itching hives

Woke up this am with itching all over my head, neck and torso.  Could have been a number of things I ate or meds I took yesterday.  Today I changed everything I ate and only thing the same is the klonopin.  I am wondering if I am allergic to it.  I have multiple allergies to drugs, so might have developed and intolerance.  Or is itching all over an effect of the drug?  I plan to take my night dose and see what happens.  If I am allergic, any suggestions on what to do next.  The md will probably switch me over to valium without the taper which could be really painful.. I am really worried.  Thanks. Shiloh

I started getting hives when I initially tapered from Clonazepam.  Hives or any kind of skin rash can appear when tapering or going through w/d.  They didn't last long for me, however, and I found the common link...perfume.  I've NEVER had an issue w/ perfume my entire life, but as soon as I began to taper, I noticed whenever I sprayed a little body spray before going out somewhere, hives would appear! 

All the best...sorry to hear you are experiencing this...I know it's very annoying.

Take care,

Schatje

[97...]

I got hives tapering the klonopin.

I also itched all over, broke out in hives and rashes.

It was bad on my arms.

[88...]

Shiloh,

How did things go when you took your nightime dose?  Just another thought.  You could be allergic to the fillers and or binders in the klonopin.

I hope it's a symptom of w/d and it goes away. 

I am allergic to the cornstarch they put in all the benzo's.  I had to have mine compounded.  The itching stopped.  I hope you find the answer.

Mamie

I also got hives BAD while tapering back in January.  I didnt know at the time it was from tapering. I thought at the time it wa some horrible alleric reaction to something.  I had them on my face, chest, arms. for about 3 or 4 days.  Itched like CRAZY.  Antihistamines had NO effect.

Yes, Itching is also caused by withdrawl.  I have had periods when this happens and it drives me nuts.  It happens mostly at night though and I wake up looking like I was in a cat fight.  Since this comes and goes away, it is withdrawl in my case.  I tried creams and antihistimines and nothing worked.  So, I itched. 

[5e...]

I got hives tapering the klonopin.

I also itched all over, broke out in hives and rashes.

It was bad on my arms.

Ditto...also on my arms.

I hope you get some relief soon

Wow I HAD no idea what I went through was caused by WD...its the only time I had hives in my life   I wonder what causes the hives while In WD, that is insane!

[63...]

Did anyone get a rash around their eyes... I have small red bumps - rash like around my right eye mainly...

I at first chalked it up to getting some essential near my eye.. it came and went but now its been back for like 2 weeks. I'm not sure if Im eating something that's doing it... Could Vitamic C do it... Thats the only new thing.

I did got out gluten well over a month ago.. Its weird. they dont really get a head like a pimple but look like tiny pimples. Seems to be more annoying or flared from water e.g. sweat...

heat rash, allergy... just weird as I've never had anything like this ever in my life and now I have it in withdrawal... Coincidence maybe but I'd like to get rid of it... its annoying on top of the bags and dark circles and pasty death like skin i've already been lucky enough to have acquired in withdrawal!!!!!!!! Ugh. Hate drugs!

Sorry for hi-jacking - I have a close friend on another forum who had terrible hives from K withdrawal. A few people actually had these... they made no other changes in their life so they figured it was the K..... they did go away with time.. Yours will too I bet..

I wonder if we do become allergic to things we were not allergic to before..

Ho hum

Melo

xoxo

I got a painful rash on the palms of both hands the day after I started tapering. It didn't go away until after I was finished tapering (which was only a month). I also got huge, nasty hives all over my torso and nothing in my life was any different except decreasing the benzo. I finally figured it was just a withdrawal symptom. It was a little worrisome at first though! Wishing you the best.

Libby

The longer I was on benzos, the more drugs/perfumes/foods/chemicals I became 'allergic' to.  Since I have been off over 5 months, a lot of theses 'allergies' are magically disappearing.  Perhaps this is the result of benzos suppressing the immune system and heightening the CNS?  Who knows!

I also got hives BAD while tapering back in January.  I didnt know at the time it was from tapering. I thought at the time it wa some horrible alleric reaction to something.  I had them on my face, chest, arms. for about 3 or 4 days.  Itched like CRAZY.  Antihistamines had NO effect.

Exact same experience that I had.  Weird huh?  I'd never had hives before in my life.

I am so glad to see this post.  I have just started getting hives the past three days.  I am 5 days benzo free and this has been freaking me out.  They start popping out at night and itch like crazy.  I can actually see them spreading.  My throat also itches and my nose gets congested like a full blown allergy attack, but like someone else said, antihistimines or creams don't do anything to help.  I hope this passes quickly.  It's one of many things that is making it impossible for me to sleep.

Tamzo