Does anyone know much about how long Valium pills keep their strength?

[42...]

[42...]

I'm on Day 23 of a CT from 30-40 mg. of Valium. I was taking a generic from India, named Zepose. I'm beginning to think that the diazepam I was taking might not have been as strong as it was supposed to be. The guy I buy them from was changing from selling 5 mg Zepose brand generics to just 10 mg. Roche India brand Valium about one year ago. He made me a deal of 1,000 pills of the Zepose for $300. I have since ordered some Roche 10's from him and taking one-half of one of those had a much stronger impact that one of the generic 5 mg. Zepose.

So, I'm thinking that being a generic from India, and not knowing how well-regulated their pharmaceuticals are there, and since they had a "use by" date of 2010 and are at least 2-3 years old, then what I've been taking might not have been actually 5 mgs. strong. So, instead of coming off 30-40 mgs. I think it's more like the equivalent of 15-20 mgs., which I know is still a large dose to CT from. When I couldn't sleep, two of the 5 mg. Zepose didn't do anything, but one of the 10 mg. Roche Valiums knocked me out.

Does anyone know how long diazepam keeps its strength? Do pills lose their "power" in 2-3 years? Anyone with knowledge about meds who can help with some info would be appreciated.

Jac in Tucson

This is me on Day 23:  :o

I'd ask a pharmacist, Jac.  I'm sure it at least partially depends on how it's stored but there may be other factors I'm not aware of.  I wouldn't trust any unregulated drug manufacturers but that's just me.

For dry pills in the USA, if stored properly (room temperature, no moisture), they'll last a very long time. Much longer than their expiration date. But those expiration dates are generally 1 year from manufacture to be on the safe side.

But when tapering every little difference matters. Plus I have no idea of some Indian manufacturer.

[ab...]
I wouldn't trust any unregulated drug manufacturers but that's just me.

I agree with Beeper.

You could ask a pharmacist, and you will find different answers...  :idiot:

If you ask me, the med still has its use, BUT it loses potency over time. Therefore, making it useless after a year or so.

S#

[ab...]
I googled "Zepose" and it did come up as a legitimate manufacturer of generic meds in India, so I'm not taking anything made in some back-alley pill factory.

I googled it, too.

If you put in "zepose, wiki" Diazepam will indeed come up.. along with other info. about it.

This is still me on Day 24

Hang in there!

S#