Unrelenting ANXIETY!!!

[kp...]

I'm 8wks out from my 10mg valium CT.  The anxiety in my chest and stomach is basically unrelenting and can last all day without a break!  My sleep is also bad and I wake up about every hour to 1/2 hour with pounding anxiety!  It is extremely hard to manage and its causing me to develop so many fears as the panic is so bad.  I'm sure I'm expecting too much at 2 months, but I really just dont know what to do...I distract by crocheting, laying on the couch and breathing listening to tapes, clean, shower, walking, going to the store, spend time on here in chat and it is still just knocking at my door!!!!!!!!!!!!  Jeesh, it always makes me think it cannot be the WD sx as it's been so long - all during my taper (just not this intense) and now its sooooooooo intense!  eeekkkk - Im miserable! 

Anyone else have this pounding, intense adrenaline anxiety that can last ALL day and wake them up all night off and on?  Thanks so much. 

Pauline

I know exactly what your taking about, I have had all the symptoms you describe and yes chest and stomach tightness all day only when I was sleeping or sitting comfortably, your not alone! Hope u feel better soon!

Read this and had to comment as this was by far the worst thing for me..and it was exactly as you describe. For me it went away about 4 months out, I started to be able to nap, ect. Now the anxiety is still there, but its no longer an ALL day feeling like I want to jump out of my skin. It's now more akin to social anxiety, I'm pretty ok in comfortable situations but being around new people or lots of people, I still get the terrible chest pressure and trouble catching a breathe. But yea just get by one day at a time, for me it suddenly went away over a week  8)

8 weeks is still early days in terms of benzo recovery, especially in light of the fact that you did a c/t.  I tapered over 6 months and still had to deal with unbelievable anxiety, which didn't really start to ease up until about my 4th month benzo free.  Thankfully those dark days are long gone at 11 months benzo free, and now I only have to deal with the odd very mild blip here and there.  And I know in time that those blips will also disappear, just like my depression and sleep issues did.

I had exactly all that you described at exactly the same time frame.  I am here to tell you it is w/d and it DOES go away.  You are at the height of it unfortunately.  It is uncomfortable as hell, feels like a 24-48 hour straight panic attack.  Mine started easing up to where it mostly only happened in the mornings during the 3rd month and drastically decreased at month 4.  I know it seems like an eternity to have to deal with this any longer, really I do.

I use to isolate myself from environmental stimulation the best I could and breath in through my mouth for a count of 4 seconds, then out through my mouth for a count of 8.  Sometimes even that is difficult because it gets hard to breath.  Try to limit your exposure to environment stimuli if you can, like turn the volume either down or off on the TV.  I know it is easier said than done to avoid stmuli, but if you can it really helps.

Also try to pay attention to any muscles tightening that you can untighten, for example, don't make fists or walk stiffly.  Keep whatever muscles you can control as loose as possible.  I got that tip from a nurse who had gone through benzo w/d and it really did help me out.

hey... I am at work and just realized fists were clenched...muscles as tight as could be, and utter terror has been going on all day...can this also be toerance related as I am not tapering yet?

I can't remember if I was making fists in tolerance, but after that nurse pointed this out to me I realized I was doing it unconsciously while I was in w/d...all the time!

hey... I am at work and just realized fists were clenched...muscles as tight as could be, and utter terror has been going on all day...can this also be toerance related as I am not tapering yet?

It sounds like it well could be.  I know I felt this way when I was in tolerance.

Hang in there  :)

Hi there,

Hope you're feeling better by now. Just wanted to let you know that I haven't experienced too much anxiety or depression so far, and I attribute it to my taking of Passion Flower and Holy Basil. Everyone has completely different experiences, but that's just something you could look into if it feels right for you.

Holly

northofhere, i am also making fists under anxiety, Try and keep busy with something (anything) as much as you can,

hoping well for you.

I know just what your feeling. I think everyone going through this does. You are doing great by walking and doing all that your doing. I couldn't get out of bed. I take magnesium and that seems to help a lot. calms your nerves. I also take baths with sea salt and baking soda. takes the toxins out of your body. You use a whole box of baking soda and one pound of salt per bath. two months is not long . Your doing awesome. walking it the best.Good luck..

• 3 weeks later...

I can really relate to this!

For the last few days I've had very very LOOOONG panic attacks (8 hours or so).  Then had a huge window all day yesterday. Now today The Anxiety is not mental, but a weird physical anxiety that has been building all day long. Unrelenting. My stomach and chest muscles are soo dang tinght you could bounce a quarter off my stomach I think.  Feeling really out of it as well.  This sucks