Beware sinister food additive

[Wa...]

A warning about a toxic food additive which caused my benzo problem and stymied recovery until I discovered it. It's additive #951 Aspartame commonly used in over 6000 food products. Other handles are nutra-sweet equal and sweet 'n low. It will appear in all diet drinks, some sodas, all gum, some pharmaceuticals  some metamucil and even hair shampoo. Basically any consumable which is sweetened and does not use sugar. It is disguised as phenylalanine sometimes and aspartic acid other times. Just Google aspartame and be aware. There is even a movie length documentary on it titled 'Sweet Misery - a Poisoned World'. It is the most complained about additive to the FDA which has reluctantly accepted 92 symptoms before it stopped keeping score. Good eating folks!

Thank you for the information.  I am one of the unfortunates who was made sick by both aspartame and later, sucralose (Splenda).

It took me a while to make the connection, but once I did and quit using them, I felt much better. :)

Missy - so sorry you are a victim too. I hope you have no lasting effects as I am unsure about myself yet. This substance makes my blood boil Grrrrr!

[53...]
Thank you for the information.  I am one of the unfortunates who was made sick by both aspartame and later, sucralose (Splenda).

I used it in my coffee and tea at some point in my taper. It was Splenda.. it did amp me up, and it made me feel sick, too..

So I stopped using it.

I do eat sweets sometimes, but not after a cut.

S#

I got off the Aspartame kick (used to live on Equal pre-benzos) years ago.  Then they came out with Splenda and it tasted so much better and afterall they were advertising it as, "made from real sugar" like to lead you to believe it was all natural.  I used that for years too (pre-benzos) and it never bothered me.

Than I had my first cold turkey from benzos - that's when my nervous system got sensitive, but I hadn't found a benzo forum and knew absolutely nothing.  I remember  that cold turkey - January 2008 and after about 6 weeks I started to feel better - definitely anxiewty through the roof, insomnia, etc., though I didn't know it.  Not many people could resume an exercise program, walk 6-7 miles most days of the week, spin classes, the elliptical rider, weights, etc 2 months after a cold turkeuy.  I continued to drink Duncan Do Nut's large Iced Decafs with 8 splendas in them - I mean 3 or 4 a day during that summer.  I look back and wonder how much that set me back as far as healing.

Now, just a bit of real sugar here and there - I won't deny myself a cookie, or an all puree natural strawberry, mango, orange with protein powder and a whole banana smoothie (although even all natural sugars even rev up my sx but it's good for me - eating is not always that healthy).  Or a cup of coffee with Hazelnut flavor, with cream, and sugar in a cup of coffee.  I can't deny myself everything, otherwisedI'd be really pissed (more pissed off) that I am - so it's a choice I make not to live a life of totally bland foods/flavors.  Howver, I do stat away from MSG!

So, bottom line - no artificial sweeteners - just a bit of real sugar every day.  I'm sure if I used Aspartame or Splenda I'd have  a seizure of something like it.

My two cents,

Sara

Good point on the MSG food additive#621. This is also everywhere and is a neurotoxin like aspartame. Try Googling the search string  MSG + neorotoxin  and you'll never look at take out chinese food the same. Avoid MSG like the plague for your health's sake.

I just had ramen noodles this evening, and the flavor packets contain MSG.  Didn't feel right.. started feeling more anxious.  Not going to rule out the sodium or placebo factor in knowing that it wasn't good for me... but I think you are right about MSG.  Sometimes it actually says monosodium glutamate in the ingredients, but other times it is disguised as natural flavor or the word "enhanced" in front of a normal ingredient. 

It is hard to avoid because it is in a lot of the processed foods you can get at the grocery store.  Makes you wonder if this stuff is the cause of so many people going to doctors for anxiety and ending up on benzos or ADs.

[53...]
I just had ramen noodles this evening, and the flavor packets contain MSG.

Crono,

Yes.. I had the same reaction to the noodles.

I didn't know at the time Ramen Noodles had any MSG in them.

Made me feel dizzy... so I stopped eating them last year.

S#

MSG can be hidden in many ways under names which would not ring a bell such as Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP),  Textured Protein, whey, pea protein, amino acids all to avoid the scary MSG label. It really is a matter of educating yourself rather than suffering and then discarding a food product. Aspartame is scarier still though as it is carcinogenic as well. Both can cause anxiety and panic attacks too. I know from experience unfortunately.

A warning about a toxic food additive which caused my benzo problem and stymied recovery until I discovered it. It's additive #951 Aspartame commonly used in over 6000 food products. Other handles are nutra-sweet equal and sweet 'n low. It will appear in all diet drinks, some sodas, all gum, some pharmaceuticals  some metamucil and even hair shampoo. Basically any consumable which is sweetened and does not use sugar. It is disguised as phenylalanine sometimes and aspartic acid other times. Just Google aspartame and be aware. There is even a movie length documentary on it titled 'Sweet Misery - a Poisoned World'. It is the most complained about additive to the FDA which has reluctantly accepted 92 symptoms before it stopped keeping score. Good eating folks!

So you are saying I need to stop drinking my shampoo!? Upsetting!

:D

Good advice!

Staying away from the fakery!

It's amazing how much "fakery" is in everything!  From our foods to cosmetics to cleaners, etc.

It's no wonder the human race has become so sick in the last 80 years or sohttp://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/smilie_girl_010.gif.

Makes me think if we went back to the plain, simple, unprocessed foods and cleansers of "yesteryear", but added the advancements in medicine, we'd all live to be over 100 years old. :)

As for me, I have done that as much as possible for health reasons (I have MCS), and it truly has made a difference in how I feel by eating unprocessed foods, organic fruits, veggies and meats, and wild caught fish.  I make everything from scratch, including bread.

Yes, it's time consuming and I realize in today's fast paced world most people don't have time to do this.  But, I lived life on the fast track and I became ill, so for me personally, this is a much better life.

I'll bet anyone who gave up processed foods for 30 days would find themselves feeling much better.http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/flower.gif

I'll bet anyone who gave up processed foods for 30 days would find themselves feeling much better.http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/flower.gif

I can definitely tell the difference from eating homemade chili compared to the canned processed stuff.

I feel like the Michelin Man looks http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/MiniRocky/michelin.jpg after eating that stuff.

It's amazing how much "fakery" is in everything!  From our foods to cosmetics to cleaners, etc.

It's no wonder the human race has become so sick in the last 80 years or sohttp://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/smilie_girl_010.gif.

Makes me think if we went back to the plain, simple, unprocessed foods and cleansers of "yesteryear", but added the advancements in medicine, we'd all live to be over 100 years old. :)

As for me, I have done that as much as possible for health reasons (I have MCS), and it truly has made a difference in how I feel by eating unprocessed foods, organic fruits, veggies and meats, and wild caught fish.  I make everything from scratch, including bread.

Yes, it's time consuming and I realize in today's fast paced world most people don't have time to do this.  But, I lived life on the fast track and I became ill, so for me personally, this is a much better life.

Yes Missy - those fruits and veggies right out of the ground would be the best - the kind my Grandmother grew - tomatoes, squash, onions, potatoes.  The pasta -homemade of course - all that dough to feed all those mouths.  She killed chickens in their own back yard - snapping their necks, or with the axe.  Homemade bread, grated the cheese from the big wheels - stuffed cherry peppers.  Then there was the laundry - on a washboard for many years, dragging out the carpets to beat the dust out of them.  How did they have the energy?  And although they were always low on milk (no cow) but she managed to make 3 meals a day (plus put up canning) from all organic ingredients, including the grown herb garden.  And lots of fish - either fished by my Grandfather from charter ships on on ocean, or fresh water from when the lakes were clean.

Yup - lets all put us on that diet and see how'd we feel after a month.

Missy, I had now idea you have MCS and forgive me my ignorance - what is MCS.

I hope you're having a better day sweat heart.

Sara :smitten:

I only eat home cooking but today I checked a banana cake at the supermarket and it had 24 numbered food additives. It was a chemical cocktail and for someone with MCS especially would be real problem. Organic is the only way if you can get it or afford it. At least organic milk is available in our supermarket.

[53...]
At least organic milk is available in our supermarket.

I tried Organic milk once, it amped me up... not saying it will everyone.. but it did me.

S#

MSG can be hidden in many ways under names which would not ring a bell such as Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP),  Textured Protein, whey, pea protein, amino acids all to avoid the scary MSG label. It really is a matter of educating yourself rather than suffering and then discarding a food product. Aspartame is scarier still though as it is carcinogenic as well. Both can cause anxiety and panic attacks too. I know from experience unfortunately.

Yes Wa Sappening,

MSG is under disguise in so many names - all of the ones you mentioned.  It's so hard to avoid and some of the labels make a point of printing, "no MSG added" - very misleading.  As I said, I swore off of aspartame a long time ago even though I crave a good diet soda once in a while.  I stick to old fashioned sugar.

Aspartame, like you said is carcinogenic never mind neuro-toxic - hence the anxiety and panice attacks - I've had the exact same reaction.  When the hell will the FDA make all these food companies come clean?  When hell freezes over or when people start dropping like Flies...

Sara

A week ago Saturday, we went to a new restaurant in  town, and immediately afterwards, I developed hives on my upper left arm, and started to feel sick.  Next day, I was feeling so ill, I had doubts I could make the flight to Toronto on Monday for a medical appointment!

That day, (Sunday), I phoned the restaurant and asked them if they put MSG in their food... the woman said no, but after a bit of prodding, she admitted that the "prepared sauces" they bought may contain MSG.  Beware...it's everywhere, not only in Chinese restaurants.

Decades ago,  I used to ask restaurants if they used MSG before  eating there, then my benzo brain got lazy...MSG goes under an awful lot of names.  Read this link...it's not a long one, and it is really informative, and it contains info about both MSG and Aspartame:

http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

I've also been very careful at home not to use prepared foods and any foods with these  and many other chemicals.

Take care,

Kat

Anytime you ask a waiter in a Chinese (or other type) or restaurant to "hold the MSG", more than likely they say "Sure", then they go into the kitchen and laugh. >:(

If they use prepared or pre-packaged foods of any type, whether it's sauces or even frozen meats, it will have some form of MSG in it.http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/Food%20Smileys/chinese1.gif

Sara - MCS stands for Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.  I was diagnosed in 2008 after I became severely ill from pesticide poisoning.

That's why I must eat organic as much as possible, and why we eat out maybe once a month - sometimes not at all. :)

Good morning, My name is mishi.  Thank your for you advise on the additives.  I was just wondering if phenylalanine comes in a box for hair color is that okay to use because it tells you it is a natural product from the health food store. Also  Wa Sappening what if you cannot get all organic foods. Is that okay also. Hope you are well.  What shampoos do you recommend.  Mishi 

Hi there Mishi,

I haven't come across phenylalanine in shampoo only aspartic acid. Aspartame itself is composed of phenylalanine aspartic acid and methanol the second two being the very dangerous duo. The aspartame breaks down into these products in the body. The problem with shampoo is that some chemicals are absorbed directly into the bloodstream and circumvent the primary defence mechanism of the digestive system and can cross the blood brain barrier easily. I doubt if the full aspartame compound is in shampoo, only one or two of its components. Phenylalanine is more known for causing an allergic reaction in sensitive people which is why the FDA insist it is declared on the label. In a food of course it means aspartame will be present. Your shampoo likely contains petrochemicals and parabens and laurel sulfates etc too which are not good. I'm sure your hair color is fine and natural too as phenylalanine also is naturally occurring and important in our health. Sorry I cannot recommend a shampoo brand as I live in NZ which is for sure not where you live. For myself  I buy on line brands which have no chemicals, only natural oils and ingredients.

Don't worry about not getting organic as it is so difficult most times and expensive too. Just remember 'we are what we eat' and 'garbage in garbage out' so who needs unnecessary chemicals in food or skin products eh?

Cheers

This is a very interesting thread, thank you for posting it. The problem with me is that now that I'm down to 5mg, I don't feel like cooking as I'm tired all the time. My husband will cook but he likes to go out to eat a lot and I don't blame him for he does it all. I try to stay away from artificial sweetners and never did take sugar in my decaffeinated tea.

It's only the last ten years or so that I started to eat sweets as my husband is a fiend for pastry. I guess I just eat it because it's there for I really could do without it.  :idiot: What about dark chocolate, I've been eating some of that lately and I heard that it's good for you?

Frannie

Hi Frannie,

First congrats on the crossover to valium, a wise choice. I notice your taper is slow and steady which will win the race for you.

Ah - chocolate -Yum! Yes chocolate can be very good for you but there is a twist. Dark chocolate is the truly beneficial one though and the higher the cocoa solids the better. Milk choc. is much lower in cocoa mass and has correspondingly less flavonoids and epicatechins which are the ingredients for good health. I have perfect blood pressure and my chocoholic nature has some small part to do with that I think. Also I balance out the calorie intake with good other eating so weight is fine too.

Plus it's such a darn nice feel good snack to reward yourself with.

Here is a link to a very recent UK article  http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/mar/30/chocolate-good-health-cardiovascular-disease

Here is a link to an older US article quoting a report in the The Journal of the American Medical Association

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030827/dark-chocolate-is-healthy-chocolate

Enjoy!