Tell me if this sounds like your morning anxiety

[dr...]

I wake up, sometimes don't even open my eyes trying to go back to sleep. I don't notice anything right away, maybe a couple minutes, but all of the sudden I FEEL w/d seeping back into me, its like it spotted me awake and came to poke me awake. I then have all of these negative and fast moving feelings along with the physical ones. I am super discouraged about the way I still feel in the morning. I was feeling really well last night when I went to bed but every morning this seems to repeat itself.

Yup, It happened to me for about three to four weeks. I would feel ok when I went to bed (Thank goodness) but as soon as I woke up my heart would be beating hard and I had all kinds of not so pleasant thoughts and feelings that would slowly dissipate through out the course of the day. Also, a loss of appetite until later in the day. It seems to have gone away about three weeks ago and of course I hope it stays that way.

Drakelore911,

You described that am feeling upon waking with amazing accuracy.  There is a theory floating around that it is related to cortisol production.  In the circadian rhythm, the body produces more cortisol in the morning and less in the evening- hence the feeling of anxiety coming upon us as we wake and having lower sx's during evening hours.

I have experienced a lot of morning anxiety these past 2 months or so.  And you describe it very well.  I have been a "lucky sleeper" during withdrawal.  I normally get 6-7 hours of solid sleep most nights which is great compared to a lot of others.  But as soon as my body wakes up, I'm hit w/ instant w/d and anxiety.  It's as though I'm in someone's body that ISN'T mine.  Any s/x that I normally get (a lot of stomach cramping/pains, leg ache) seem to come on immediately out of nowhere!  I've told my husband several times "I can't believe that I am in this deep sleep w/ NO issues whatsoever, and then the instant I wake up, BAM".  Morning anxiety seems to be very common amongst us, so at least we can take comfort in knowing we are not alone. 

I've tried to change my wake up routine.  I normally would be groggy and borderline depressed as soon as I felt the s/x come on in the morning...but now I make of point of making my "wake up time" my "me time".  I meditate (as well as I can right now) and come as close to accepting my s/x as I possibly can during w/d. :)  It's helped a lot and I feel like I confront my fears this way.  So when I get OUT of bed I feel like I can "sort of" take on the world for another day. :)

It's certainly not a nice way to wake up...but it seems to pass eventually for others, so I know it will for us as well.

Take care,

Schatje

I too was a lucky sleeper during my withdrawals (getting 6 to 8 hours).  I had about 3 weeks of horrible morning anxiety that would hit me as soon as I opened my eyes.  The physical symptoms coupled with the scary, dreadful thoughts made mornings feel absolutely unbearable.  It feels so vivid and unrelenting, but it does indeed pass.  My mornings started getting better and so to will yours.

Those links that were provided to you are good resources.  The best thing you can do is get out of bed, don't lay there and fight it.. no matter how crappy you feel.

Thanks guys. Yea I am blessed with the ability to sleep. I am getting 6 hours sometimes 7, close to par. You guys described it well too. It is such a horrible feeling. I always do better in the evening.

Hi

Mornings are always the hardest part of a day. Even when I was on benzo's and before. What helping me is that I get up as soon as I wake up which is hard sometimes but with practise you can do it.

Marry

Same with me as well.  I go to bed every night feeling 100%, almost like it may be over....  Then morning comes.  It will get better, it already has for me.  I just am greedy and want to feel like I do before I go to bed all the time!

For the most people with anxiety disorder evenings are the best part of the day. Your brain knows it is time for relax and sleep. In the morning you have to wake up. Adrenalin do it's best  :pokey:.

Marry