What to use for major dental surgery?

[Gr...]

I have to get at least one of my wisdom teeth extracted, and this is a fairly involved procedure.  I have massive anxiety over it, even though I haven't even had my first consultation yet.  What should someone do for the anxiety, especially on the day of the operation, if they shouldn't take benzos?

The dental surgery who is going to do the work sounds very professional, and they administer all medications needed, but I'd say one of those drugs is going to be a benzo simply because that's what is generally used in this country whenever a strong fast-acting anxiolytic is indicated.  Some dentists also recommend taking a sleeping drug the night before, if someone can drive you to the office next morning.  I'd like to think I can just "man up" and walk into the place without taking anything but if I wimp out at the last minute then it will cost weeks more in waiting time before I can get another appointment.  I have a real phobia of dentists, not just a little bit of anxiety.

So what would you do if you were me...tell yourself to toughen up, or take something?  I know plenty would try meditation or CBT techniques but I don't have time to learn those before the likely surgery date.

I have very bad teeth and have had many removed. They numb the area so it wont be painful. Yes it can make you anxious. Inform the doctor that you are nervous about it. If possible have someone go along with you. Even if they wait in the waiting room youll know theyre there. 

i think you should add a "profile" to your posts. its somewhere in "preferences". It will help people know a bit more about what youre on now. They can  give more informed advice then.

I was in your shoes about 2 months ago with needed dental surgery, I was freaking out about having to get through it without drugs, but I did. The anticipation was way worse than the actual visit. I did abdominal breathing while I was there and it helped a lot.

One thing you may want to avoid if you need a numbing shot, it anything with Enepinephrine since it may rev up symptoms. I've heard Carbocane works well. they used Citanest Plain on me and I didn't have a problem.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice.  I didn't even know about the epinephrine/adrenaline in dental shots.  I also updated my signature as suggested, although have been prescribed mirtazapine too and will add that if I end up staying on it.

I guess my anxiety has blown this whole thing out of proportion, because the dental surgeons are professionals and they definitely administer anaesthetic.  I have to trust them, and keep in mind they wouldn't let patients suffer unnecessarily.  I have this huge image of fear in my head, as if imagining an Iraqi torture chamber...a typical example of my current anxiety however, which is driving me absolutely mad!!

I'll post back on how I get along, maybe it will help settle someone else's nerves.

Just a note... make sure you tell your dentist your taking Mirtazepine (Remeron), there might be some kind of interaction, I thought I read that about Mirtazepine and dental procedures.