Unisom

[ma...]

Has anyone had any success with Unisom? I've been using Benadryl for sleep and it has helped tremendously but I suspect it is causing my joint pain. I can't sleep at this point without some help. I've used Unisom now 3 times and while it helps a bit, I still wake up a bunch of times and can't go back to sleep. Are there any negatives about using it while healing. I need more help since I am off wine now for 8 days along with my benzo withdrawal, off 6 mos.

Thanks for your help.

Kathi

Hey Kathi,

Have you tried using melatonin for sleep? It's a natural hormone that's created in the brain, which helps induce sleep. You can get it at mostly any drug store in different milligrams. As far as Unisom, I'd use it only in extreme cases. You could trying searching the word to see if anyone's used it in the forum.

I've used unisom with the doxylamine succinate. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't like yourself.

Have you tried Dramamine? That's what's it's called in the US. Gravol in Canada but same stuff.

The active ingredient is Dimenhydrinate in Gravol and Dramamine.

It is similar to but not the same as benadryl's Diphenhydramine.

That might put you to sleep. Unfortunately, even with over the counter sleep aids, tolerance can happen quite quickly if taken every day.  

Sorry you are having such a rough time with sleep too Maltesemom. (Now I'm back to flying solo and hoping it kicks in the groggy feeling, again. It did for a bit, then left as you know.)

Has anyone had any success with Unisom? I've been using Benadryl for sleep and it has helped tremendously but I suspect it is causing my joint pain. I can't sleep at this point without some help. I've used Unisom now 3 times and while it helps a bit, I still wake up a bunch of times and can't go back to sleep. Are there any negatives about using it while healing. I need more help since I am off wine now for 8 days along with my benzo withdrawal, off 6 mos.

Thanks for your help.

Kathi

Look at the ingrediants- unisom is basically the exact same thing as benedryl.  I've definitely gotten some relief from metatonin if you want to look into that.

PS - I've had plenty of joint pain that has had absolutely 0 to do with benedryl.  There are lots of different reactions to medications, so while I could never tell you that the benedryl is not what is causing your joint pain, you should probably keep in mind that these benzo symptoms come and go and wax and wane on their own.  I think it's human nature to try to associate a sudden problem or sudden improvement with something that you just ate or did, but keep in mind that a lot of this is going to keep chaning up no matter what you do.

Thank you for  your replies everyone. Yes, I've tried melatonin and do use it in between benadryl. It just doesn't work that great. It helps but only lets me sleep a few hours.

Unisom has a different ingredient from Benadryl, but for me it doesn't work as well.

Vancouvergirl, I remember taking dramamine on a cruise and it totally knocked me out, now that you've reminded me. Guess I could try that. I mainly need something for the next week or so as I am getting off the daily wine. I will go back to the melatonin and tryptophan once I feel my body has somewhat balanced without the wine. Don't know how long that will take. I only had 2 glasses daily so I wouldn't think it would be too bad. As long as I'm still having sweats tho, I know I'm not clear.

Of course now that I've given up wine every book I've been reading talks about drinking wine! This is a big test. Its always in fun social situations. What I'll do for sleep!!!!!

Kathi

Thank you for  your replies everyone. Yes, I've tried melatonin and do use it in between benadryl. It just doesn't work that great. It helps but only lets me sleep a few hours.

Unisom has a different ingredient from Benadryl, but for me it doesn't work as well.

Vancouvergirl, I remember taking dramamine on a cruise and it totally knocked me out, now that you've reminded me. Guess I could try that. I mainly need something for the next week or so as I am getting off the daily wine. I will go back to the melatonin and tryptophan once I feel my body has somewhat balanced without the wine. Don't know how long that will take. I only had 2 glasses daily so I wouldn't think it would be too bad. As long as I'm still having sweats tho, I know I'm not clear.

Of course now that I've given up wine every book I've been reading talks about drinking wine! This is a big test. Its always in fun social situations. What I'll do for sleep!!!!!

Kathi

They have changed the formula of Dramamine so now it is the same as Benadryl, so I don't know if you will be able to find the original formula. Unisom (not the gel ones, because those are the same as Benadryl) works better for me than Benadryl, but at times I have taken 2 Unisoms and 1 Benadryl. Unisom has an added benefit for me, because I have a chronic allergic cough, and one Unisom each night keeps it under control. I used to take a bunch of asthma meds that did that same thing, but it seems safer to me to take the Unisom. The pharmacist told it was bad to take long-term but I can't find anything to prove that, and it has to be safer than prescription sleep meds.

Is joint pain listed as a side effect for Benadryl? Because if it isn't, I wouldn't blame the Benadryl. I originally blamed a lot of my symptoms on the asthma meds, but the symptoms didn't go away after I quit the asthma drugs, and now 4 years later, I still have the same symptoms.

Thanks Greene. I guess I won't bother with the dramamine and stay with the unisom for a while. Is Unisom an antihistamine?

Maybe I'm imagining it, but my joint pain seems to be better not using the benadryl. I will test it again after about a week. My joints are still sore, just don't seem as painful all the time. I hope it is the benadryl cuz otherwise I have no clue why my joints are hurting so bad. I've been exercising and it isn't helping, just feels worse. It is in my feet and a couple fingers and then my wrist has been hurting and popping. So strange. I don't think its the benzo withdrawal, but who knows.

Thanks for the info. So happy to have all these informed people. We can all really help each other...from both the good and bad things we've experienced.

Unisom is a different antihistamine than Benadryl.

THere is an OTC herbal formula called "Alteril" that works quite well.

A lot of people use alcohol, and get into trouble with alcohol, by using it to sleep. What a lot of people don't know is that alcohol has a 4 hour depressant effect, and a 6-hour stimulant effect. So when the alcohol wears off, they often wake up.

What a lot of people don't know is that alcohol has a 4 hour depressant effect, and a 6-hour stimulant effect. So when the alcohol wears off, they often wake up.

I've never heard this before, but I'm adding it to my list of reasons why I shouldn't drink  ???

wow. That is really interesting. It makes a lot of sense tho. It calms you so you can go to sleep, but then it wakes you up and then you can't go back to sleep from the stimulant part. That's awful. Never heard of alteril but will look into it. Have you had personal success with it? It is an antihistamine?

Hi maltesemom,

We moved your thread back because we changed the description of the board from Other Orescribed Meds to Other Meds, which now includes otc meds.  :thumbsup:

I tried Unisom the other night.  I did sleep for 7 hours, but I woke up in a panic and adrenalin surge like I used to when I was tapering.  Don't think I'll try it again. :P

A lot of people use alcohol, and get into trouble with alcohol, by using it to sleep. What a lot of people don't know is that alcohol has a 4 hour depressant effect, and a 6-hour stimulant effect. So when the alcohol wears off, they often wake up.

Funny thing - the other night I was extra keyed up so I had a drink before bed. I slept for a few hours and then I was wide awake most of the night. The next day I read your post. It is so true!