New and tapered off Ativan, now want off Valium

[Kr...]

Hey everybody. I'd like to start by saying I had been taking Ativan(Lorazepam) 0.5mg twice a day for two months(April 24-June 20 approximately) for panic attacks. I decided to taper off my dose last month to half of that for two weeks, then half of that half, for two weeks, as directed by my psychiatrist. By the final week I began having increased anxiety, heightened panic attacks that didn't seem to end in intensity, insomnia, and uncontrollable muscle tremors. I also had severe suicidal thoughts because these symptoms were so bad. It got to the point where my sister rushed me to the ER this Fri. where they gave me a shot of Valium, and I've been taking 5 mg pills every 12hrs since. The worst of the symptoms of last week seem to be over, but only because the Valium is keeping me stable. So here I am, 3 days later, now prescribed Valium, but I want off of benzos COMPLETELY. What should I do? How do i taper off the valium? My doctor says stay on the Ativan, and i'm not having it. Is there ANYBODY that can point me in the right direction here? Thanks.

-Krikit1991

Hey Kritkit1991,

If I'm gathering everything correctly, you've been making .25mg reductions every two weeks. It seems your body isn't handling that well, as the reduction is bigger than suggested. My doctor gave me the same advice when I first talk to him about a taper from Xanax. I'm glad you're stabilizing, though. How much Valium were you prescribed? Since you're switched over to Valium, it might be a good idea to taper from that. It's a longer acting benzo and makes for a smoother taper. I'm not familiar with Valium dosages, but someone should be here soon to help you. Try not to panic, what you're feeling is common withdrawal, but a little exasperated by the .25mg reductions. Welcome to BenzoBuddies  :)

Hello Krikit1991 and welcome to BB! I am so sorry you had such a hard time with your first taper. I agree that it seemed too fast for your body and am glad to hear you have stabalized on the Valium and are feeling better. If you post on the taper forum we can help you put a plan together for tapering off the Valium at a better pace. I did not taper Valium but I know a lot of people follow the Ashton method to taper off using Valium. Hang in there and let us know how we can continue to help!

I wasn't sure how to explain the measurements but yes that's correct. Although I was only on it for 2 months, the month-long taper got the best of me in the end. I'm surpised how powerful these little pills are(Ativan)! I'm prescribed 5 mg Valium to take every 12 hrs, which I started on the 17th. I'll most def. post on the Taper forum. Thanks for the prompt responses!

Hi Krikit1991, welcome :)

It looks like they put you on the same potency as your were initially on, 5mg Valium is about equivalent to .5 mg Ativan. So essentially you're back where you started before your taper. It's ok though because it would be easier to taper from Valium than from Ativan since Valium lasts longer. It's generally suggested to taper by 10% reductions about every 7 to 14 days or so depending on how you feel.

I'm glad you feel stable now, maybe take the taper a little slower this time and hopefully you have a softer landing. We're here for you, let us know if you have any questions.

Star

Hi

I got help tapering with Valium . read my posts . It could help you in your situation.

Im here for you too. If I can . HoneymXXX