skin stinging/burning - correlation between sun tanning/burning in one's life?

Hi Guys,

I just thought I'd throw this out here for food for thought.  If you know me, one of my chief problems is with skin burning/stinging.  The places it is worst I've noticed are my arms, chest, belly and front of legs.  These are the places I tanned the most (always darker on the front than on the back) and was always more careful with my face (as I got older).  I got sun as a child at the beach but as a teen?  I got dark - and burned first, but was tanned by the next morning and so I tanned all the more (with SPF 4 and then to Hawian Tropic pure oil) In my teens we would go away for a whole month to the beach and I was on the beach by 8:00 AM and had to be dragged off by 6:00 PM - even ate lunch on the beach!  I would get so golden/dark I could pass for another ethnicity.

As I got older, when I married my ex he was blue eyed and fair so the beach was no more or very sporadic for a number of years, but then when I hit 40 it all changed - the beach, the pool club, etc. DARK, DARK, DARK!

This is just food for thought about skin stinging and sensitivity.  Any feed back would be great. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody noticed the same correlation - or maybe was fair and got lots of sun burns.

Thanks,

Sara

...interesting train of thought...sara.

...i don't know the answer.  ...i can hazard some guesses.  ...it would seem that nerve damage would have to have been done to your skin.  ...i don't know if overtanned skin results in nerve damage.

...i have LOTS of burning in my back and butt...but...attribute it to an injury combined with tension from w/d.

...if w/d attacks injured areas...i guess sundamaged skin could count as an injury...but...hmmm..without more knowledge...i really can't see this with any degree of certainty.

...here is one of many articles about what the sun can do to our skin and maybe you can read it and see if you can figure out a correlation between use of benzos and other meds and skin damage.

http://www.gosunsmart.org/yourskin/yourskin_effects.shtml

...hope this helps a bit.

-sam-

...interesting train of thought...sara.

...i don't know the answer.  ...i can hazard some guesses.  ...it would seem that nerve damage would have to have been done to your skin.   ...i don't know if overtanned skin results in nerve damage.

...i have LOTS of burning in my back and butt...but...attribute it to an injury combined with tension from w/d.

...if w/d attacks injured areas...i guess sundamaged skin could count as an injury...but...hmmm..without more knowledge...i really can't see this with any degree of certainty.

...here is one of many articles about what the sun can do to our skin and maybe you can read it and see if you can figure out a correlation between use of benzos and other meds and skin damage.

http://www.gosunsmart.org/yourskin/yourskin_effects.shtml

...hope this helps a bit.

-sam-

Thanks Sam,

I'm about to look up the article you found right now  - thanks for taking the time to find it.

It seems to me that benzo use/tolerance/wd hits people where they've always hurt (before benzos like in your case with you back injury) to stomach issues - like my acid reflux with a burning stomach - diagnosed as chronic gastritis in my 20's (but then I was having panic attacks and anxiety since a kid and only got worse in my teens and 20's) but again, sporadic benzo use maybe once a week or two weeks, a 1 mg. Xanax for sleep. - didn't get addicted until my 40's.

It seems to make sense, altough there's no documentation for it and of course when withdrawal hits, few people have totally smooth sailing and other suffer through the whole slow taper.  And of course cold turkeys - I've been through  about 3.

Anyway, this may be a good topic for other people to share their experiences - if nothing else maybe mutual help for members may come out of it and who knows, we all may figure something out!

Thanks again,

Sara