Music

[lo...]

Sins prior to school I have always listened to loud music before my benzo withdrawl I had a massive collection of horrorcore music. I beginning to fear my choice of music isnt winning me any favour in tapering.

You know, i bet music can help.  We've all seen how heavy music can wilt plants but classical can help them thrive.  Also, in old testament, one of the kings was so agitated that he would have David come to the palace to play the harp for him ( can't remember whole story due to k giving me memory problems). But it soothed him. Worth a shot, it's free and doesn't cause any side effects  ;)

I couldn't listen to any music when I was tapering, as it would either ramp up my anxiety or my depression  :(  But thankfully those dark days are long behind me and my ipod is back in action again  :thumbsup:

I am busy experiencing strange effects from music. It seems some make me feel uneasy and some seem to make me feel comfortable. Something like Dope makes feel calm especially when played extremely loud, others like like spiritual music make me feel vulnarable.

Although it has certainly diminished, music is still by far my best chance at escaping (and on a REALLY lucky day I actually enjoy an album) during withdrawal (since I get no pleasure from anything 99% of the time).  Choosing the "right" music though, hmm.  Sorry not to offer any real insight here, I usually just pick something I think I may be in the "mood" for.  If I go thru a few bands albums songs whatever and don't find anything, I try my best to accept it.  Corny as it sounds though, music has literally kept me alive during this process.  Hope you find something.  Like Bevoir said, at least there aren't side effects.

I have to watch what radio stations I listen to. If I'm having a good day I'll put it on the local rock station, but if I'm in the throws of a wave, I usually change the radio to easy listening. All that guitar noise and base make me feel edgy, like I'm out of sorts.

Up until the past few weeks, I could not listen to music as it made me anxious (I must admit, I really enjoy 70's and 80's hard rock).  Things seem to be better for me now as I am able to listen to my ipod more often.  Very strange that listening to music during withdrawal could make one anxious. 

I love music and think I can't live without it. But in the last couple of months sensitivity on sound is very bad. I can't stand some sounds. So when I listen some music it must be not so loud and not some sounds (I can't explain).

I feel like I am going crazy when here some sounds. Baby cries makes me so anxious. I have child so it is not that I don't like children but I just can't stand crying and screaming. That is only some of sounds that bothering me lately.

Hi Marry,

I've been acutely noise sensitive for several months. But I've noticed it started to improve as I get lower in my dose. Like you I LOVE music. This taper has taken so much from me including my love for music. But in the last few weeks I've begun listening to music again and the volume is slowly starting to go back up. More than anything else that is a sign to my husband that I'm beginning to heal.

Leslie  :smitten:

Music is very soothing for me. If I'm having horrific tinnitis--I listen to rock. If I have the jitters I choose intrumental music--Spanish Guitar, Flute, Piano, etc...Music has helped keep me sane.

Sins prior to school I have always listened to loud music before my benzo withdrawl I had a massive collection of horrorcore music. I beginning to fear my choice of music isnt winning me any favour in tapering.

Yeah, i know how that is. horrorcore is definitely not a good choice for right now. I would say to look for something that has a better message.

• 3 weeks later...

Music has been a big plus for me all my life and definitley helped me all through my various ordeals.

There are many different kinds of music I have listened to growing up. Currently, I like oldies and classic rock. Classical music is what helps me most in the evenings especially before bedtime.

Probably THE biggest boost that I get from music is that I am part of the music ministry at church. Especially when I was tapering and w/d would hit, when I would sing in front of the congregation, it would take most of it away. Truly a blessing!

To this day, I enjoy singing both with choir and solo. In fact, I will be soloing this Sunday! My member name "Pang Lingua" means "Sing my Tongue" in Latin and I chose this for obvious reasons.

Last Sun, I had the opportunity to sing kareoke at a friend's party. One of the selections I chose was "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkle". It felt so good to my soul to get that out, especially the last word to the song which gets held a long time. Truly liberating!

I believe it was Bob Marley who once said, "One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain".

I used to listen to tons of heavy metal, and others alike, too. With time I found classical music helps me more on managing anxiety and calming me down.

Hi karaixx :)

I agree with classical music being more soothing and helping with anxiety. I was brought up on all kinds of music from classic rock, oldies and classical. To this day, I listen more to rock music during the day and classical in the evenings.

Some calssical that I can suggest would be: Mendelsohn, Mozart, Brahms, Haydn, and Chopin. I particularly like the Midsummer Nights Dream from Mendelssohn. Music like that reminds me of being in a deep, dark forest. I have some travel pictorial books that I will look at while listening to music such as this. It's a great way to meditate!

Back in high school days, Heavy Metal pretty much was the rule, especially amongst the aquaintances I had. I don't find myself a lot of noastalgia for those days anymore.