Insomnia and Sleep Anxiety!

[ji...]

As night approaches I start to get horrible anxiety about sleep. And then when I lie down I can't stop thinking about if I will sleep. Any suggestions on how to conquer this. I am trying sleep restriction and it's supposed to help but I will take suggestions if anyone has any...

Thanks!

Hi, Jittery.

I'm going through some similar s/xs as you.  I've had twitching/jerking issues during the day and am still dealing with some myoclonus when I sleep for the past 2 1/2 months.  Luckily, I've been able to get about 6 hours of sleep a night for the past few weeks.  I've tried as much as possible to get to sleep around the same time each night (around 10:30pm) and I've been taking 300mg of magnesium glycinate.  I've also been having some silver needle white tea (which has theanine) a few hours before I go to sleep.  Probably one of the best things that helps me get to sleep is that I use the techniques described in a meditation CD that I purchased recently to help put my mind at ease and it helps me to relax my mind so that I'm not thinking about stressful things.  I know it may sound a little hokey, but it has really helped me to put myself in a calm state.

The other thing that has really helped me is by learning more about benzo w/d.  I am currently reading "The Benzo Book" at night and by learning more about what I'm going through it has really helped to ease my mind to know that it will get better.  I also read "Benzo-Wise" which was very insightful and reassuring that we will all get better from this experience.  There were some great coping mechanisms listed in there as well.  "The Benzo Book" has been my personal favorite so far though as the author has some great in-depth knowledge and research in his book that really has helped me to gain a much better understanding about w/d.  Plus, reading at night tends to get me more tired and ready for sleep.

I tell you, I'm getting really tired of the twitches and jerks, but at least for the moment I'm getting sleep.  I hope that you do too very soon.  I'm still not able to nap during the weekend, but my evenings have gotten much better.

Hi Arcelus. Could you share the name of the CD you use? I have several guided imagery, one hypnosis, and Sleep Tracks which is brain entrainment and Insight which is rain sounds and Delta Sleep which I don't like at all. Always looking for something that works. I slept zero last nite and I'm 7 mos off.

I Only slept 1.5 hours. Whenever I get in my bed I almost get a panic attack from anxiety. I get so anxious then I'm up for hours on end. I know it's psychological I just don't know what to do. Hoping after a few weeks of this program I will see some improvement!

Hi Jittery. I'm sure the newness of this sleep restriction is making your sleep worse. It is scary. I haven't had much anxiety about sleep. I listen to the CD's and that takes my mind off worrying most of the time. For some reason I just can't fall asleep, even when I'm relaxed and tired.

Do you have relaxation CD's. I do think they help keep your mind off the worry. I also think breathing exercises can help. Lately I've been getting up at 2 and once I'm up, I'm up for good. I never get more sleepy. Maybe I shouldn't do the computer, talking about not sleeping. I think I'm better staying in bed most of the time. Tonite I just knew I wasn't going to sleep and none of the supplements worked. usually something helps enuf to get a bit of sleep. Not tonite.

Good luck at work!

I myself have decided to refrain from any insomnia techniques while I go through w/d - I feel like the type of insomnia that I have now is more physical then psychological - not to say that doesn't have a huge effect - but if I pressure myself with sleep programs that were designed for people not dealing with the benzo withdrawal - then I will cause myself undue stress.  I tried a insomnia program a little while back and it had a lot to do with replacing worrisome thoughts with more challenging positive thoughts/statements - however, I cannot expect my poor battered body and psyche to be able to do positive thinking all the time - its very stressful.  I am almost a year out and can tell that I am healing - feeling better - but right now in the middle of a bad wave - I know they don't last - so... good luck with the sleep restriction - but I would recommend it when you are healed - the benzo beast laughs at our attempts to persuade it to be nicer  -  LOL

:D

Hi Mcduck. I tend to agree with you about the sleep restriction. That's why I haven't tried it yet. I think we need to be fairly healed to have it work. I think Jittery has not been able to find any supplement to help her so he is trying this in desperation. I'm hoping the unisom can help her get thru this early rough period. It has surely helped me. This insomnia makes you feel like you are going crazy with no sleep. Our brains are messed up enuf. Add sleep deprivation and we are really in trouble.

We just have to keep plugging away, coping as best we can, putting more time behind us.

Hi, Maltesemom.

The meditation CD that I use is called "Meditation for Beginners" by Jack Kornfield.  If you decide to get it than I hope that it also helps to give you techniques to calm yourself before going to sleep.

Hey Guys...

Yes Kathi is right I'm doing sleep restriction out of desperation. I think my insomnia is mental because I sleep fine when my mom comes to stay. I'm not sure my problem I'd w/d now I think that I've associated my bed with sleeplessness which serves as a stimulus now for anxiety and insomnia. SR is supposed to break that.

Thanks for the info. Is it specifically for sleep? I am going back to TM for meditation. I used to meditate years ago and stopped. I understand it is very helpful for sleep...if you can find the time to do it! I'm hyper so it isn't easy for me.

Thanks for the recommendation.

McDuck,

What kinds of problems are you still having with w/d?  I noticed that your last benzo was almost a year ago. I'm trying to anticipate what to expect.  Right now - just starting - I have insomnia which I'm treating with a drug and sometimes I get headaches which 2 Tylenol take care of.  I was put on Clonazepam for sleep and am wondering that makes a difference.

Pacey

main issue has been insomnia - a different type -  wake up through night - hard to stay asleep into early morning hours - it's been getting a lot better - 3 months ago it was horrible - but lately I have been experiencing periods of deeper sleep.  I know that I am healing - but I think that benzos can attack your weakness..  I just resolved myself to the insomnia - don't expect much and if I get a good night - great - I am looking at the long term - want to get back to where I was before benzos - much better sleep - and want to get my body back - it's been under siege for some time and is beat down -  Keep your eye on the prize - do you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep?

mcDuck

Pacey I know its rough...

I have been doing this for some time and sleep can be hard.

Just go slow and do your best

your BB,

Indigo

I'm reallly struggling with heightened awareness...when I lay down all I can think about is if I'm going to sleep. Then I'm aware that I'm "awake" trying to sleep. I don't know how to fix this....

Jittery did you see my post about the oat straw? Have you thought about trying unisom, the blue tablet? Let me know about the oat straw. I need to tell you where to get it.

Jittery:

I know it sounds too easy, but I've really found that reading before I go to sleep really takes my mind off of it and makes me tired.  You might give it a try.

Are you still having issues with sleep jerks?  I still get them from time to time.  It's such a frustrating s/x.  :tickedoff:  I think they may be lessoning, but they are still there.  Grrrr...

Hi Kathi,

Thanks for responding. I would like to try the oat straw tea. I'm scared of all supplements and OTC drugs because some have made me worse. Sleepy time tea and Calms forte made me really anxious.... >:( I just think maybe my irratic nervous system is not responding properly.

Anti-histamines like Benadryl and Visertil have given me bad restless leg. I know the ingredient in Unisom 2 is also some kind of anti-histamine but it's worth a try at this point.

I haven't been following my program the last couple of days because my mom has been there. However, even last night I slept horrible with her there. I slept good from 11-2am and then I was up about every thirty minutes after that. I just want this to end and for me to get me sleep back. My baby is sleeping through the night now, and I prayed for that day to come so often before this whole mess began when she was about two months old. I can't believe now it is here and I can't even enjoy it because IM not sleeping.

Why are we suffering so much? I think insomnia is the worst sx. Because at least others get relief from their pain when they are sleeping but we have to suffer 24/7 by being awake.

I'm sorry I'm being negative today but my mom is going home tonight and I'm afraid to try to sleep in my bed because as soon as I lay down there I get horribly anxious.

I also bought the ZZZ glasses and when they arrive I will keep you guys posted if they work. They have a 30 day moneyback guarentee so if they are bogus I will return them.

How did you sleep last night?

Actually my sleep jerks are lessening too but I'm having a harder time falling asleep at all to even jerk awake!.....I'm a mess. Sorry. I'm depressed today. Thanks for the tip on reading. I used to do it but I stopped, not sure why.

Indigo,

Thanks for the good wishes and support.

It's hard to take it slow but I will.

Love your sense of humor.

Pacey

Hi Jittery. I remember I had trouble reading because I was so hyped up I couldn't concentrate. I kept reading the same paragraph over and over. Try to find something interesting to read but I know you may not be able to if you are so exhausted and wired. I sure hope the unisom works for you. I took it last nite and slept 9hrs. I feel much better today. Tonite I will go back to the melatonin and see what happens. I don't have a lot to do on Thurs.

Good luck.

I'm just bumping this post to gather more suggestions. My sleep anxiety was out of control last night. I just started getting nervous as night approached and I was hyperaware that I was trying to sleep. It's hard for me to let my mind wander and not think about falling asleep. It's so weird. Sleep should just "happen" and you shouldn't think about it. I know this but I don't know how to stop it!

Hi again. Unfortunately for people like us, sleep doesn't just happen. Are you listening to sleep CD's? That really helps me. I listed to calming music for a while, then my Sleep Tracks. I just bought Dr. Amen's sleep CD with hypnosis and I like it. It is quite calming and I fell asleep listening the other nite. Of course I woke up at the end and couldn't go back to sleep! I also have a CD from DR. Mercola called Insight and it is 3 tracks with rain sounds. Supposed to be Delta sleep. Anyway, I listen to a lot of them and it really helps with calming. If I wake in the middle of the nite and am hyped, the cd's help calm be back down. If you're not listening I highly recommend you get some. Holly recommended Kelly Howell"s Jet Lag as a good one. Sleep Tracks is expensive $80 so you may not want to do that one. I like it pretty well and I think it helps...but doesn't put me to sleep. I think the music will help you relax more.

Kathi