc. effects the GABA receptors and hormone function.  If you and your doctor choose to change your hormone medications at least you can have some information to share with them and know that they do affect the same receptors.

Simply Google "progesterone benzodiazepine withdrawal", you will hit two very technical scientific studies one performed on rats and another on women.  The one discussing women will tell you that progesterone withdrawal is similar to benzo withdrawal due to the reactions within the GABA receptors; thus women who experience more than the average PMS were shown to be more resistant to the effects of benzos (this would then make their withdrawal harder) however, these times of resistance correlated to low progesterone or withdrawal of progesterone.

From what I understand, synthetic progestogen that has progestinic effects similar to progesterone.  Progesterone is cross tolerant to benzodiazepines.  Cross tolerance means that one drug will alleviate the withdrawal effects of another. It also means that tolerance of one drug will result in tolerance of another similarly-acting drug.  Progesterone is a neuroactive steroid, which will precipitate similar withdrawal effects characterized by central nervous system hyper-excitability.

Here is a reference that explains how progesterone is actually GABA-ergic and how a drop in it right before our period can cause many of the anxiety symptoms that may accompany PMS.

http://www.benzosupport.org/Hormones%20and%20benzo%20diazepines.ht

If anyone has any additional information that may be helpful, that would be great. I would like women to be informed that hormones play a role and help us to be better informed when making decisions that may affect our taper or recovery.

Be safe.

Love to all,

Summer

Hello Buddies,

Here is a link to a thread in Withdrawal and Recovery Support with additional information on Hormones, Progesterone, Birth Control Pills and benzo withdrawal and healing. These hormones affect the GABA receptors. It is good to have some of this information to share with your doctor to help make an informed decision.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=41461.0

Love to All,

Summer

PS. Anyone else have this experience? Taper Klonopin or other benzo to find Progesterone caused wd sxs too?

Hello doublewave,

I was interested to see your post from a few months ago. How are you doing?

I ran into trouble with Birth Control Pills and tapering from Klonopin and started a thread in Withdrawal and Recovery Support.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=41461.0

I want women to hear your story. Would you be willing to share your experience on that thread? I think it would help many women now and in the future.

I did a search on this and was not able to find the info. I am now finding some info and would like to make it easy for women that come to BB to do a search here to find out that hormones affect GABA receptors.

Love,

Summer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello summermeadow

I am getting better, thank you. About 70% better I think.

I want women to hear your story. Would you be willing to share your experience on that thread? I think it would help many women now and in the future.

Here is the thread I started some time ago:

Bioidentical progesterone cream causes withdrawal similar to benzo-

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=36868.0

You could add the link to your topic if you wish. I described my situation in details there and there also were some valuable contribution from others...

My case is a bit peculiar though: I have epilepsy.

All the best.

hello doublewave,

Thank you so much for posting the above information and link to your thread. It will help many women who get a chance to read it. So happy to hear your about 70% better. That's wonderful.

Love to you,

Summer :smitten: