is there anything I can take for bad anxiety

[St...]

Hi........

I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area......but is there anything I can take for bad anxiety?

My mind is messed up trying to even figure out how to use this forum.

I did manage to post to a couple of people but now my anxiety is thru the roof.

thank you for any advice.

Still Alive

Still Alive, there isn't really any medication you can take that will help with anxiety caused by benzo withdrawal.  The only thing that can help that is more benzos, and that is not a wise route to take.  For those of us who have relied on benzos to control our anxiety... we reach a point where we have to learn not to depend on relief in pill form.

At this point Dr. Ashton recommends that people find good coping methods for dealing with their anxiety.  Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been shown to be just as effective, if not more so, than medication treatment.  There are a lot of good self-help books out there.  I recommend looking into books by Claire Weekes.

Some people say that certain supplements help ease their anxiety, but what works for one person may not for the next.  You can look at the experiences people have had with supplements in the 'Alternative Therapies and Supplements' section of this forum.  I myself take Magnesium Citrate on occasion.  I can't say for sure that it helps, but it doesn't make me any worse.  I know that some anxiety is caused by magnesium deficiences.

It may help to get in some mild exercise, eat healthy, avoid unneeded stress, and practice good anxiety coping techniques.

Still Alive, there isn't really any medication you can take that will help with anxiety caused by benzo withdrawal.  The only thing that can help that is more benzos, and that is not a wise route to take.  For those of us who have relied on benzos to control our anxiety... we reach a point where we have to learn not to depend on relief in pill form.

At this point Dr. Ashton recommends that people find good coping methods for dealing with their anxiety.  Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been shown to be just as effective, if not more so, than medication treatment.  There are a lot of good self-help books out there.  I recommend looking into books by Claire Weekes.

Some people say that certain supplements help ease their anxiety, but what works for one person may not for the next.  You can look at the experiences people have had with supplements in the 'Alternative Therapies and Supplements' section of this forum.  I myself take Magnesium Citrate on occasion.  I can't say for sure that it helps, but it doesn't make me any worse.  I know that some anxiety is caused by magnesium deficiences.

It may help to get in some mild exercise, eat healthy, avoid unneeded stress, and practice good anxiety coping techniques.

Hi Crono,

thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough post to me.  I greatly appreciate it!

I have implemented some of your suggestions but you've mentioned a few things that I haven't been doing and so, I will give those a try.  Thank you also for the book recommendation.  I will order it today because I will do whatever I need to do to manage the anxiety.

Thanks for your warning about not taking any pills.  I don't want to take anymore drugs and I also want to avoid herbs and supplements.  I'll give the magnesium a try.

Stress is something that can really throw our CNS for a loop and I need to avoid stress as much as possible.

Thank you again for being so kind as to respond.  I wish you recovery and a good life.

Still Alive

Hi Still Alive.

I had really bad anxiety most of the time I was withdrawing.  I figured out that I had to learn a variety of self-calming techniques for those times when the anxiety threatened to go out of control.  There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13001.msg180729#msg180729

Hi Beeper,

thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.  I am grateful for receiving your kind message.  I checked out the link and it was pretty awesome.  Thank you for this!  There are many helpful tips that I will use.

Self-calming is the name of the game. 

I wish you complete recovery and a good life ahead!

Still Alive