Brain Zaps?

What exactly are "brain zaps"? I think I may be experiencing these. It's so crazy. I just feel jittery and hyped up and then one minute I feel like my heart is beating fast for a few seconds or something and feel like my brain is actually shaking inside my head. It's the strangest feeling. I keep wanting to take another X but keep fighting it. I've been getting them more and more. At first this withdrawal was horrible, then I thought it was getting a little easier, now this? It's crazy. I feel crazy. The horrible headaches have went away for the most part. This is my first night cutting my Klonopin in half (so I'm taking 1mg instead of 2mg). I just don't know if I can really do this. I don't like this feeling at all!!!

It sounds like what you're describing about your brain is indeed brain zaps. It reminded me of an electric feeling when it happened.

This may continue off and on for awhile, so try not to be discouraged by this. It will disappear in time.

If you cut your dose from 2 mgs to 1 mg this may also be causing things to be more extreme. It's recommended to do a 10% reduction when tapering. You have cut by 50%.

You may need to up your dose and try to stabilize. If it's possible, you should also consult your Doctor about this.

Mike

That sounds pretty much like me. I was on 4 mg of k a day and when I tapered I dropped a full mg every two weeks and the withdrawal symptoms were very strong and intense. The brain zaps are extremely scary almost felt as if I had stuck my finger in a light socket. Fortunately this was one symptom that went away fairly quickly for me. How quickly you taper is a personal choice based on how much you think you can take. Matrix is right you dropped a large amount at once and if you feel that it is to much to bear then slow down down the taper schedule. Take care and keep up the good work!

Hi T ~ I just want u 2 know that i completely relate to what you are going thru.  i get real bad waves - times of intense sympthoms.  i feel like electricity is going thru my whole body right now. i know what you mean about feeling it is unbearable and that i can't go on.  it sounds like you are in the worst part of it.  it really helped me when buds kept telling me it was the pills and we are healing.  i am sending thoughts of kindness and healing your way.  i am so sorry for what we are going thru but we are doing it.  everyday is a huge accomplishment.  pm me anytime

...feel like my brain is actually shaking inside my head. It's the strangest feeling...

During my first month after Detox I felt like my brain was loose and wobbling inside of my head.  I found this symptom was actually listed on a benzo symptom list and it gave me comfort knowing that others had experienced it too.  It went away during the second month.  The list said "Brain motion: feeling of the brain moving inside head."  It was on the website recovery-road.org if you want to check it out.

I see you cut your K in half, I think that is an awfully drastic cut.  I agree with BYBYMatrix, that is probably why you are getting hit hard with sx's.  Have you considered getting help with a taper plan from the moderators in the taper forum?

I had this symptom big time after I stopped taking Ativan too quickly - went from 2 mg to 0 in 3 weeks. I was so confused and terribly frightened. Since this started after stopping the demon drug, I suspected it to be withdrawal. It got worse over the next several weeks and I figured it out and reinstated (no thanks to medical community- they were clueless).  Anyway, it went away as soon as I did that - so it is from the benzo and probably cutting too fast. Hope that helps.

I woke up this morning with brain zaps from hell. I was literally being jolted awake over and over. I went a little to fast on my cuts as well, but the important thing is to remember these symptoms cannot hurt you. If you are severly dejected, then get back on you 2mg, and taper properly.

From my experience that is not exactly what my brain zaps were like. I got them coming off K, but I would have them really bad when coming off ADs in the past. For me, it's a sign of coming off too fast.

They  feel like a very brief (I'm talking 1 second) flash of electricity that shoots through your brain, and sometimes your chest too. The closest sensation I can relate it to is when you sometimes get a sudden shot of adrenaline, perhaps when you barely miss hitting another car or something. Except the "adrenaline shot" is in your brain.

Hi Teardrop sorry you are having a tough time. This will pass I had Brain Zaps :o when I C/T off Lexapro every time I moved my head even slightly side to side up or down it did not matter rapid fire zaps. I am also cutting klonopin and like you I am at 1mg/day down from 4mg/day and 12yrs on this crappy stuff my cut rate has been .25mg/Mo ears ring all the time and rough time staying asleep. You will get through this stay the course. For me personally the zaps were easier to deal with than this benzo w/d I pray this will give you some encouragement to hang tough you are not alone. I am a rookie at this having just joined BB myself so I hope you find this reply helpful.

Thanks everyone! That's a huge relief that I'm not "crazy". Yes, still experiencing them occasionally. I may take a little more, the feelings are horrible.