Rebound Anxiety

[ka...]

Approx. 2 weeks ago I had tapered down from 10 mg (Valium) to 2.5 mg (dry cutting) ... and I was so VERY happy because I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.  :)

Then one morning after being on 2.5 mg for one week I woke up and was so dizzy I couldn't stand up.  I tried to hold without increasing but after staying dizzy for several days I had to increase my valium.  I was hoping to just take it up a little but I had to go up to 5mg before I could get some relief.  :'(

Has this happened to anyone else?  It's so VERY Frustrating and the worst part is that after months and months or years trying to taper off .... you begin to feel like you're never gonna get off these terrible things.  :-\

In desperate need to know I'm not alone and that others had FINALLY made it to the land of benzo FREEDOM.  :thumbsup:

This is not as bad as it feels. You stabilized by dosing up. But you didn't dose back up to 10; you leveled at 5. That tells us that you might've decreased too fast.

All the time you're tapering, your GABA receptors are healing. The purpose of the careful taper is to minimize symptoms, or at least make them tolerable. This is so important for ultimate success. You did that, you modified your taper thus increasing the odds of crossing the finish line. Down the road when you wake up from this nightmare, it'll probably involve the same time healing as what it would've taken had you pushed through the decrease from 10 to 2.5. This is one of those endeavors where the turtle wins the race, sometimes.

Maybe taper a little slower so you don't discourage yourself with another need to dose up.

It sounds like you tapered from 10mg to 2.5mg in two weeks, is that correct? If so, that is a drastic reduction in dose which probably contributed to your withdrawal symptoms. There's been many times where I've had thoughts about up dosing or just giving up because it felt like I had made such progress, but the end seemed so far away. For me, I had to change the way I was thinking because it was hindering me from moving forward in healing. Have you read any of the success stories? They're great for inspiration and motivation.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I tapered down in 2 weeks ... quite the contrary.  It took me more than six months of cutting my dosage by 1/2 to 1/4 mg each time and holding the new dosage for at least 2 weeks before lowering it any more.

That's why it's so discouraging and frustrating when I think how long it took to get down to 2.5mg .... only to have to go back up to 5mg.  It's like the game of aggravation where you can get almost home only to have your marble sent back to the beginning.

I think I'll try the titration method and hopefully I'll have better success doing it that way.  Hope, hope.  :)