Understanding Morning Anxiety

[Pa...]

Morning anxiety can be a real beast to leash. I have found that a good walk (or run) is very helpful in burning off some of that adrenalin and anxious feeling; you need to come to a good sweat though (at first, I found that sweating was difficult; the medicines had done something to slow down this natural, essential process but it will get better as you continue)--this will make a difference and makes everything so much more tolerable.

Blessings,

Sir William

• 4 weeks later...

when I am woke up by the phone/alarm the kids, I jump up sometimes in a panic and throws me into a panic attack. I am still tapering off klonopin. I hate this.

:thumbsup:

howdie i teach high school and did not know if i could make it back.  i was still in tough shape - still am actually but i found i can do it one day at a time.  some days are brutal; most mornings are too - but the distraction helps the days go by faster

Thanks Hanna and Pan, well I worked 3 days last week and it nearly killed me. I intend to try it again this week and if I can't do it, I just can't!  When the anxiet is high I find it so difficult to concentrate. If I can't do it, Illl have to go sick and pray income protection insurance will kick in.

Hey Howdie,

Go with your gut when it comes to work. Sounds like some people do well to work while going through this. For me, I find my job way too stressful while tapering, and am fortunate to have disability insurance to cover me for now (it's less money, but it's manageable, and preferable to trying to do the job while recovering). See what works for you - you'll know best after trying work for a while.

One thing that I'm trying to do while being off work is to keep a bit busy - some days I'm not functional, but when I am, I like to have some kind of project around the house or some kind of volunteer activity set up, to get me out of the house and keep me active. Listen to your body and brain - you'll know what's best.

Stiv

My experience is puzzling me. Every morning is an absolute nightmare, but not for the same reasons.

Sometimes, it is anxiety that wakes me up too early in the morning and nothing helps... even going out running... If I'm lucky, it will disappear after 2 or 3 hours... It is really physical more than psychological.

Some other times, I wake up fine and within 15 mn, the anxiety appears... And this one seems more psychological.

I experience an awful nausea and I start to have my hands sweating like running water...

This morning issue prevents me from going one step further in tapering my daily benzo dose...

The alarm has nothing to do with it. On the contrary, when I am in a rush, it helps dealing with the psychological anxieties... but if it is a physical one - then I am doomed, sometimes for the whole day.

Does anyone else experience both?

Are they different causes?

Thanks for your advice...

Morning anxiety seems to come in different forms Ananda.  I still get it and am over 6 months out but it has got better and doesn't last very long, once I get out of bed.

Ananda, can you possibly do a "signature" as it is easier to see dosage and duration of the benzos and ADs you've been on.  Go to Profile in the green box above, then Forum Profile Information and write some brief details.  These will show at the foot of your posts.

J'espère que je l'ai expliqué ce bien!

Angel xx

Thanks Angel!

It is such a long road... Just to think that I may have to deal with these horrible mornings for such a long time... I wonder if I'll be strong enough to carry on tapering.

Just another question...

I think I made a mistake reducing my daily dose by half over night. I am still suffering a lot after 2 or 3 weeks. Should I increase a bit and then slow down by smaller quantity (here most people advice not more than 10% at a time) or should I try to stick to my new dose?

How long should I wait before attempting to reduce further more (now, I can't even think about it!).

And by the way, I added a signature!

Et tout était clair  ;)

I am afraid I can't help you with your taper question.

I think this is the wrong section to ask.  There is a special taper section or the Withdrawal and Recovery section. Suggest you write a new thread there and you should get a lot of help.

Bon chance!!

Angel xx

Update on my morning anxiety:  I went through a patch where it was lessened at about 4 - 5 months off.  However, it is back with a vengeance anad it is dragging me down, reminding me I am not recovered.  That, shortness of breath and general malaise are my current symptoms.  If I didn't have this morning anxiety, I could deal with the rest but it brings me down.

I was such a short-termer and I see others recovering and I wonder if this morning anxiety will ever leave me or if this is part of a new me.  It's been 6 1/2 months now of it!

Guess I just need further reassurance.

Sorry

Angel

Hi angel958, I so feel for you. I am experiencing anxiety and its a pig to deal with.  I am having some success with CBT. Have you tried this?  It might help. It doesn't rid you of it but I find that it helps me to deal with it.  I'm back at work now and I find the distraction helps. The dog has never walked so far either!  I try and do a good, hard, long walk of an evening and this then helps me sleep and it does seem to help a bit in the mornings. My doc says you need to get the adrenaline out of your body by speeding up your heart rate through exercise.  Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

• 2 weeks later...

howdie that is so interesting what your doc said;  i am wondering what kind of impact all this adrenalin has on our bodies.  i wish i knew more about that

one thing i have learned is that i can wake up so darn sick - i mean i called in sick 1/100th of how bad if feel in the mornings.  i wobble to the couch and put my head on the arm of the couch; electricity racing thru me; tummy icky; bowels going crazy; weak... u feel me

and then i can have an ok day!

it's like amazing to me that i can be that bad off and then work my butt of at my job

i also have high BP issues; anyone else?

luv u guys so much

Thanks Howdie for the advice. I have a dog too and he has never missed his twice daily walks except at the beginning of this.

The morning anxiety is still there but not spoiling my day now!

Happy healing.

Love you too Pan - you are one brave little soldier!!

Angel xx

Oh yes. That dreadful morning anxiety or adrenaline surge. Hours of misery. Like Pan, my Bp has been off the charts lately. Am taking enalapril, an ace inhibitor. But have taken Lisinopril too. Both have not bothered me like other Bp meds have.

Sorry to hear that Teacher.  Since my earlier posts on this thread I am happy to say that although I still get the morning anxiety it is to a lesser degree and goes fairly quickly. It doesn't bother me like it did.

hey t2 - don't see u on your blog;

u know what i wonder about - is the impact that all the adrenalin has on our system// - it floods me in the am and i wonder where it all goes or whatever.

i have that amlidopine too angel ; seems like a good med

the high bp scares me.  worry about the kidney damage part of

thanks for the notes luv u

• 4 weeks later...

hey t2 - don't see u on your blog;

u know what i wonder about - is the impact that all the adrenalin has on our system// - it floods me in the am and i wonder where it all goes or whatever.

i have that amlidopine too angel ; seems like a good med

the high bp scares me.  worry about the kidney damage part of

thanks for the notes luv u

Pan I know how you feel.. What kind of med is this...Is it really helping you now.. If it is then it is a relief for you... Kidney damage.. I am sure you will be fine.. Please do not worry so much... After all this is over with you can cleanse your body.  Please hang in there...

xoxo

mishi

The adrenaline surge begins the moment my eyes open during the a.m. no matter what time 1:30 a.m. or 5:00 a.m. It causes my body to stiffen and it's hard to use the bathroom :o It lasts up to 3 hours. Am hoping that it is going to subside as the dosage of Clon. goes down.

• 3 weeks later...
I am two days into my taper, and this morning I woke up with a restless, frustrated, anxious feeling.  I couldn't do anything but wander around the house and brush my hair over and over.  (My psych doc calls this akathisia.)  Is it typical to have these feelings so early in withdrawal?  Or am I just having a restless day?

I am two days into my taper, and this morning I woke up with a restless, frustrated, anxious feeling.  I couldn't do anything but wander around the house and brush my hair over and over.  (My psych doc calls this akathisia.)  Is it typical to have these feelings so early in withdrawal?  Or am I just having a restless day?

I personally didn't have this but I have read that is pretty normal  :(

There is another member here TinaCA who recently wrote a thread on this, she is also tapering.  Perhaps you can look for her thread if you check her name and read the headers, or PM her.

Everything will pass in time but this does sound an awful symptom.

Angel

Hi ANewOne,

Am in the 8th month of tapering. Yes. What you have described is not at all unusual. Be sure you are not cutting too fast! It's a tough process, ANO, but it is doable. Hope you feel better soon! T2