Simply Sleep and Klonopin w/d??

[da...]

I started taking Klonopin on June 7 (low dose of .5 or .25 once a day) for two weeks; did a three-week taper and jumped at .125  18 days ago.  I was sleeping much better at the end of last week, but the last two nights, I suddenly have insomnia again.  I can go to sleep, but wake up after about 2 or 3 hours, then have periods where I sleep for a few minutes and have strange dreams during those minutes.  Anyway, I must get some sleep tonight.  I have taken Simply Sleep before with good results (usually one tablet did the trick), but have never used it during this withdrawal.  Would it cause any problems?  I bought some Melatonin today, but I remember when I took it many years ago....I had REALLY vivid dreams.  Would rather take the Simply Sleep if possible....

Any input??  Thanks.

Daisygirl

I had to look up Simply Sleep, daisygirl, and it's nothing more than generic benedryl (25mg).  It should be okay to take.  I take gen. benedryl for allergies and have no problem with it, other than it makes me sleepy.  ;)

I had to look up Simply Sleep, daisygirl, and it's nothing more than generic benedryl (25mg).  It should be okay to take.  I take gen. benedryl for allergies and have no problem with it, other than it makes me sleepy.  ;)

Thanks, Beeper.  It's always helped me before.  I must get some sleep tonight...

I took two Simply Sleep last night (the recommended dose).  Went to sleep quickly, but woke up about 3 hours later.  Was awake for about 15 minutes, then back to sleep.  Woke up 6 hours later....felt slightly groggy, but ok.  A cup of coffee helped....

I need to revise my earlier post.  I felt ok after some coffee today...did a big workout, but this afternoon I have been so tired....just really groggy.  Could this be from the Simply Sleep?

Daisygirl

The few times I took 50mg Benedryl, I was a zombie the next day, so, yes, I think it could be from the Simply Sleep last night.

That stuff (diphenhydramine) definitely has a hang over effect.  The trick is knowing the lowest dose you need.  Suggested is 25-50mg.  I generally take 3-12mg when I take it and try to not take it more than 2 or 3 nights in a row. 

Thanks for the replies.  I have taken it before and usually didn't have a problem, although it's been quite some time since I've taken both tablets.  One usually did the trick.  I think, with the Lexapro and Buspar in my system, it hit me harder this time.  I didn't take any last night...just some ibuprofen a few hours before I went to bed.  Went to sleep quickly, for about 2 1/2 hours, woke up, then back to sleep after about 10 minutes, then another 2 1/2 hours, then awake!!  Ugh!!  Couldn't relax enough to get back to sleep.  I am so sleep deprived right now.....and feel horrible.

Daisygirl

Daisygirl,

I saw in one of your posts you mentioned rapid heartbeats. I was having that issue for a while  , but chalked it up to a sinus procedure that opened me up too much. Long story, but had injection to expand tissue in part of turbinate (in nose) that may have been over reduced about 2 months ago. All i know since the injection i still seem to have panic attacks  ,but no more of the rapid heartbeats. My thinking was /is that since i was so open it was easier for me to hyperventilate. Only problem is now that the injection has caused some congestion that has interfered with my singing , so trying to pinpt what might have been causing the rapid heartbeat stuff. I was having that even before i started trying to taper. I don't want anymore procedures on my sinuses , but if congestion continues I may have to have what was expanded reduced back down, then i'm afraid the extreme jitteryness and rapid heartbeat crap will return. Wondering if it was klonopindoing it , but doesn't make sense that it stopped after airway was slightly reduced in May. Bad situation to be in when you don't know whats coming from what. So pissed i was ever put on this klonopin stuff.

Daisygirl,

I saw in one of your posts you mentioned rapid heartbeats. I was having that issue for a while  , but chalked it up to a sinus procedure that opened me up too much. Long story, but had injection to expand tissue in part of turbinate (in nose) that may have been over reduced about 2 months ago. All i know since the injection i still seem to have panic attacks  ,but no more of the rapid heartbeats. My thinking was /is that since i was so open it was easier for me to hyperventilate. Only problem is now that the injection has caused some congestion that has interfered with my singing , so trying to pinpt what might have been causing the rapid heartbeat stuff. I was having that even before i started trying to taper. I don't want anymore procedures on my sinuses , but if congestion continues I may have to have what was expanded reduced back down, then i'm afraid the extreme jitteryness and rapid heartbeat crap will return. Wondering if it was klonopindoing it , but doesn't make sense that it stopped after airway was slightly reduced in May. Bad situation to be in when you don't know whats coming from what. So pissed i was ever put on this klonopin stuff.

Hi Hoping,

I had rapid heartbeats just one time when I increased my Lexipro dosage.  Sorry you are having a problem.  And yes, I'm with you about being put on Klonopin....I just no idea!  But now I know!!  I'm now having off and on abdominal twinges (mild pain)...in one or two spots, and I have no idea if it's Klonopin withdrawal, anxiety, recently increasing my Lexapro dosage...or something else!!  I'm thinking anxiety...

Hang in there!!

Daisygirl

Hi Daisygirl. I would recommend not drinking coffee if you have sleep problems. Best to have none at all. The caffeine is just not good if you have insomnia. Same goes for tea and even chocolate. I know its hard but if you really have trouble sleeping it is best. Those things can also contribute to heart palpitations. I am an expert on those. Many trips to the hospital and finally had a cardiac ablation. I always avoid all caffeine.

I also use Benadryl which is the same as simply sleep. I only take one pill and it works for me. I also use Unisom, the other unisom, there are 2 types. Not the diphenhydrimine(sp) that is Benadryl. I try to alternate those and melatonin as well. Hopefully one day I can drop them all.

Good luck.

Kathi

Hi Daisygirl. I would recommend not drinking coffee if you have sleep problems. Best to have none at all. The caffeine is just not good if you have insomnia. Same goes for tea and even chocolate. I know its hard but if you really have trouble sleeping it is best. Those things can also contribute to heart palpitations. I am an expert on those. Many trips to the hospital and finally had a cardiac ablation. I always avoid all caffeine.

I also use Benadryl which is the same as simply sleep. I only take one pill and it works for me. I also use Unisom, the other unisom, there are 2 types. Not the diphenhydrimine(sp) that is Benadryl. I try to alternate those and melatonin as well. Hopefully one day I can drop them all.

Good luck.

Kathi

Thanks Kathi.  I have dropped my morning coffee to about 1/4 cup (and weak!), and am trying to wean off of it.  My sleep has been better the past two nights (and I didn't take a sleep aid), although last night I was awake for an hour with worrying, but did manage to get about 6 1/2 hours.  I don't drink tea, and I don't eat chocolate, so I'm okay there.  I have no trouble falling asleep, but I usually wake up after about 3-4 hours (sometimes 2 hours).  Someone posted about counting backwards from 100, and I've discovered that actually helps!

Daisygirl