Recent Anxiety Attacks - 5 Weeks Off Lorazepam - Support Needed

[...]

I'm a newbie (just posted my intro a few days ago) and just had a very strong anxiety attack that lasted about 30 minutes or so.  Extreme nervous/anxious feeling in my upper torso and slight burning sensation in my chest and arms, along with some muscle tension in my face and arms.  What made it even more frightening was the derealization feeling that went along with it for the first 5-6 minutes of the attack.  I had something similar to this occur a few days ago that was nowhere near as intense, and I even thought it might be a low blood sugar issue, as I had eaten sparingly that day.  I'm guessing that these attacks are part of withdrawal but just surprised that they have surfaced at the 5-week off mark.  I've had some anxiety and depression during my taper and post-taper but nothing like this today.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Rico

You may suffer anxiety even this far out, it's pretty common. It may take some time for the anxiety to decrease, but it does. Benzo anxiety is the worst! I had it in the AM consistently for a long time but now my mornings are very calm when I wake up. For now maybe try some extra exercises and deep breathing to get past it and you'll be ok.

:mybuddy:

Thanks Star - I actually worked out earlier today and was just preparing some lunch when it hit.  I've never experienced an anxiety attack that intense before, and it is concerning, especially if it were to occur while I am at work, or somewhere away from home (I travel quite a bit in my job).

Hi Rico,

have you heard of the linden method. Great tips on how to manage anxiety.

Look it up, as it helped me manage those sudden feelings of terror.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi NYCLady - my anxiety has been awful as of late; three anxiety attacks in less than a week, including two last night.  My chest gets tight and feels hot, and my arms get tense as well.  I certainly hope this is withdrawal and that it will pass (I'm almost 8 weeks off Lorazepam).  I hope all is well with you!

Rico,

I am almost 3 1/2 months off and I still get anxiety attacks every once in a while.  I was hoping early on that this would go away quickly, and now truly understand how long this might take.  Ashton states this in her study for how long symtpoms typically last during benzo withdrawal...

Anxiety - Gradually diminishing over a year

Depression - May last a few months; responds to antidepressant drugs

Insomnia - Gradually diminishing over 6-12 months

Sensory symptoms: tinnitus, tingling, numbness, deep or burning pain in limbs, feeling of inner trembling or vibration, strange skin sensations - Gradually receding but may last at least a year and occasionally several years

Motor symptoms: muscle pain, weakness, painful cramps, tremor, jerks, spasms, shaking attacks -Gradually receding but may last at least a year and occasionally several years

Poor memory and cognition - Gradually receding but may last at least a year and occasionally several years

Gastrointestinal symptoms - Gradually improving but may last a year and occasionally several years

Hope this info helps...  It did for me...

Natron

Thanks Natron - I've read portions of Dr. Ashton's manual and know that it could take quite a long time to totally heal.  What a bummer!