Muscle Spasms and Cramping AFTER OFF Medication

[Sm...]

Hello Family :)

I have been off the Benzo's for 6 months and...

I am having a hard time lately with muscle spasms.

My back, shoulders and neck get into such a spasm that I can't see straight =//

They pull so hard in my neck that I end up wheezing and I can feel my ears pulling =((

I just had blood work done to check my levels of minerals and ALL are fine and at levels that are medium. Normally I had levels that where below normal although I had to take supplements for everything.

I don't understand why I am feeling this now... I didn't have these symptoms OR I didn't notice them 2 months ago.

Please HELP... :)

Thanks so much... need some encouragement here

Hi smiles,

What you are experiencing is quite common during withdrawals.  Different symptoms seem to pop up , stay awhile, go away, and pop up again.

I have had muscles spasms in my neck and legs for some time now. They come and go.

I hope that you start feeling better soon.

Thanks PJ for replying :)

My neck and back seem to be in one prolonged spasm...=((

I really appreciate your reply... seems I am having all new symptoms =//

Hope you have a good day  :)

I've had this lately as well, along with pounding headaches.

I usually use a heating pad or take a boiling hot shower.

I also own one of those neck massagers that you lay your head on and it helps a great deal. :)

Hi Smiles:

I have had problems with muscle spasms and cramping ever since I came off benzos.  I find that taking a magnesium supplement helps.  It doesn't make them go away entirely but they definitely get worse when I skip taking it for a couple of days.

ntw

Hi Smiles:

I have had problems with muscle spasms and cramping ever since I came off benzos.  I find that taking a magnesium supplement helps.  It doesn't make them go away entirely but they definitely get worse when I skip taking it for a couple of days.

ntw

Thanks ntw :)

I take 800 mg of Magnesium Oxide a day right now. My body doesn't absorb minerals =// I have to take the high doses also because my heart has gone into Atrial Fibrillation and irregular heart beats are caused by low potassium and magnesium levels too :( I hope this goes away soon... the doctor can feel the muscles and OFFER to prescribe me muscle relaxants ... .... NO... I won't be taking those... am really cautious about meds that are prescribed now :(

Also... you are right... I can not skip because when I do everything gets worse and I have ended up in the hospital =//

Have a good day :) 

I've had this lately as well, along with pounding headaches.

I usually use a heating pad or take a boiling hot shower.

I also own one of those neck massagers that you lay your head on and it helps a great deal. :)

Thanks Missey  :angel:

I do use a heating pad and one of those compresses that are made of rice/barley that you can put in the microwave and heat up... :) I love those :)

I can't do the hot boiling hot shower... I break out in hives =//

I just want to know if others have them to the extremes I have been having them... it is soooooo odd. Even when I sit and am relaxed they go spastic :(

Hope you have a symptom free day :(

Smiles I wear a back brace with a heating pad, microwavable, tucked inside all day.  My lower back has been bad.  Now its going into my neck and shoulders.  I will take this anyday over the nerves.  They do spasms more when I relax.  My back had some serious spasms going on.  The only way I can keep them down is with heat.  Linder

Muscle cramping can be a lack of water too...  if you're crying and/or sweating alot all the more reason to drink more water  :thumbsup:

Three years ago I decided to come off Ativan and I was rapidly decreasing my dosage, thinking I could handle it. I started having this horrible sensation in my right arm for a few days, which was soon accompanied by a spasm of the fingers in my right hand. Next thing I knew, when my fingers would cramp, so would the toes on my right foot. Then I started having a spasm on the right side of my forehead to go with the others that would draw my eyebrow up. Sometimes I would have them dozens of times a day. It was a nightmare. I went to a neurologist who did nerve conduction studies, an EEG, etc. He never told me if anything was wrong and I didn't go back since the problem resolved itself after a couple of months when I went back on the full dosage of Ativan. I recently got hold of that neuro's report. Apparently everything was normal, even though I was spasming while the tests were being done. I guess it was the poison's fault, and yes, it will go away.