Has Anyone tried any Self help programs?

[...]

I currently have the Linden Method and it has very useful information.  The creator, Charles Linden, had trouble with benzos too and weaned himself off of about 30 or 40 mgs of Valium.  I think his story is really about a battle with benzo induced anxiety more so than natural anxiety. 

He takes the confrontational approach to anxiety so some people may not like it.  A lot of these self-help methods are useful in changing our perspectives on the withdrawal symptoms... however most are geared towards people with natural anxiety disorders, not drug induced ones.

I recently got a book I ordered off of Amazon by Claire Weekes called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves".  I haven't read it yet, but I think it will be effective for my Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 

The Linden Mothod is what made me want to get off benzos. I'm hoping I can now do the rest of the program. Logic tells you what you need to do but the fear factor keeps you from doing it. For that I need you guys for support to be able to face the fear and do what I have to do.

Having suffered with anxiety for years I have read the Linden method and learned a great deal about anxiety.I agree I think most of his problems were from the valium use. Personally I think what happens alot is someone for whatever reason develops anxiety, they dont understand it and the fear leads to greater anxiety which sometimes leads to benzo use to treat it then end up with greater anxiety than when it first started. What I dont like about his methos is that he claims "his" method is the only cure and this method consist of nine pillars you must follow. I have a hard time agreeing with that and I think being educated as to what anxiety really is and the symptoms it can cause is a start for helping it. Im still going through alot of anxiety from xanax w/d and im confident when im recovered from the w/d and now knowing what anxiety is I will be much more able to handle it

I think the method is good I got rid of my agarophobia in litterally the course of a week. I still get Anxiety which I think is from the Benzos, once im off I can finally complete my recovery from my anxiety

I complete an 8 week "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" group last year...it was offered for free through our local hospital.  I think it gave me some great tools to handle what was soon approaching...benzo w/d.  I was still on Clonazepam at the time so I had no clue what i was in for!  But I'm thankful for that group b/c it taught me ways to deal w/ anxiety and how to rationalize certain situations...although as we all know w/ benzo w/d, sometimes we can't rationalize much of anything! 

CBT is great though and I'd recommend it.  It helps though when you have a group w/ good dynamics. 

All the best,

Schatje

• 3 weeks later...
I have tried/bought  book "CBT for dummies-330 pages.",-i know it sounds funny,but it helps,  doctor told me to get online, i bought it on amazon.com, and it helped me cope with anxiety and panic alot, i also bought book for social anxiety.