Saying hello

[Ho...]

I've been off for almost 14 months now. I was originally on Ambien for almost a year...11 months, I stopped that cold turkey twice, each time with no problems. I was then on roughly .5 klonopin for 8 months, and tapered over the course of 5 months. It's always been hard for me to define what "healed" means, as I believe this definition differs among all of us. But to say the least, I can say with 100% certainty that I am no longer impaired by this process. I have no symptoms that interfere with my life, and lately, I have begin to get waves of feeling like "my old self". However, my body still understands that something is off. For one, my memories from the roughly two years I was addicted to tranquilizers are fuzzy and far apart. I started on Ambien when I was 16, and ended my last dose of benzos when I was 18. I feel that in terms of brain development, this was not good for me. There may be subtle changes in the way my brain thinks, processes things...but I will never be able to know for sure. I do know that although I can tolerate a glass of wine, there is no way my CNS can take getting drunk again..at least for now. When I do so, everything is different when I compare to how it felt drinking alcohol before benzos. To me, that says something has changed. And I still hope that it will change back. I want to give those of you still tapering and recently finished with your tapers the hope that so many others give in this section. Things have really done a 180 in terms of how I felt since getting off benzos. The stories are true, you do get better.

Also, I wanted to ask everybody who responds what they think about a situation that I'm sure many of us have been in. When you find out that somebody you know has been prescribed benzos to take everyday with the intent of doing so long term, should you say something to them? I have met people, especially in college, on daily doses of klonopin just as I was. I can see the symptoms in them...nobody else can, but I can tell that somethings off. But then I often wonder if its not my place to bring a temporary, but necessary, trauma to their life (getting off the drugs). What do you guys think?

[47...]

Congrats  :yippee:

Also, I wanted to ask everybody who responds what they think about a situation that I'm sure many of us have been in. When you find out that somebody you know has been prescribed benzos to take everyday with the intent of doing so long term, should you say something to them?

I have a few friends on a Benzo, and one has increased the dosage from time to time. I have tried to tell them, and they will not listen. They have tolerance, but if they are not willing to listen, they will have to find out the hard way :( When the Klonopin was working for me, others tried telling me and I would not listen. I had to find out the hard way. Now, if the person has a script and have not taken it, then I would inform them as much as I could in order to prevent them from taking it.

Only thing we can do is try.

Congrats HotelYorba, glad to hear you are feeling much better!  As for warning people, I warn as many people as I can and tell them what happened to me. Whether they listen or not (some have and some have not) is totally up to them.

I sound the alarm whenever I can.

In fact, one of my peers is taking ambien and is constantly increasing her doasge. I pulled her aside a few days ago (after hearing her tell a horrible brain fart story) and I told her about my journey. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head. I told her to research the drug (visit this website and others), gather some data and make an informed decision. Now, she may or may not get off the drug...that is not my issue. I just needed to make sure she was warned. I have said this many times during my nightmare...I would not wish this on my worse enemy!

Take care,

Lida 

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats!!!

I too always "sound the alarm" when I can.  I wait for the timing to be just right and I bring it up if I think it's needed.  I just have to remember that a lot of people don't want to listen.  And that's okay...I just don't get upset over it.  I put the word out if possible and act as a support if needed. 

ALL the best to you...so great to hear about all the improvements.

Schatje

• 5 weeks later...

I've been off for almost 14 months now. I was originally on Ambien for almost a year...11 months, I stopped that cold turkey twice, each time with no problems. I was then on roughly .5 klonopin for 8 months, and tapered over the course of 5 months. It's always been hard for me to define what "healed" means, as I believe this definition differs among all of us. But to say the least, I can say with 100% certainty that I am no longer impaired by this process. I have no symptoms that interfere with my life, and lately, I have begin to get waves of feeling like "my old self". However, my body still understands that something is off. For one, my memories from the roughly two years I was addicted to tranquilizers are fuzzy and far apart. I started on Ambien when I was 16, and ended my last dose of benzos when I was 18. I feel that in terms of brain development, this was not good for me. There may be subtle changes in the way my brain thinks, processes things...but I will never be able to know for sure. I do know that although I can tolerate a glass of wine, there is no way my CNS can take getting drunk again..at least for now. When I do so, everything is different when I compare to how it felt drinking alcohol before benzos. To me, that says something has changed. And I still hope that it will change back. I want to give those of you still tapering and recently finished with your tapers the hope that so many others give in this section. Things have really done a 180 in terms of how I felt since getting off benzos. The stories are true, you do get better.

Also, I wanted to ask everybody who responds what they think about a situation that I'm sure many of us have been in. When you find out that somebody you know has been prescribed benzos to take everyday with the intent of doing so long term, should you say something to them? I have met people, especially in college, on daily doses of klonopin just as I was. I can see the symptoms in them...nobody else can, but I can tell that somethings off. But then I often wonder if its not my place to bring a temporary, but necessary, trauma to their life (getting off the drugs). What do you guys think?

Congrat on your new life.  I am so happy that you are feeling so much better... Wishing you all the best

Luv,

Mishi

• 1 month later...