Benedryl and joint pain

[ma...]

Has anyone noticed joint pain and arthritis from benedryl? I can't figure out why I am having so much pain in my hands and feet and wonder if it could be from the benedryl. That is the only new thing (couple months) I am doing. I am 6 mos off temazapam for about 10yrs off and on with ambien.

Hi,

Benadryl can have side effects, but I have not seen any literature where it mentions that it can cause joint pain.

I hope you feel better.

Thank you. I am just looking for a reason for this new joint pain and benedryl was the only thing I could come up with. It is drying to your body so I was thinking maybe it is drying to your joints. I did read a post somewhere on the internet about benedryl causing joint pain in one woman. I guess I will just have to stop it and see if the pain goes away. Of course that means I won't be sleeping. Withdrawing from daily wine has make the insomnia way worse right now.

Maltese, just out of curiousity, how much benadryl do you take? If I take it once a month or so, 50mg will put me out. But lately insomnia has been so bad and work has been so busy that I've been taking it most nights of the week. I had to increase to 75mg last week, and 100mg last night. I'm going to have to just suck it up soon and not take any so I can get my tolerance level back down. Just wondered what dose you were taking.

Thanks!

Libby

Hi Libby. I only take 25mg, one pill. I have had to use it daily for the last several months with severe insomnia from withdrawal. I didn't take it last nite and my joints are not as sore. I really think the benedryl is what is causing my joint pain. The scary thing is now what do I do for sleep? Don't want to go back to ambien. I am also quitting daily wine and that is making my insomnia way worse.

As far as taking so much benedryl, I thought you could only take up to 50mg or two pills. I don't think it's probably a good idea to take so much. You have developed tolerance to it I imagine. Have you tried unisom? It is a different ingredient. I used it last nite. NOt as effective as benedryl, but it helps. I plan to use it for a week or so while I go this wine withdrawal then will go back to melatonin 2.5 and 500 tryptophan.

I sympathize. I have horrible insomnia and don't even get that sleepy feeling. I think without help I wouldn't sleep at all.

Good luck.

Hey Maltese-

Yeah, I'm not pleased with having to take so much! It's not a good idea, I don't think. I have other rx meds that I take that make me tired, and I usually rotate between a few of them so I'm not taking the same thing every night. Just the last week I haven't been doing that. I'm going to start roatating again tonight, and I'm sure my tolerance will go back down quickly so I can get back to just taking 50mg every now and again. I hate to say this, because I feel like it's going to jinx me, but I've actually been sleeping pretty dang good for the last ten days or so! So hopefully maybe I'm through the worst of it. *fingers crossed*

Best to you as well! Good to know about the possible connection between benadryl and joint pain. Thanks!

Libby

congratulations Libby on sleeping. You have only been off since May so that is amazing. Are you sleeping without any drugs? I was doing terrible, maybe 2-3 hours a nite. I finally gave in and started on the benedryl and have been feeling much better...till the joint pain got so bad. It is better today so I will give it a week to see if the pain keeps decreasing. It's not that I love benedryl, but it does help me sleep...but I don't want bad joint pain from it either. Just want to sleep naturally!!!!

Kathi

Hey Kathi-

Oh heavens no I'm not sleeping naturally! I am prescribed mild muscle relaxants for my spinal cord injury- they make me tired most of the time, but not always, and don't help with the pain, so I take them pretty much solely to help me fall asleep. When they don't work, that's when I take benadryl on top of it (or sometimes, I'll try to give myself a break from the muscle relaxants and just take benadryl). I also take melatonin sometimes, the exact same kind you do I think (sublingual 2.5mg). I was taking 5HTP but it wasn't making a difference so I stopped. I take neurontin for spinal cord and the nighttime dose is double the daytime dose, but it's not enough to put me to sleep alone. I also have phenergan for nausea from neurological damage, and sometimes I take that and not anything else (but tolerance builds quickly to that one too). I'm with you, I just want to sleep naturally. But I know I'm still early in the game...as long as I sleep a somewhat relatively okay number of hours a few nights out of the week, I'm okay. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't! Wishing you the best.

Libby

Maltesemom, I was looking for your signature, do you think you could add one so BBs can help you better?

Anyway, I was trying to figure out your benzo situation because for me w/d has caused a lot of arthritis type pain in my hands and feet.  It might be w/d.  Is Temazapam a benzo?  I know Ambien is a Z drug.

HI perseverance. I don't know how to add the signature. Temazapam is a benzo for sleep. I've used it for probably 12yrs off and on with ambien. when one stops working I switched to the other. It actually worked pretty well until I started to think my awful digestive problems were from the temazapam. They are better off the drug but still have morning diarrhea???

I was wondering how people had their information about tapering in that small print at the bottom. How do you do that?

Kathi

Kathi, to add a signature:

1) Click on 'profile' above (under the shout out block)

2) You will see on the right side of the screen a box 'Modify Profile'- click on 'Forum Profile Information' in that box

3) Scroll down to 'signature' and type your information in the box

4) Click on 'Change Profile' at the bottom, and you're done!

Thanks Perseverance. I hope it worked. We'll see. Are you sleeping well now? How long off before you could sleep naturally for a decent amount of time? Did you use benadryl after your taper or any natural things?

Thanks for your help.

Kathi

Kathi,

I was trying Melatonin at the end of my benzo use just before I went to Detox, when my Endocrinologist told me it was a bad idea because it can cause your body to stop making its own.  I didn't like taking it anyway because it gave me a hang over the next day.  So when I went to Detox that was it.  I took nothing for sleep, that is where I had my 6 consecutive nights of zero sleep.  The last night there I slept 1 hour, that was it.

When I returned home, I still only slept 1 hour a night, then it increased to 3 per night.  That is when I bought the self hypnosis CD.  It walked me through relaxing all my muscle groups and stopped my mind from obsessing.  I then began to sleep 5 hours a night.  After a few more weeks it turned into 6-7 hours, then during my 3rd month out it went to 7-8.

I still have an occasional sleepless night, but I just deal with it.  I really don't notice much of a difference the next day anyway because I have w/d fatigue and daytime 'sleepy' feeling no matter if I sleep or not.

Hi Libby. I only take 25mg, one pill. I have had to use it daily for the last several months with severe insomnia from withdrawal. I didn't take it last nite and my joints are not as sore. I really think the benedryl is what is causing my joint pain. The scary thing is now what do I do for sleep? Don't want to go back to ambien. I am also quitting daily wine and that is making my insomnia way worse.

As far as taking so much benedryl, I thought you could only take up to 50mg or two pills. I don't think it's probably a good idea to take so much. You have developed tolerance to it I imagine. Have you tried unisom? It is a different ingredient. I used it last nite. NOt as effective as benedryl, but it helps. I plan to use it for a week or so while I go this wine withdrawal then will go back to melatonin 2.5 and 500 tryptophan.

I sympathize. I have horrible insomnia and don't even get that sleepy feeling. I think without help I wouldn't sleep at all.

Good luck.

benedryl works good for me... unisom has the opposite effect makes my mind race....

Perseverance, did you have bad sleep issues prior to benzo use? I did. That is why I wonder if I will ever be able to sleep because I couldn't before benzos. My doctor was worried because I was getting so little sleep. I would go for 3 weeks with almost no sleep. He gave me temazapam to use during those cycles but the cycles became nightly.

My problem was always getting to sleep. Once asleep I was ok. That is no longer true. If I get to sleep, I wake up in an hour or two now, without Benadryl.

My naturapath said taking melatonin won't down regulate your body's melatonin production. This is what bugs me. No doctors ever have the same opinion. She told me it is ok to take the melaton and she gives high doses to cancer patients. Its an antioxidant.

Still, I'd rather not take it nightly. If I have to stop the Benadryl due to joint pain, then I will have to go back to melatonin and tryptphan for a while. They at least help a little. I don't mind taking the tryptophan, if it works.

It doesn't sound like your sleep issues were as bad as mine since you were getting some natural sleep after a few mos off. I'm 6 mos off and no natural sleep. I know sunny and wellness sound like me with the no sleep.

I wish someone could tell me if I will be able to sleep without drugs at some point since I had such bad insomnia, prior to benzos

No doctors ever have the same opinion.

That's why they call them doctors. Doctor is actually another word for ambiguity. Makes you feel safe doesn't it?

Hey you.

Exactly VG! lol !

I must say though, while I am now a super skeptic when a doctor tells me anything, I do agree with what she said about Melatonin.  I believe from my own research into the subject that whenever you put the synthetic equivalent of what you body makes naturally into your body, your body will produce less because of the homeostasis factor.

Maltese, I am sorry you have had such a difficult time with sleep.  Has any doctor ever sent you to a sleep clinic?  From what I have heard they find non-drug solutions for severe insomniacs.  They narrow down the specific causes in ways a doctor in an office can't.  That is what I would do if I had it as bad as you.

After experiencing a severe insomnia period myself, I really empathise with this.  If someone has never been there, they really can't fully imagine what it is like.  I know the feeling of desperation to just get ONE good nights sleep, it is a horrible situation to be in.

Do you consume caffeine?  I read that caffeine surprisingly has a 12 hour half-life.  Another thing I am thinking you could do is to try to stimulate natural Melatonin production by dimming the lights in your house and turning down the brightness on your TV and computer 2 hours before bedtime.  I do this every night.  I bought a bunch of night lights and put them around the house and try to keep it as dark as possible.

I also try to keep my mind calm before bedtime.  I don't answer the phone after 9PM and only watch low key stuff on TV.  I try not to get into any stimulating conversations either.

Have you tried a self hypnosis CD to sleep?  The one I use is made by Beverly Hills Hypnosis and is titled "Living Life! Anxiety and Stress Free: Reduce Stress through Hypnosis."  I bought it from Amazon.com.

Do you have pain that keeps you awake?  I use Thermacare heating pads and leg warmers on various parts of my body so pain does not prevent me from falling asleep or wake me up in the night.

I wear moisture wicking nightgowns that give me the ability to sleep through w/d night sweats.  I also make it a point to go to bed and get up in the morning at the exact same time every night/day.

These are all of the non-drug things I have done to get where I am now with sleep.  I don't know if any of them will help you, but I hope you can take at least one thing away that will.  You're in my prayers!

Hi Vancouvergirl. Guess we frequent the same places. Keep me posted on your joint pain. I really think mine is a bit better after two days off Benadryl. Hope i'm not imagining it, but I do think it is better.

Kathi

Hi Perseverance. thank you for all the good suggestions. Unfortunately, I already do all those things and no I really don't have pain, other than this recent joint pain that I think is from the Benadryl.

I went to a sleep clinic in Orange and saw the head neurologist (I think that's what he was) He is the head of the clinic. He wanted me to take AD during the day instead of sleeping pills. I told him no thanks, I'm not depressed I just need to sleep. He said to stop the wine. Then the typical things about going to bed when you are tired, getting up at the same time etc. No real help since my problem is I don't get sleepy...except during the day when I'm exhausted, but I can't nap either. I've never taken a nap in my life. I think most people in withdrawal are not as bad as I am. I had terrible sleep issues before the benzos. So why would I be a good sleeper after them???? The sleep clinic said they don't normally do sleep studies for insomnia because often people don't go to sleep at all. That would surely be me. I don't think the test works if you don't sleep.

I have to do my sleep routine every nite or I don't sleep. It takes me about 2 hours to wind down...usually reading in bed...with Benadryl. If the Benadryl is causing my joint pain I won't be able to use it. Do you know anything about Unisom? I don't think there is anything left for me. I need extra help now since I am in withdrawal from wine...hopefully it won't last long but I have the sweating again, high heart rate and increased insomnia symptoms. What a mess. This is why my friend is back on ambien....even tho it only works for 3hrs. She is using the CR now. Thanks for any suggestions. I surely need help with sleep.

I will Maltesemom. It's odd we are both experiencing joint pain after taking benadryl. And you said you found another person too. I seriously can't believe I'd google that a few days before I saw your post asking the same thing.  I'll let you know in a few days.

Hi Perseverance lol.

Maltese, I am so sorry you are worried if you will still have sleep issues as you had them before benzos. I completely understand. Quite frankly, that is awful. I really hope it kicks in for you and I understand how tired you must be and how fed up. I hope that changes for you it gets remedied. I hope you don't mind my question to Perse on your thread. And thankyou.

Perseverance, I read you said a doc said to you that if you introduce synthetic melatonin to the brain it will stop producing melatonin. Is then supplement melatonin, synthetic? I thought it was natural melatonin if there is such a thing lol. If there is such a thing. Forgive my utter ignorance with this. I was going to buy some and try again and see if it worked. I hear they have time released now. Just use is here and there.

*(a little sleep study story. A man named Dr. Michael Thorpy in New Jersey or New York is one of the top sleep study clinic docs. He wrote in the NY Times sleeping pills aren't addictive and people taper as it is only a psychological process. Google the write up.  I looked it up and he is on the payroll of Sonafi-Aventis the makers of Ambien. He is also on the payroll of the makers of Lunesta, Sepracor Inc. And about 4 other pharma co.s.

As well I met someone on the boards who went to a sleep study. The wanted her to of course get off Ambien, they were going to rip her off. And they were going to work on circadian rhythms etc., for sleep hygiene. They did not address downregualed GABA in the mix to which would make it impossible for the circadian rhythms to work while she is in withdrawal. She didn't do it of course.

Point being, do your homework FIRST with what they do in the study. Apparently they are not as educated as many would like to think. I'm sure that varies from place to place, but good to know right?)

Perseverance, I read you said a doc said to you that if you introduce synthetic melatonin to the brain it will stop producing melatonin. Is then supplement melatonin, synthetic? I thought it was natural melatonin if there is such a thing lol. If there is such a thing. Forgive my utter ignorance with this. I was going to buy some and try again and see if it worked. I hear they have time released now. Just use is here and there.

Hi VG,

The short answer- Any Melatonin in a bottle is not exactly the same as what your body makes, thus it is under the same umbrella as 'synthetic' -meaning, not made by your body.  They may have obtained it from 'natural' sources in nature, and then labeled it 'Natural Melatonin.'  Basically anything obtained from sources outside your body is what we were talking about.

*(a little sleep study story. A man named Dr. Michael Thorpy in New Jersey or New York is one of the top sleep study clinic docs. He wrote in the NY Times sleeping pills aren't addictive and people taper as it is only a psychological process. Google the write up.  I looked it up and he is on the payroll of Sonafi-Aventis the makers of Ambien. He is also on the payroll of the makers of Lunesta, Sepracor Inc. And about 4 other pharma co.s.

Ha! Good investigative work VG!  Fine example of one of the reasons doctors are confused about benzos.  I mean, if a top sleep clinic is dishing out this kind of propaganda no wonder, right?

As well I met someone on the boards who went to a sleep study. The wanted her to of course get off Ambien, they were going to rip her off. And they were going to work on circadian rhythms etc., for sleep hygiene. They did not address downregualed GABA in the mix to which would make it impossible for the circadian rhythms to work while she is in withdrawal. She didn't do it of course.

Point being, do your homework FIRST with what they do in the study. Apparently they are not as educated as many would like to think. I'm sure that varies from place to place, but good to know right?)

Just when I though I was the ultimate skeptic, turns out I fell for another medical 'expert'!  You are right of course, can't trust anything these days- have to do homework on EVERYTHING don't we! LOL!  Even if they are educated, what does that exactly mean anymore.  It's getting pretty scary isn't it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maltesemom,

Today I was using the search box to see if others are having joint pain and came across the thread listed below.  I also found your thread thought that you might like to look at this one:

Withdrawal & Recovery Support > Benzo/PAWS instance body/joint and muscle pain!!! @: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=35680.0

There seems to be a lot of us having joint pain in many stage of healing from the Benzos.  I personally have been taking 1 pill of Benedryl for the last several months because of allergies.  I have used it every Spring and early Summer for many years and have never had this problem before.  So, I don't know if it could be the reason I am having joint pain now or if it is just another symptom of W/D.  I kind of think for me it is just a W/D symptom.

I have also used the search box before to look for sleep aides and came across a thread in which a person said they had used "MidNight" during W/D.  It is made with "Natural Herbs".  It is very effective for me in even very small amounts.  (I take 1/4 or 1/2 of a pill.  One pill is a dose amount.  A second pill can be taken during a single night though.)  It contains 1.5 mg of Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Chamomile and Lavender.  It is not supposed to be habit forming, is drug free and causes no morning grogginess.  Sounds awfully good to be true, huh.  I don't "think" any of the ingredients are harmful during W/D or post W/D but would like you to do a search on your own for that assurance.  

Another person on the sleep aide thread said they used an herbal formula called "Calms Forte' ".  It is also somewhat effective for me and does not have Melatonin in it.  So, maybe one or both of these things might be of some help to you.   Perhaps they could be used in a rotation with other things.  Please do let me know if you have reason to believe that they are not a good idea during W/D.  Thank you!

I wish you the very best and some very deep Sweet Dreams.

Lily

I came back to say that MidNight is available at our local small Wal-Mart.  I hope something helps you!

Hi Lily. I was just reading another post of yours about joint pain. I have been having it for a while and it seemed a lot worse lately. I couldn't come up with a reason why, otherthan the Benadryl. So I switched to Unisom and I have to say, the joint pain is better. Not gone, but better. It could be a coincidence. I will try the benadryl again in a while to check and see if the pain gets worse. I know joint pain can be a withdrawal symptom but mine hasn't been that bad until recently. Vancouvergirl also is having joint pain and taking Benadryl.

Someone on another site told me benadryl affects the gaba receptors too and you won't heal if you use it. I can't stand multiple nites with no sleep, so I have to use something to help with sleep. I also want my gaba receptors to heal so it is a catch 22 situation.

I have had joint pain for a while but it is truly worse now so at almost 7 mos out I wouldn't expect it to be from withdrawal, but I guess it could be. I would love to be able to sleep without any drugs, but so far I can't.

Have you tried allegra for allergy? that is what I use. There is also a homeopathic called Sabadil that also helps me.

I have Calms Forte on my nightstand and sometimes it helps, but mostly is not strong enuf. I will look into the Midnight. I thought it had valerian and I can't take that. It hypes me up. It also works on Gaba receptors so wan to avoid it. If it doesn't have valerian, I think I'll try it. Thanks