Going off of Birth Control Pills

[su...]

Hello Buddies,

I am 51 and my Gyn recommended I go off of my birth control pills for 6 weeks to see if I have a period. If I do have a period then I am not menopausal.

My symptoms have really gone up since I stopped taking then 4 weeks ago. I am not sure what to do. I am thinking of going back to the Gyn and see if there is something that can help. Or should I have tapered this? Anyone have any input. I would really appreciate it.

Summer

Hello Buddies,

I just spoke with my pharmacist and she confirmed that my symptoms may be increased for a couple of months. I asked several doctors and now my pharmacist about tapering the Pill and they all said it was not necessary. I heard that that may be helpful yet, I did not taper it and it has been 4 weeks. I took 1/2 of a tablet today to see if it would help. And it did help some symptoms. My pharmacist said that it would be better to just stay off of the Pill since it has been 4 weeks. That taking some now would only delay my body adjusting to the new non-Pill state.

My pharmacist also said to only discontinue one thing at a time. So, she recommended holding a .125mg of Klonopin until the symptoms from going off of the Pill subside. She said that could be a couple of months. She also said it is a good idea to consider another form of birth control at this time. I knew this might effect my taper. I was not sure what else to do. I seems 51 is the age to discontinue the Pill if you haven't already done so earlier.

If anyone has any input I would still be interested.

Summer

Hi Sum,

My story is similar to you. I am 51. I was on BC pills for about a year, and stopped them in Jan.

I haven't had a period since. I wanted to start on bio identical hormone replacement, but needed to make sure I wasn't fertile anymore. All my tests showed I was 100% postmenopausal. I had all the usual symptoms, including severe hotflashes. (But That could have been the BC coldturkey.)

Well, I'm now on the biohrt, and I feel really good. And I'm sleeping like I haven't slept in 10 years!

The pharmacist is right in telling you to hold the klon until your symptoms subside.

6 weeks may not be enough time to get a period. It used to take me 3 cycles to start again after discontinuing the pill. The quickest way to find out if you are postmenopausal is to test your FSH and LH. These are your fertility hormones. If they are above a certain number, it means you are done and don't need BC anymore. You can also test your Estrogen and Progesterone to give you an even more complete picture. These tests aren't cheap though!  :P

Once you've done that, you can either wait it out and see if the symptoms subside, or consider some form of HRT.  

Here is a good site/forum for menopause, hormones, etc.  http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/index.php?showforum=31

I hope this helps!

I'm only 28, but I'm the opposite, BC gives me anxiety.  I want to get off, but I don't want kids.  Double edged sword!

I wish you the best of luck.  I'm assuming you may be already menopausal which could make sense why the removal of the artificial hormones are causing anxiety.  Your body will adjust to the difference soon I think.

Hi Sum,

My story is similar to you. I am 51. I was on BC pills for about a year, and stopped them in Jan.

I haven't had a period since. I wanted to start on bio identical hormone replacement, but needed to make sure I wasn't fertile anymore. All my tests showed I was 100% postmenopausal. I had all the usual symptoms, including severe hotflashes. (But That could have been the BC coldturkey.)

Well, I'm now on the biohrt, and I feel really good. And I'm sleeping like I haven't slept in 10 years!

The pharmacist is right in telling you to hold the klon until your symptoms subside.

6 weeks may not be enough time to get a period. It used to take me 3 cycles to start again after discontinuing the pill. The quickest way to find out if you are postmenopausal is to test your FSH and LH. These are your fertility hormones. If they are above a certain number, it means you are done and don't need BC anymore. You can also test your Estrogen and Progesterone to give you an even more complete picture. These tests aren't cheap though!  :P

Once you've done that, you can either wait it out and see if the symptoms subside, or consider some form of HRT.  

Here is a good site/forum for menopause, hormones, etc.  http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/index.php?showforum=31

I hope this helps!

Hello Eljay,

I so wish I was done with my taper before I had tried to go off of the BC Pill. My doctor said we could wait 6 weeks and see if I have a period and if I do then I could go back on BC Pills as my form of contraceptive. I talked with a pharmacist yesterday and told her my wd sxs had increased and she said that BC Pills have side effects when we go off of them. They include mood swings and sleep disturbances. The sxs have really flared up. I did 2 things though. I cut and I went off of the Pill. I have updosed the K and am now back on BC Pill. I am waiting for the sxs to subside. The pharmacist said it could take a month. That when someone goes off of the Pill it is recommended to use another form of contraceptive for one month.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I really appreciate it. I am interested in using bio-identical hormones too when I transition. I am so happy to hear you are feeling so great. That is wonderful.

Summer

I'm only 28, but I'm the opposite, BC gives me anxiety.  I want to get off, but I don't want kids.  Double edged sword!

I wish you the best of luck.  I'm assuming you may be already menopausal which could make sense why the removal of the artificial hormones are causing anxiety.  Your body will adjust to the difference soon I think.

Hello Tneliga,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me regarding BC Pills. I really appreciate it. I found that my wd sxs have flaired and want to get back to just tapering the K and then look at the Pill once I am benzo free.

Summer