Prescription Clonazepam problems need tritation help

[me...]

Hi all, thanks for being here!

I was prescribed clonazepam a bit over a year ago and took 3-4 mgs a day faithfully as prescribed. Little did I know what problems it would cause me!

So far I have dry cut to 1.5 megs and stabilized after 1 month (taking 3 - .5 mg doses a day).

After reading about titration I ordered all the necessary items - 100 ml tube, crusher and pipette. I started the milk titration just 3 days ago. Having some symptoms but not enough to stop me.

My question is; can I now cut my milk dose (minus the what I'm throwing) into only one or two doses instead of three? Will that affect me badly since I took dry pills 3XS a day?

I'd like to start that tonight but will wait to hear from you. I don't want to get in a mess.

I'm also taking 10-15 megs of hydrocodone and I use lidoderm patches for the terrible back pain I get when reducing.

Also, is reducing 1 ml a day a good place to start? That is what I've done - so next dose would be 3 ml short of 1.5 mgs in 100 ml tube.

I'm looking forward to getting some help! :laugh:

I also restarted smoking after 5 years of being smoke-free.:idiot: Do you think the reduction in the meds prompted this?

Hello medgonewrong, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on your decision to be free of Klonopin, have you let your Dr know your intentions?  It's always good to have them on board in case you need additional prescriptions to do a safe, slow taper.  You can dose as many, or as few times a day as you need to feel comfortable, and to fit into your lifestyle.  Do you normally take the hydrocodone, or are you using it as a benzo withdrawal adjucnt, I'd hate to see you use one addictive substance to get free from another one.

So you're putting the entire 1.5 mgs in 100 mls of milk and withdrawing 1 ml cumulative each day?

Pam

Hi and welcome to BenzoBuddies, medgonewrong.

In response to your question about going to 2x/day dosing from 3x/day, with Klonopin's longish half-life, 2x/day dosing should be okay.  However, you may want to make the shift slowly.  Have you thought of maybe reducing only your mid-day dose and leaving your morning and evening doses as they are until you are dosing just 2x/day?  That would be one way of making the shift slowly.

Hello medgonewrong, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on your decision to be free of Klonopin, have you let your Dr know your intentions?  It's always good to have them on board in case you need additional prescriptions to do a safe, slow taper.  You can dose as many, or as few times a day as you need to feel comfortable, and to fit into your lifestyle.  Do you normally take the hydrocodone, or are you using it as a benzo withdrawal adjucnt, I'd hate to see you use one addictive substance to get free from another one.

So you're putting the entire 1.5 mgs in 100 mls of milk and withdrawing 1 ml cumulative each day?

Pam

Thanks for the quick reply Pam. Dr. doesn't know yet but I have plenty on pills on hand for now. I have taken hydrocodone for pain for 5+ years it helped to keep me working as I had a 2 1/2 hr daily commute to work. I was just laid off July 11, I am always in pain from the fibromyalgia - possible MS.

Yes, I'm putting the entire 1.5 mgs in 100 mls of milk and withdrawing 1 ml cumulative each day. Is that a good plan?

I want to go to 1 dose at nighttime to make it less of a chore but am a bit scared about that.

So far I'm having intense muscle pain (which is also a part of the fibro), sweating, cognitive probs and an overall feeling of being unconnected.

Thank God I'm laid off now or I wouldn't be able to function at work. I also use lidoderm patches for the fibro - but they are a real help for the back pain I get with withdrawal. They are not addictive. I've also cut my Hydrocodone from 3 to 2 pills a day since being laid off. Once in a while I take 3.

Do you think my titration plan is sound?

medgonewrong

In response to your question about going to 2x/day dosing from 3x/day, with Klonopin's longish half-life, 2x/day dosing should be okay.  However, you may want to make the shift slowly.  Have you thought of maybe reducing only your mid-day dose and leaving your morning and evening doses as they are until you are dosing just 2x/day?  That would be one way of making the shift slowly.

Beeper, thanks for the suggestion!

So I need to pour a lesser amount in my noon dose which will increase my morning and evening dose? Then when I'm done with that start reducing the morning dose until I have just an evening dose? Or will I always need to have 2 doses?

How quickly do you think it is feasible to do that?

I really want to get off this stuff as quickly as possible but without much trouble!

thanks,

medgonewrong

I'm concerned you'll be reducing too quickly if you put the entire 1.5 mg into the cylinder, what would you say to only putting 1 mg in, then taking the .5 by mouth until you've finished tapering the 1 mg? 

As for your dosing times, you can proceed with eliminating your doses as quickly or as gradually as you need to, but pay attention to how you feel, and wait a few days between each reduction of your midday dose for your body to fully realize the reduction.  The last thing you want to do is confuse your body, it's best to get on a set schedule and stay with it.

One thing which is very important to wrap your mind around is that it's not good to get off of this drug quickly, the slow tapers allow us to remain functional, and allow for healing along the way.  This will hopefully lessen the amount of pain you must endure after your last dose.

I'm very sorry to hear of your Fibromyalgia and possible MS, I'm afraid with this you're going to be quite uncomfortable while you taper.  Benzo withdrawal mimics these two conditions, in fact many members have been diagnosed but come to realize, it's the drug and all symptoms leave them as they heal.  This won't be true in your case since you were diagnosed before you began taking the Klonopin, I'm sorry.

I'm concerned you'll be reducing too quickly if you put the entire 1.5 mg into the cylinder, what would you say to only putting 1 mg in, then taking the .5 by mouth until you've finished tapering the 1 mg?  

As for your dosing times, you can proceed with eliminating your doses as quickly or as gradually as you need to, but pay attention to how you feel, and wait a few days between each reduction of your midday dose for your body to fully realize the reduction.  The last thing you want to do is confuse your body, it's best to get on a set schedule and stay with it.

One thing which is very important to wrap your mind around is that it's not good to get off of this drug quickly, the slow tapers allow us to remain functional, and allow for healing along the way.  This will hopefully lessen the amount of pain you must endure after your last dose.

I'm very sorry to hear of your Fibromyalgia and possible MS, I'm afraid with this you're going to be quite uncomfortable while you taper.  Benzo withdrawal mimics these two conditions, in fact many members have been diagnosed but come to realize, it's the drug and all symptoms leave them as they heal.  This won't be true in your case since you were diagnosed before you began taking the Klonopin, I'm sorry.

Pamster,

I can't believe you went cold turkey off the amount you were taking. Jeeze I can't imagine!

The dry cut I made from 3 mg to 1.5 mgs sent me to the web searching for answers. I was amazed that 1 mg of this drug = 10 of valium. I was not informed when I began taking it. It helped the fibro pain at first but then all the other problems stated.

I thought my taper may have been too quick but just wasn't positive so I'm glad for your guidance. I think I will hold at the 97 ml for 5 days - see how that goes then move to reducing doses. If I don't stabilize in the 5 days I will taper the 1 mg as suggested and take the .5 dry. I just hate to go backwards!

Right now, after 3 ml reduction in 3 days I'm having burning and all over muscle cramping. It's difficult to distinguish between the reduction and fibro-flare. I sure don't want to end up in bed for weeks!

Also, I seem to be loosing weight and muscle with no real change in diet. Is this a part of the withdrawal process?

I have to use the 'quotes' to keep this all straight for a while so please bear with me.

Another question! How much am I reducing by taking 1 ml out of the 100 ml tube of with the 1.5 mgs? I just can't figure it out.

THANKS!

It sounds as if your body is letting you know you've been going too fast, I'm glad you're listening and will hold for a time.  I know you hate to go backwards, but if you end up in bed for weeks, non functional, it makes no sense to think this way.  Many people lose weight, but it seems like it's more a problem with nausea and inability to exercise properly, rather than a physiological change in us due to withdrawal.  Keep an eye on your weight and add more calories if things get scary.

I'm titration stupid, so I can't help you figure out the 1.5 mg to 100 ml rate, and we don't have anyone on the team at the moment who is sharp with the numbers, I'm sorry.  When you begin to reduce again, remember you can hold your reductions and do them every other day if things don't feel right, with your condition, you need to pay extra attention to what's going on. 

How much am I reducing by taking 1 ml out of the 100 ml tube of with the 1.5 mgs? I just can't figure it out.

0.015mg. 1% of your original 1.5mg dose a day, increasing exponentially as you get lower.

Many of these daily reduction tapers, I see it typical for people to go for a 100 day taper (reduce 1ml a day from 100ml), and that is usually way too fast. I would do as Pam suggested. Really, with daily reductions, since the reductions occur over every single day and there is no holding and waiting period, you can make yourself very, very sick if you don't pay close attention to how you are feeling -- but I see you are doing that.  :thumbsup:

How much am I reducing by taking 1 ml out of the 100 ml tube of with the 1.5 mgs? I just can't figure it out.

0.015mg. 1% of your original 1.5mg dose a day, increasing exponentially as you get lower.

:thumbsup:

I was so wiped out last night I guess I didn't get my message posted.

Do you know how much of a reduction that would = in the .75 dry pills?

I am holding now at the 97 ml milk titration and divided the dose at 50 ml last night, 30 this AM and about 17 to take in a few minutes. I felt better this morning for sure. Was sweating and muscle cramps so bad last night I couldn't think straight.

Also am having trouble seeing the measurement on the vial - thinking about adding food color to the milk or trying water. I think my eyesight is being affected. OMG this sucks.

I see there is a blog which I better start to keep track of what I'm doing - can't remember a thing.

Thanks for your help. I'm holding for a while.

PS am I posting in the right place?

You can start a progress blog here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=87.0

No one can post to it, it will be for your own personal use to record how you feel and your reductions.

If you want a blog where others can post, you can start one in "Buddie Blogs".

I don't have an answer to your taper question, but I'll let the other team members know, and hopefully someone will be by to answer your question. :)

:thumbsup:

I was so wiped out last night I guess I didn't get my message posted.

Do you know how much of a reduction that would = in the .75 dry pills?

I am holding now at the 97 ml milk titration and divided the dose at 50 ml last night, 30 this AM and about 17 to take in a few minutes. I felt better this morning for sure. Was sweating and muscle cramps so bad last night I couldn't think straight.

Also am having trouble seeing the measurement on the vial - thinking about adding food color to the milk or trying water. I think my eyesight is being affected. OMG this sucks.

I see there is a blog which I better start to keep track of what I'm doing - can't remember a thing.

Thanks for your help. I'm holding for a while.

PS am I posting in the right place?

Hi,

When you would like a reply to your thread, it's better to make a new post.  When you just edit the one you made before, it won't show up as a new post and will most likely be missed by others.

We can continue to discuss your titration here, or you could make a new thread on the Titration Taper Plans board to discuss issues specific to titration. 

I'm glad you're holding at .97 mls, and dividing your doses, that should help you keep your levels more even throughout the day.  Your plan to use food coloring might be useful, I've never heard of that one.  Many members use water because they like to see the particles, it gives them some comfort.  You do know that you must stir or shake the drug milk right, that the pills don't dissolve?

I have upped my night-time dose to 50 ml, morning to 30 ml and noon to 17 ml and am feeling MUCH better! Thank you for the suggestion! I've held now since this posting and think I'm ready for another drop. Progress is sweet.

thanks again,

Beeper

I'm glad you are feeling better today.  You will probably find that symptoms ebb and flow for no apparent reason, though it's natural to search for something to do to feel better.  Good luck and take care of yourself.

Many of these daily reduction tapers, I see it typical for people to go for a 100 day taper (reduce 1ml a day from 100ml), and that is usually way too fast. I would do as Pam suggested. Really, with daily reductions, since the reductions occur over every single day and there is no holding and waiting period, you can make yourself very, very sick if you don't pay close attention to how you are feeling -- but I see you are doing that.  :thumbsup:

XenofeR I need your help. Can you tKe a lookmT my blog? At the very end is my titration schedule- please see if my figures are correct. I could really use the help.

Hi Beeper,

i see so many people cutting and titrating so much faster than me. So many went C/T too. I just want to speed up the process. Today I'm dropping 2 ml of the milk mixture which will get me down to 1.38 of my original 1.5.

I had previously been taking 2-3 a day for a year and I dropped down to 1.5 and with-in a few weeks was stable enough to begin milk titration.

What do you think of be dropping even faster? I want off this stuff and at this rate it will take 18 months to get off 1.5 mgs. i think it's too slow. I want to get on with my life - my main symptoms are sweating, stomach and muscle pain.

Please I need advise.

thanks!

I think you could speed up a bit for a week or two and then reevaluate how you feel.  If the symptoms are manageable, you could continue at that rate or, if you are so inclined, speed up a bit more.  I just don't want you to get too far ahead of the healing and then get hit with an "accumulation" of symptoms.  Are you currently removing 2ml cumulative each day out of a 100ml container?