watched a movie and anxiety went crazy

[...]

It's amazing how just a year ago I could read, watch, listen to what ever and not have really any physical reaction.  Now as I was just watching a movie my anxiety went through the roof. My heart was racing like crazy, started to feel light headed as I would pass out.

I think now I am more morally conscious to the things I watch now.  The movie did have some weird plot, which maybe my brain just can't comprehend anymore, but this anxiety thing just amazes me of now selective I have to be now about the things I do.

I believe now that this is just some illness I may have to deal with forever  :P

[d7...]

Our CNS is fragile, and yes things of a type of nature can amp us up.

I stay away from certain things on TV.

I was watching the news a few months back  :o

S#

Oh boy ... I remember that phase where I couldn't watch anything as I was hypersensitive.  Don't worry ... it is not permanent ... this one passes too.  It sure seems permanent though right?  I swear that this one went away and I am not sure that that is a good thing.

Thank you :)

Feed back like that gives me tons of hope, and makes me feeling 100 times better about this situation!!

Kd35, don't watch any news or violent, stressful movies/TV shows. Stick with light-hearted comedies, if anything. Those will be hard enough to concentrate on right now, but won't send your anxiety through the roof.

I know, I go through the same thing - I won't watch horror movies anymore and The Exorcist used to be my all time favorite - I've watched it at least 10 times!

The problem is I like dramas - there are only a handful of comedies I like but I love reruns of Sandford and Son, All in the Family, Everybody loves Raymond and the Nanny.  Oh and I love Hot in Cleveland - hilarious!

Two Dramas that I absolutely loved are The Fighter, won two academy awards and a triumphant ending, but that might be tough for you but I think you'd enjoy The Kings Speech - very uplifting and wonderful acting and it also won best actor and best movie and best director I think.

This will pass - I can sneak in Se7en just because I love Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt - BUT DO NOT WATCH!!!

Do you have a DVR and just tape the stuff you might like during the day/night and save them so you'll have a stash?

Best of Luck,

Sara

It's horrible isn't it.

I used to read as a way to calm myself and relax, but when I was first off Ativan, I couldn't read anything. Then after a few weeks I was able to read kids fiction like 'Ann of Green Gables' ugh!

At first I could only watch movies I already knew, like light romantic comedies or old black and whites. I watched the whole Avitar/Airbender series again. Nothing heavy at all. I couldn't watch it by myself either.

Really I just spent hours playing solitaire or doing puzzles on the computer. Surfing for answers and asking for answers here.

But it did pass. After about 6 weeks I was able to read more and watch more til at some point it didn't matter anymore.

Today I went and saw a movie at the theater with my family and it was fine. I was so relieved!

You'll get through this.

-Tanya

Comedy is the only thing I will play on the TV... although I did watch the ending of Rocky 4 last night  :laugh:

I used to watch the news every day as well as listen to it in the car and read it in the newspaper.  It is not that I am not interested anymore but I just can't handle the news at this moment.  Gotta make the atmosphere around my life as positive as I can.  Look forward to being a newshound again in the future.. as well as watching a good horror movie or two.

[3d...]

It's funny how things on TV affect us. Over the weekend my wife and I rented two movies. The first one we watched, "The King's Speech," was relaxed and enjoyable and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I see why it won the Oscar for Best Picture. The next one, "127 Hours," with James Franco, was about a freewheelin' hiker who falls into a slot canyon in Utah and get his right arm trapped between a boulder that broke loose and fell and the wall of the canyon. He cannot get his arm free and ultimately he uses a dull multi-purpose tool to cut off his right arm below his elbow. The story is based on a real incident I remember reading about about 6-7 years ago. The whole thing once he gets trapped is horrible, and him cutting his arm off really just pushed me over the edge. My anxiety went through the roof!

I watched the news last night about Osama bin Laden. While I was glad the military finally got him, I didn't enjoy watching the news as people cheered and anchors went from guest to guest to guest. It was good news, but with a lot of backdrop that led me to just go in the bedroom and go to bed.

We have satellite TV with a digital video recorder, so my wife has it set to record all episodes of Law and Order: SVU and House. I can't bare to deal with the drama of either show, so when she plays one of them I just get up and do something like go out in the yard and trim a tree, or something. I've learned to watch "soft" or "happy" stuff on TV, things I don't have to think about too much, because they don't seem to boost my anxiety. I agree with everyone else above...be kind to your mind!

Hang in there. I'm sure in time I'll be able to deal with Law and Order: SVU, but right now, no thanks!

This is still me on Day 27:  :o

I can only watch sit coms at the moment and none with screaming and frantic behavior like Frasier.  I can lip sync to Two and a Half Men (even though when I look at Charlie Sheen and his laundry list of drugs it ticks me off that he seems to have gotten a pass on the suffering we have all been treated to) and some of the tamer older shows that are non violent.  My husband likes House, Fringe and Bones and I find it hard to watch any of those at the moment.  Even American Idol revs up my symptoms...what the hell is that all about?

Donna

The news is the only program I watch regularly, and even then, if it's not what I want to hear, I have to leave the room. 

Having said that,  this new show, The Voice, has become #2 regular program, although it's only 2 episodes so far.  I don't know how long I can stay with it for another 11.

Kat

Couple of weeks after my cold turkey, i tried watching Inception because I had seen it before and loved it..boy was that the biggest mind (explative) ever lol...then few weeks ago I watched Black swan and yea that didn't do too well for me either

I still haven't watched Black Swan. It will be nice to have so many to watch when I get to that point, and they will be in the cheap rental section by then too ; )

-Tanya

Used to eat the hottest food I could find just to taste something.  About six months after quitting my pack-a-day habit, I was just absolutely raving over how wonderful this rice was.  My date was looking at me kind of weird...I guess it wasn't all that good?  Then it hit me that I could finally taste something that wasn't blazing hot.

I don't get anxious too much from movies, other than when I tried watching District 9 during about day 4 of a c/t...but I do get really teary and emotional.  Seriously, there has never been so much DUST in the air as since I've been off klonopin!  This bothered me a lot at first, it still kinda does sometimes when I'm all teary-eyed over something that's not really that big a deal, but I like it better than when I felt _nothing_ for weeks at a time.  I figure it's just going to take a long time for my emotions to recalibrate but that's OK.

It was only about a couple months ago I could actually watch TV, the only TV I could handle was old sitcoms from the 70's and 80's. TV would either scare the beejeebees outta me or I was way too emotional to watch shows. I would even tear up about some commercials. I'm over it now, but what a strange ride to not be able to control your emotions like that.  :o

15 weeks off and I'm still not watching TV.  Documetary about butterflies was OK, as was a documentary on Australia.  That's about it.

Wellness,

Have you tried watching something you've already seen. I found that if there were no surprises, I could take it better.

-Tanya

Hi all,

Early in my taper and through earlier recovery I went to the Library all of the time and rented TV shows on DVD.

Fantastic. Commercials on TV would drive me insane!

On DVD no commercials!

It does get better.

-Dan

Hi I can't watch any T.V or read. I was an avid reader used to love Newspaers and read them from front to back.....

It gets very hard as I am still tapering and in bed most of the time....Even loud noises make me jump :o. I do try to watch t.V sometimes but give up.......But I get thoughts of Yes these people done it!!!!!! so Can I !!!!!.

My last cut is hitting me quite bad at times....I have to do 2nd cut in 1 weeks time. I have to spend most of time on my own as husband is at sea.........

It's funny how things on TV affect us. Over the weekend my wife and I rented two movies. The first one we watched, "The King's Speech," was relaxed and enjoyable and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I see why it won the Oscar for Best Picture. The next one, "127 Hours," with James Franco, was about a freewheelin' hiker who falls into a slot canyon in Utah and get his right arm trapped between a boulder that broke loose and fell and the wall of the canyon. He cannot get his arm free and ultimately he uses a dull multi-purpose tool to cut off his right arm below his elbow. The story is based on a real incident I remember reading about about 6-7 years ago. The whole thing once he gets trapped is horrible, and him cutting his arm off really just pushed me over the edge. My anxiety went through the roof!

I watched the news last night about Osama bin Laden. While I was glad the military finally got him, I didn't enjoy watching the news as people cheered and anchors went from guest to guest to guest. It was good news, but with a lot of backdrop that led me to just go in the bedroom and go to bed.

We have satellite TV with a digital video recorder, so my wife has it set to record all episodes of Law and Order: SVU and House. I can't bare to deal with the drama of either show, so when she plays one of them I just get up and do something like go out in the yard and trim a tree, or something. I've learned to watch "soft" or "happy" stuff on TV, things I don't have to think about too much, because they don't seem to boost my anxiety. I agree with everyone else above...be kind to your mind!

Hang in there. I'm sure in time I'll be able to deal with Law and Order: SVU, but right now, no thanks!

This is still me on Day 27:  :o

I can't watch T.V or read anything hav'nt been able for along time..sometimes I try but I can't concentrate only have regular T.V in my bedroom only have Sky or Satellite downstairs and I can't sit in a chair for long as I suffer with Involuntary spsasms......I hav'nt finished my taper YET but get encouragement by your posts... :thumbsup:I have just made a Dry Cut 2 weeks ago of 0.5mgs and shortly to do another one of .0.5mgs in 1 weeks time....I will then be on 15 and half mgs Diazepam have to do this very slooowwwly as C.N.S is very delicate....I plan to be on 14 mgs by the middle of July.....

[4a...]
All I could watch for months was late nt TV....thank goodness for return of my red headed talk show host  ;) I still watch only that sometimes and I laughed last Monday for the first time in weeks  :)

[3d...]

Clementine: I know what you mean. I'm a fan of David Letterman but I can't stay up that late, so I record it on the digital video recorder that comes with our satellite TV and watch it the next day. It's one time of the day when I know I'll get a few laughs.

I used to love X-Files and I've got the DVR set to record any episodes that air, but I've tried to watch it and it's just too much at times. I really have to just be content with mindless sit-coms and light comedy movies. Things with tension just set my nerves off!

This is still me on Day 38:  :o