PLEASE share you experience with taking Antibiotics!!!!

[Mb...]

Hey everyone,

I went to the doctor today and am waiting on the results from a test. We are thinking that I may have a Urinary Tract Infection or something else similar - which will be treated with antibiotics.

I KNOW NOT TO TAKE QUINLONES!

I am a worries - like most all on here and am hoping to hear about people's experience with taking antibiotics while in w/d. I am off and have been off benzos for sometime, but am FRIGHTENED of any medicine that would cause a flare.

It would mean a alot to me to hear from someone who has taken an A/B while still sick - with no reprocussions.

If the a/b doesn't affect GABA than there shouldn't be an issue - right?

thanks!

M

I took Amoxicillin without a problem while in withdrawal. You may want to explain to your doctor your concern too. See what he prescribes and do a search here in the search box for input on other antibiotics.

Be well

Star

I took Quinlones this past week for a UTI.  Trust me you don't want to go down that road.  I took Bactrim and amoxicillan in the past--no problems.

Thanks Hockeygal -

Can you please elaborate on your experience w the different antibiotics? W the bactrim did you feel anything at all? How did the quinlone make you feel? I really appreciate your help and will NOT go anywhere near a quinlone.

Thanks Hockeygal -

Can you please elaborate on your experience w the different antibiotics? W the bactrim did you feel anything at all? How did the quinlone make you feel? I really appreciate your help and will NOT go anywhere near a quinlone.

I never really had anything significant with the first two but Norfloxacin was something else.  I got really bad anxiety, pounding heart rate, insomnia, weak muscles with that drug.  Stay away from it at all costs.

When you took the other antibiotics (not quinlones) would you of considered yourself to still be sick?

thanks again,

M

When you took the other antibiotics (not quinlones) would you of considered yourself to still be sick?

thanks again,

M

No not really.  I know that Norfloxacin and the other floxcins work faster but I'd rather take the ones that you have to take for longer.  Sometimes new is not always best.

thanks for the replies everyone!

so you guys were still somewhat sick when you had to take the amoxacillin? I am hoping I wont need medicine for it, but if i do - amoxicillin sounds to be the most dependable.

no issues with amoxicillin on here?

M

I was almost healed by month 10 had a severe sinus infection in Feb..

Was put on 1600 mil. of amoxil a day for 10 days and went into  what felt like c/t w/d

for 1 month andreved my sxs for 3 months total.. Im now at 14 months and getting back to that full healing.

So for me it did effect me and kinda was bummed but I knew I would heal it was just a matter or time for this to end!

~Jenny

I have had two courses of cephalexin (a cephalosporin type antibiotic not a penicillin) while at a steady low benzo dosage (2.5 mg/day Valium), and did not notice any negative effects in any way.  I am not sure if this drug is helpful in your condition, but can say for me personally it didn't cause any withdrawal-like effects.

Since beginning Klonopin & Zoloft in early May, and tapering Klonopin (2.5 twice per day-now)...I have had 3 bladder infections :'(...I am allergic to so many medications--WISH I had been allergic to benzos & antidepressants(!!)...first, I was put on Ceftin (a cephalosporin)..no probs. benzo-wise---but it did not work--next Augmentin...it was too harsh--500 mg. 2 x's per day---Then Omnicef---had excessive anxiety, stomach ache---back to Augmentin--cut them in half...no probs. --I do take a probiotic to avoid yeast infection from antibiotics--& eat Brown Cow yogurt...some here say yogurt &/or probiotics cause a ramp in symptoms though. Best of luck getting healed! Getting ill & in need of any type of medication during tapering/withdrawals is a bummer...you just never know what symptoms might occur. Take care, T2

I took Bactrim during my taper, and it completely screwed up my taper schedule - it was a nightmare. I had to up-dose during my taper, and it was hell on earth. I am convinced that this is what caused me so many problems during and after my w/d. Avoid Bactrim if you can.

I've taken Amox-Clav during very bad points in my wd, during my taper, and while I was on K... and I'm happy to report it did not effect me negatively.

• 4 months later...
In my experience, metronidazole (Flagyl) gave me crushing, unbearable, brutal depression. Yikes. it does list 'Depression' as a possible side effect on the leaflet to be fair, but still...