Anxiety or Withdrawal

[Ho...]

I know many of us came to these drugs because of anxiety and then the drugs cause symptoms that would give anyone anxiety. My question: do you think our anxiety keeps the withdrawal going longer/worse.

I do all my old anxiety tools and they are not working. Anyone discovered things that work - what do you think about anxiety fueling the withdrawal or making it last longer.

Thanks

I don't feel the anxiety can interfere with the science of healing, but it can certainly make you more miserable as you do.  Anxiety tools can only do so much to help us, because this isn't normal anxiety, it's caused by a chemical.  I've found that since going through this, what I used to consider anxiety is merely a case of butterflies, compared to the nightmare of benzo anxiety.

Hi, This is an interesting question and something I think about often. Thank you HopeToBeMeAgain for posting.

Pamster - your reply has really helped me. Thank you. I'm having difficult with anxiety at moments when my stress level doesn't seem to cope as it normally should. I wasn't prescribed these medications for anxiety...originally, it was for sleep issues. I think it helps to put it in some perspective, what you've stated.

HopeToBeMeAgain - I do notice as I'm tapering and going through withdrawal, certain stressors will trigger a bout with anxiety. I just have to manage through it, sometimes excuse myself or go home if I really don't feel well, talk myself through the situation, or breath deep. Last night I went for a long walk. This is my second walk since my cross-over and tapering. While I wasn't anxious at the time, I still felt really good from the mild exercise.

Wish I could help more, but will be curious what others say to your question too!

Best wishes,

Jan

I think anxiety may actually speed up healing a little since it would stimulate the GABA system.  Of course, it makes us more miserable along the way so I did all I could to reduce it to a liveable level.  I figure I was able to control maybe 50% of it through various techniques and the rest I just accepted as part of the process.

I agree with Beeper on acceptance. 50% of dealing with the extreme anxiety is being able to accept it and realize why and what is causing it.

It's not an easy thing to do. It took me months to finally figure it out.

Slow walking and deep breathing in combination is a great way to bring down the anxiety. When I would do that, my fast anxiety walk, would start to slow down to more of a relaxing one. If you can't go outside, try listen to some relaxing music while deep breathing and just focus on the acceptance,(knowing the anxiety will lessen) breathing and the music.

There are many other ways that can help you. The main thing is try to distract youself the best you can and try not to let that anxiety turn inward.

Mike

Actually anxiety and stress both lower GABA

Really?  That seems counter-intuitive to me, Hope.  Do you remember your source for this information?  I'd like to know more.

I know sugar can be activating and I know that simple carbs turn into sugar, but apparently bread, potatoes and rice increase gaba.  Weird no?

For sugar its more about the spike in blood sugar then fall that is activating. And gaba is formed from glutamic acid an amino acid found in protein like stated above. It's said those foods increase gaba only because they contain more glutamic acid in relation to its other amino acids. But a bowl of pasta has maybe 7g of protein wheras a bowl of chicken has 25g+. The chicken is going to have more glutamic acid in it than the pasta. The only thing that carbs are important for in regards to neurotransmitters is that the insulin spike allows more tryptophan to enter the brain to be converted to serotonin

what do you think about anxiety fueling the withdrawal or making it last longer.

To be honest I think that most of my withdrawal symptoms are actually caused by anxiety. I just started getting "withdrawal"-symptoms after reading all the horror stories. My whole tapering BEFORE I read the stories were symptom-free. I think that 10% is actual withdrawal and 90% is the result of freaking out.

Defaulted26 - do you have any more info or links to point me to details on the 'spike in blood sugar' you mention? I seem to be having issues with this (spiking/dropping and not sure which) and my sister was just visiting who is a nurse. She felt this was happening due to some of my symptoms. I have a blog on the BuddieBog thread call Jan's Just Believe blog...if you know of anything it may help me to understand this better.

Thanks again HopeToBeMeAgain for your post...I don't mean to jump in and divert from your question, but I've been searching for info on this so your question has really helped me  :)

Jan

For sugar its more about the spike in blood sugar then fall that is activating. And gaba is formed from glutamic acid an amino acid found in protein like stated above. It's said those foods increase gaba only because they contain more glutamic acid in relation to its other amino acids. But a bowl of pasta has maybe 7g of protein wheras a bowl of chicken has 25g+. The chicken is going to have more glutamic acid in it than the pasta. The only thing that carbs are important for in regards to neurotransmitters is that the insulin spike allows more tryptophan to enter the brain to be converted to serotonin

That makes a lot of sense.  Thank you for clarifying.

Jan

Anytime you get the nervous system over activated it will use huge amounts of glucose (blood sugar) and the whole feedback loop will be altered. The cure is to eat a low glycemic diet with all complex carbs in smaller amounts, lots of protein and ample fats.

Google low glycemic diet

Yep that's exactly what I was going to say  hope..check out the low glycemic diet or the hypoglycemic diet. Or atkins. You will learn about blood sugar when you look at those lol.

[42...]