Proton Pump Inhibitor and Depersonalization Symptoms Need Help!

[Gr...]

Well, long story short, I was on xanax short-term, had a gallbladder out in Sept, and was put on PPIs.

I was started to do somewhat okay after I stopped the xanax about a month after still extreme symptoms, then a doctor tells me I have h-pylori, did the 31,000 mg of antibiotics about 20 days into cold turkey and I been in depersonalization since then. It got extreme when I tried to stop PPIs, and then went back on them and I felt like I been brain dead for 3-4 months now and been in withdrawal for 6.

Feels like I am brain dead, watching tv is so bothersome because it sounds so distorted and distant like my brain can't comprehend it. I can't eat any food, rice even bothers my head symptoms, everything does! I'm trying to get off PPIs by tapering, and wonder if my head symptoms could be caused by the stomach being non-functional from PPIs and everything.

I can't live like this I lost 60 pounds, and I was skinny before this. And if rice bothers my symptoms how can I eat anything, I been living on soy milk. Rice, Soy, and Potaotes.

Can PPIs being causing this mess, I heard from other people it can do this, but I been in depersonalization since I took the 31,000mg of antibiotics in December of this past year, and then it got worse to the point I couldn't leave the house when I tried to stop PPIs the first time, and then went back on them only to feel like my brain is dead.

PPIs the cause? Or part of the cause here guys, I need help, and fast, because my body needs to get some food...

Greg

Hi Greg,

Although my husband doesn't have a problem with benzos (he's a beer drinker though) he redeveloped an old ulcer (about 15 years back) that was H Pylori positive.  They had him on Tetracycline and Flagyl, (an anti fungal) for a 3 week course, along with Prolesec.

The medications wiped him out - both physically and mentally.  He said he felt like he was in a brain fog - hard to concentrate, not walk into walls. - and he had to give up beer because the interaction with the Flagyl  would cause Antibuse symptoms - severe stomach pain and vomiting.  If I didn't know better I think he was suffering from dp and dr the way he described things. And this is a person with no benzo issues.

I think we are so sensitive to all medications and supplements after or during withdrawal or are tapering.  Look around the board and you'll see people with reactions from certain foods, even natural sugars like fruit.

Have you consulted your doctor?  You're body has been through major surgery, and allot of maledictions for the past 8 months and "healthy" (non benzo related people) bounce back allot better than the rest of us.

I'm worried about your weight loss and nutrition.  If you can't eat you're bound to feel weak and sick and PPI's come with allot of side effects themselves.

Well, I know this didn't answer your question specifically but I just thought I'd share some information that might be useful.  I truly hope you feel better soon.

Sara

Thanks for the post, ya I been through a lot and still going through a lot and if I see any improvement its barely at all noticable for even a few months.

I been trying to get off PPIs, but the depersonalization started 2-3 days after antibiotics and then when I tried to stop the PPIs 20 days after the antibiotics my head symptoms went so bad, and I struggled to eat anything rice shocks my head even brown rice but I continue to eat it. I try to take carafate sometimes to combat the head symptoms and it helps only 2-5% for 1 hour not much at all.

So trying to get off the PPIs, its a struggle right down even dosing down off them while being in depersonalization so bad.

Kind of don't know where to go from here...but just trying to wait things out.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a problem with them.  I've used Nexium, Protonix and Aciphex.  I loved Aciphex and am on Nexium currently.  Protonix didn't work with me. 

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Please read my post I titled "Information on antidepressants and mood stabilizers you should know."  I was skinny and dropped 20 lbs getting off Prozac, I ended up looking like a Nazi war Camp Prisoner at <90 lbs!  I couldn't eat and had terrible diarrhea for a month, but the it turned around.  My husband was so scared he took me to the ER to have a feeding tube inserted, but they decided against it in the ER and SENT ME HOME!  I am not a DR and you should consult your DR for help if you are dropping weight that fast.

But I have links to information about SSRIs in my last post so please read it.  Good luck!!!