When is it safe to jump off of Valium

[Kl...]

I am at 6.5mg Valium/day and I know that is too high to jump but I am trying to figure out when so I can figure out how much meds I need. So, what is a reasonable dose of Valium to jump off at? I got started on Lorazapam back in February 2011. Things have been much smoother since I switched to valium.  Thanks.

What I generally say is that the jump point should be no sooner than when your last cut was 50% -- i.e. if you go from 1mg to 0.5mg or 2mg to 1mg, and can tolerate that, then it is "safe" to jump off. There are no guarantees though, there is no such thing as "safe" when dealing with benzos.

0.5mg seems to work generally quite well.

Hey there!!!

I jumped from .5mg...but some people find 1mg is fine...and others cut back even more and come off at .25mg.  I am 8 days free, and although I found things a bit more rough the days following my "jump", I am back to how I felt during my taper...so I didn't get much worse for long.  AND, I wasn't "worse" all day...it was sort of an emotional/physical roller coaster for 3-6 days after jumping...then things went back to "normal"...as normal as things can be. lol

All the best to you...you are getting so close now!!!

Schatje

Thanks Xeno, 0.5mg valium does not sound so bad.....I was afraid I would need to be down to something like 0.1 after reading a few stories. By the way your picture brings back old memories. As a boy I raised and trained a falcon. A few years later I rescued a baby crow from some "mean" kids with firecrackers and raised and trained it. It learned 3 times as fast as the falcon but as it got older it got meaner and would attack the neighbors German Shepard and the elementry kids when they got off the school bus.

That is very encouraging Schatje. I have been sleeping a lot since switching from Lorazapam to Valium. I slept most of Sunday and Monday. It is great. I just don't know if it means my mind is healing or the valium makes me more drowsy. Also anxiety and jitters have almost disappeared but It should like I might get hit with something about 6 days after my cut on the 24th??

Hi there Klondike

Whenever I felt a Diazepam cut, it was normally by the 6th or 7th day...as far as I know (I may be wrong), it somewhat depends on how our body metabolizes things...so if we're quick to do so, then you may have felt the cut by now...but if your body is slower, then it can take a bit longer.  Don't quote me on that one though...LOL.

I slept fairly well throughout my entire taper.  It's been a bit more disrupted since being off of it...but that's partially due to me having a lot of late evening/night time anxiety...but most nights I sleep fairly well.  Diazepam is known to be quite sedating...I know I often felt very dopey/sleepy by 2 or 3pm each day. 

Keep it up...you're doing SO well!!!

Schatje