Nightmares during diazepam taper

[Wa...]

Hi benzobuds,

I did a rapid Xanax taper, took nothing for 6 months, then reinstated with diazepam due to severe protracted withdrawals. Something I've noticed that seems to be unique to diazepam is I've started having these horrible nightmares every night. Horrible. Worse fears than could even cross my mind while awake, I'll dream about. Then that depressive, oppressive, terrified feeling I had in the nightmare will stay with me after I awake. It's really hard to shake the feeling, because in the dream, it felt SO REAL. Has anyone experienced this with diazepam? Any suggestions on how to cope? I'm wondering if it might also be related to my taper rate. I was tapering at .25mg/week, then slightly sped it up to .25mg/5 days. The nightmares started long before I sped up the rate. I increased the rate partly because I thought I might be tapering too slowly and experiencing too many diazepam side effects. Thanks for all input and advice.

Love you guys

Edit:removed personal info

HI there,

I did experience this w/ my Diazepam taper...if it's unique to Diazepam?  I doubt b/c I noticed vivid dreams/nightmares are common w/ any Benzo w/d.  I would wake up and not know if it was real, etc.  VERY terrifying dreams.  I did notice it got worse around my menstrual cycle and/or ovulation...and it was not constant.  I'd have a week w/ really horrible dreams and then a few weeks w/ none.  Benzos deplete our REM sleep and so as we take the drug away, it comes back to life and hence the reason we can have some pretty crazy and busy dreams.  I hope this passes for you soon...it wasn't constant for me and although I am still experiencing a bit of it right now at 3 weeks off, it's not AS intense.

All the best,

Schatje

Thanks Schatje!

That's encouraging to hear that yours are not constant and are becoming less intense. I could have had the nightmares on Xanax and just don't remember because it's now been awhile. I did notice the nightmares start as soon as I reinstated with the diazepam. I will stay positive and hope my nightmares decrease as I taper off. I really look forward to being done with all this one day!

Hugs, Watersong

Edit: Personal info removed