MAJOR CONSTIPATION ! HELP PLEASE ?

[mo...]

Hi,

all my usual constipation cures are not working.

Prunes, "Natural Calm" powder (which I'm scared to use anyway now due to Magnesium), Psyllium.

I'm totally backed up and in great discomfort.

Does anyone know of anything natural that may help?

Have tried glycerin suppositories and Fleet Saline enemas, but not helping.

Won't use Dulcolax products, horrible side effects.

Drink lots of water, am starting a powerful probiotic, but need help fast as it's been days.

Have a tea called "Smooth Move" - Senna tea, but am scared to drink it, afraid of abdominal cramps, etc..?

Any suggestions or help?

thanks so much,

mp

You might wanna try Senna. It might cause a cramp or two, but nothing two bad. Days without bowel movement is worse, IMO.

Re: Senna

Found this on Benzo Buddies:

"The stimulant action of sennosides should be taken into account for those who suffer from any conditions where stimulants are contraindicated, such as past heart disease, high blood pressure, anxiety attacks, etc."

My anxiety is already through the roof, can't afford.

Hi MP,

I was the same way a couple of weeks ago.  I've found a combination that works for me - I eat prunes too but also take Miralax, Benefiber, Colace and Senna tablets. You may want to try adding just one of these at a time.  The Miralax takes a few days to work - it pulls water into the bowel so drink plenty of water and the Colace is a stool softener and well, you know what Benefiber is - I take it twice a day and try to eat a salad with diner every night and whole grain breads.  I have worked on this combination with my doctor and pharmacist.  I know this isn't "all natural" but it works for me.  Some one also wrote that cherries and cherry juice have helped her.

I agree Dulcolax is awful.  Before my new regime I took 3 one night and all it did was rip my stomach to shreds all night and vomited and still barely moved my bowels - I was so weak I could barely shower - just stayed on the couch all day in agony.

I'm sorry - I can't offer you any all natural remedies but remember all natural doesn't necessarily mean no side effects - they are herbs and such and can be just as powerful as medicines.

Good Luck Hun,

Sara

Have tried Psyllium - same thing, not working.

Also, you have to be very careful with Psyllium, Metamucil and all the others - they can interfere with your benzo absorption, I believe it states on the Metamucil jar not to take too close to meds.

Just seems to be making it worse even tho I drink tons of water

Also, you have to be very careful with Psyllium, Metamucil and all the others - they can interfere with your benzo absorption, I believe it states on the Metamucil jar not to take too close to meds.

mourningperson maybe you should get it checked out to make sure there is no blockages there.

I never used to be constipated when I was younger.  My problems that way all started when I went on Synthroid and that was long before Ativan.

Hi mourning person. I had constipation for 19 months. I had the vagus nerve compromised and muscle hypo motility. Nothing would move to pass anything. I did use Dulcolax which is bad yes. But it got that bad for days and days. Then I looked up what people do if there is nerve damage and/or gastro paresis and the info said don't eat fibre for this type of constipation. If muscles don't move to pass anything, fibre bulks and makes it harder. If the nerve isn't quite registering things need to move, you eat accordingly.

It recommended easy things to digest and pass. So I ate soup, blended whey shakes with fruit, liquid. It worked. Slowly my nerve healed, my muscles strengthened being used able to pass that and now it's normal. I did this off and on. I would do it every day for a couple weeks at a time. I did it for three weeks at the end of 18 months and then I started to go every other day and then daily with regular food again.  I love the herb Cascara Sagrada. THAT never worked, none of the usual recommendations worked, but easier food to pass did. If it's a temporary muscle or nerve thing that benzos can cause, maybe try that?

mourningperson maybe you should get it checked out to make sure there is no blockages there.

I never used to be constipated when I was younger.  My problems that way all started when I went on Synthroid and that was long before Ativan.

Hey Hockey Gal,

come to think of it I started taking Synthroid around 2007, but I can't remember if there's a correlation between that and my constipation - but it makes sens that a slow thyroid would slow everything down, but again my TSH levels are in normal range every time I have my blood work done...

Sara

Hey Hockey Gal,

come to think of it I started taking Synthroid around 2007, but I can't remember if there's a correlation between that and my constipation - but it makes sens that a slow thyroid would slow everything down, but again my TSH levels are in normal range every time I have my blood work done...

Sara

saraann mine are too.  I haven't taken Snythroid in over a year now because I can't tolerate it anymore.  Puts me right off the rails with anxiety.

Prune juice worked well and fleet also did. If you ever have done Fleet before, you probably know, it's best to be very close to the bathroom.

This is a really informative link. http://www.medicinenet.com/laxatives_for_constipation/article.htm It gives both pros, cons and even precautions when trying different laxatives. Wish I had found this link when that happened to me.

Thanks everyone for your continued ideas, they are very much appreciated.

I was surprised and dismayed about the thyroid meds causing constipation and anxiety.

I have been diagnosed with low thyroid but have not been treating it, as I was concerned about my anxiety ramping up - now that's been validated.

I was going to wait until after the taper to start thyroid meds, and am not looking forward to it at all as I have read so many posts on other boards about side effects and problems with thyroid meds - also about all the problems associated with trying to get the dosages correct.

I have tried almost all the things stated below and they haven't been working.

Am going to try a bigger dose of "Natural Calm" today and see if that works.

It used to work so well in the past.

I worry about the magnesium revving up my symptoms, but my symptoms are such a mess anyway, will just forge ahead.

Vancouvergirl, I really liked what you had to say, thought that was very interesting and will try your suggestions.

By the way, do you know Kelowna, worked there for awhile....

mp

Hi MP,

I love Kelowna. It's not too far from Van. It's great in the summer with all the lakes etc. Lot's of waterskiing and festivals I'd take advantage of. Where did you work?

In regards to the whole constipation thing I met a woman who has it very bad like I was and you are. She had finished opiate withdrawal (pain condition) and was tapering benzos and the first thing her doctor said is "we will probably have to do an ileostomy." I am sure had I gone to a doc about mine as it was so severe he'd have said the same thing. She is trying what I am suggesting, I haven't heard back yet. It didn't happen over night. But the first time I noticed the small change within a few days with the new diet, (I did clean myself out before I tried the diet change) I knew I was on the right road. I mean my body wasn't processing water, breaking down food properly, nothing, but it finally turned around. In hindsight this issue started on klonopin, I just didn't put it together. It took a while to resolve, but it did.

Good luck MP.

Have you tried aloe vera liquid? That works well and is safe. It actually works on both constipation and diarrhea. I use Georges brand aloe liquid. You can get it at most health food stores. It is clear and tastes like water. you take 2 oz. first thing in the morning and 2 last thing at nite. You could probably take more for your problem, but the standard dose is what I said. I have had many naturapathic dr.'s recommend it for many ailments.

I have also used it for bladder irritation and stomach pain. It is a great remedy to always have on hand. My husband is taking it to try to get off Prilosec. My sister uses it for constipation and I used it recently for bladder irritation. Be sure to get the Georges Brand. It is inexpensive and the one most recommended.

Hi vancouver girl,

back in the "old days" I was an exotic dancer and danced and lived at a local pub/hotel there, can't remember the name.

Seems like, and was eons ago..

But out of all the BC towns I worked in, Kelowna was the prettiest.

I think I remember reading that there was something about a "monster" story in the lake there?

In re: to the constipation issue, I know I have to be careful about the soup thing.

My husband made some vegetable soup months ago in my wd, and I ended up having the worst gas pains, it was terrible.

So I will have him make some cabbage soup, and not eat too much of the cabbage, mostly the broth.

Also, I have to be careful, as I've lost so much weight (104 @ 5' 5")

I've cut out so many foods already, that I need as much nutrition as I can get.

Am eating good foods and organic, no gluten, simple carbs, etc.. But am not putting on any weight.

Will stay away from the Psyllium...

Maltesemom,

my only concern is about allergies to aloe?

I got a reaction - a red patch, when I put it on my skin - it was pure, organic.

Is it more of a maintenance help, or will it unconstipate me?

Thanks so much

Hi again. It can be maintenance or episodic use. My sister just takes it for a whle if she is constipated. My husband is using it regularly to try to get off prilosec, and heal his stomach. I would be really surprised if the Georges brand of Aloe would bother you. I have never heard of it bothering anyone. It is really benign and worth a try because it is natural. I've used it for years and I have a REALLY sensitive body to everything. That is one thing I am really comfortable using. I used to have constipation but since I had my gallbladder removed I have the opposite problem

The other thing you should do is take a probiotic regularly. Get a good brand. I used Intestinal Care DF by Ethical Nutrients. It is refridgerated. Metagenics makes a good one but you have to get it from a health practicioner. I am using Primal Defense by Garden of Life right now as it has more strains of bacteria than the intestinal care.

There are several good brands but if you take them regularly, you will become more regular!

Kathi

Hi maltesemom and thanks,

I googled aloe juice and constipation and one of the sites said this:

Constipation

"Aloe juice or aloe latex, a yellow, bitter liquid derived from the skin of the aloe leaf, is a powerful laxative. However, it can cause painful cramping and is not recommended."

I am concerned about pain, cannot handle any at the moment?

If I do use it, read:

"use 1 tablespoon in water before each meal."

Is that what you recc.?

Thanks,

mp

You really should get "The thyroid solution" book by Ridha Arem MD Rodalestore.com. based on clinical research. What the medical community is doing for your condition varies drasticly from one part of the country to another depending on the what the the local medical college teaches!  My wife suffered with low thyroid needlessly until getting this book

Hi MP, I completely understand you not wanting to lose any more weight. I have used the vanilla whey shakes for many years body sculpting, fitness training. Not body building for that big look. The leaner fitness look. They have a lot of protein. The last one I bought was all natural, no splenda even, but with stevia. 38% grams of protein. And then I would adjust the other food around that. You may try cream based soup for extra calories. Your body sounds really sensitive right now. Sorry you. Anyway, that "aloe vera" tip like maltesemom suggested (hi MM) sounds great too. I'd never heard of that. It looks like you now have some alternatives and can mix and match with all of the information and find a combo that could work for you. I sure hope so.

I hope you find a solution and get this on track. No surprise to hear I feel so much better tummy wise with this on track right? I've got my fingers crossed. xoxo (That book looks interesting too doesn't it?)

hi mp, when i hear of people with constipation problems, i first ask about fiber etc. in the diet. but more important, IMO, is FAT. are you getting plenty of good fats in your diet. you can take fiber till the cows come home, but you need fats to keep things moving. load up on olive oil, nuts, avocado, coconut oils. hope this helps.

My wife, who has low thyroid takes aloe juice and miralax.

At first, my benzo stomach (large intestines) stopped for a number of days. natural apple cider (the foggy stuff) (and prunes afterwards) helped

Frequent Physical massaging of the large intestines in the direction of the flow and back and forth motion combined with natural cider/prune juice eventually got things moving for me but it did take 2 more days.  If you are not familiar with the path of your large intestines look it up.  Afterwards eat a prune towards the begining of the meal and some natural apple cider with your meal.  You have recieved alot of good suggestions from others and the fleet could be a quick first step.  Good luck-I have been there!

STAY AWAY FROM CABBAGE OR CABBAGE SOUP!!!!  THE GAS WILL DO YOU IN.

Hi again. I have never had cramping with the Georges aloe and I've used it for 10 yrs or more. Try an ounce and see if it does anything, then try the 2nd ounce. Be sure you get this brand..,.otherwise, some brands are not as pure and use different aloe plants or different parts. The only one I know for sure is safe and works well is the Georges brand. You can buy it on vitacost.com but I think you should get it locally so you can use it right away. I have never known anyone to have a problem with this brand. It probably won't work as fast as a laxative, but it is more gentle. I have only taken a laxative when I had a colonoscopy. I used miralax and it was not fun.

Hi vancouver girl,

back in the "old days" I was an exotic dancer and danced and lived at a local pub/hotel there, can't remember the name.

Seems like, and was eons ago..

But out of all the BC towns I worked in, Kelowna was the prettiest.

I think I remember reading that there was something about a "monster" story in the lake there?

MP, I couldn't resist - you were an exotic dancer?  How Cool!  I have a stripper pole in my house (long story but hubby brought it when he moved in with me and he built it out of copper on a "lark".  I never used it - not coordinated enough!  :laugh:

In re: to the constipation issue, I know I have to be careful about the soup thing.

My husband made some vegetable soup months ago in my wd, and I ended up having the worst gas pains, it was terrible.

So I will have him make some cabbage soup, and not eat too much of the cabbage, mostly the broth.

Also, I have to be careful, as I've lost so much weight (104 @ 5' 5")

I've cut out so many foods already, that I need as much nutrition as I can get.

Am eating good foods and organic, no gluten, simple carbs, etc.. But am not putting on any weight.

Will stay away from the Psyllium...

Oh, cabbage is hard to digest.  I've cut allot of foods out of my diet also - NO SUGAR!  Revs my sx too much.  I'm right behind you weight wise - 5'8" and 117 pounds and a medium frame.  I do eat natural sugar (fruits, fruit concentrates in my smoothie with milk and protein powder)  With the constipation and what I have to do for it (Miralax, senna, enemas) I try to keep my electrolytes in balance.  Meat is also important - protein, B vitamins.... and it's hard to digest...introduce small amounts.  I know it must be hard, but you just can't live on carbs.  Maybe a couple of Tablespoons of Peanut butter if you can't eat meat.

Maltesemom,

my only concern is about allergies to aloe?

I got a reaction - a red patch, when I put it on my skin - it was pure, organic.

Is it more of a maintenance help, or will it unconstipate me?

Thanks so much

God Lord don't drink the Aloe then - but you know that - if you get a red patch on your skin I can't imagine what it would do to you systemically! 

Here we are, all trying to help you and everything suggested seems to run you into a brick wall  :brickwall:  You know, it sounds like you don't even eat enough to make stool at this point.

BTW - I never knew thyroid meds contribute to constipation - they send my anxiety through the roof but my TSH always comes back smack in the middle of normal range.

I hope you find relief soon Hun.

Sara

You really should get "The thyroid solution" book by Ridha Arem MD Rodalestore.com. based on clinical research. What the medical community is doing for your condition varies drasticly from one part of the country to another depending on the what the the local medical college teaches!  My wife suffered with low thyroid needlessly until until getting this bo

I think I have that book.  He's the guy that teaches at the U of Texas right? :)

HockeyGal

Right on that's it!  In the midwest where I am now they have a completely different approach (that doesn't work for anyone but the doctors!)  Sound familiar?  "Benzo deja-vous".

Great Job Hockey Gal!

(Boston Bruin fan born and raised before I moved)