Help!!!! I'm getting surgery tomorrow!

[iz...]

Hey guys,  I am extremely anxious right now because I have surgery tomorrow morning.  I feel like I will need something to help with my anxiety during pre-op but I know they usually use benzo's.  I am 3 weeks into a c/t off of .75 mg K and onto 4mg V.  Would the Pre-op drugs mess up my taper?  Will they still affect me as good as they do with people who have never taken them on a daily basis?  I am just extremely worried.

If I understand it correctly, it's just a single dose of a benzo (if that's what they use) so shouldn't interfere with your taper.  I do think you can ask for something other than a benzo be used if you are concerned about it.  I haven't had to have surgery since tapering off so don't have any personal experience to base this on; just what I've read at BB.

A one time dose won't be a problem for your taper, I understand how anxious you are, I had a couple of surgeries when I was withdrawing.  Just make sure they don't sent any benzo's home with you, and I'd be careful with the pain meds too.  Some folks look to them to help with the benzo symptoms and that never leads to anything good.  Good luck tomorrow.

Thank you so much... this helps a lot.  I am not planning on bringing home any narcotics or benzos, only tylenol so that should not be a problem.

Hey everyone,  Everything went great!  I am on my way to being healed and happy.  When I went in for surgery I talked to the anesthesiologist who made me feel a lot better.  They ended up not giving me any benzo's which was a good thing for my body but not for my mental state.  haha.  My blood pressure right before surgery was 176/110!  I was on the verge of a meltdown, but once they gave me the good drugs I was fine.  :)

Thanks everyone!

I am having a colonoscopy on Friday and am freaking out.

I have been weaning off of my xanax and was supposed to cut the dose on Tuesday, but I am going to delay the cut until next week...do you think that's a good idea?

I have been on the xanax for the past 5 yrs. I am so worried about the procedure...

any thoughts would be most appreciative....

don't know if i should have started a new post but this post has my title...

Mary

I am having a colonoscopy on Friday and am freaking out.

I have been weaning off of my xanax and was supposed to cut the dose on Tuesday, but I am going to delay the cut until next week...do you think that's a good idea?

I have been on the xanax for the past 5 yrs. I am so worried about the procedure...

any thoughts would be most appreciative....

don't know if i should have started a new post but this post has my title...

Mary

Hi Mary,

I don't see any reason to delay your cut this week, unless you feel it will help you to feel less stressed.  Please don't worry about this procedure and the drug you'll be given, if you feel strongly about the medication they'll be giving you, then talk to your Dr to find out what it will be.  You can request something different if you don't agree with his recommendation, just explain your circumstances.

The thing is, it's a one time dose and it won't set your taper back, nor will it cause you any other issues.  Try to calm yourself, worrying about this is far worse than the actual procedure.

Pam

Pam,

Have you had a colonoscopy?

I don't know what to expect....I feel the prep is probably worse than the procedure,

is that your experience. Or do you know someone who's had one?

I am so very nervous about the whole thing.

Mary

Pam,

Have you had a colonoscopy?

I don't know what to expect....I feel the prep is probably worse than the procedure,

is that your experience. Or do you know someone who's had one?

I am so very nervous about the whole thing.

Mary

Yes I've had one and I didn't think the prep or the procedure was bad at all.  The prep is nothing more than sitting near the toilet for a day, and losing a few pounds in the process.  :thumbsup:  The procedure is lights out for about 15 minutes, then up and out of there an hour later.  You're going to do just fine, and I'm glad you're taking care of yourself, colon cancer is preventable.

Pam is right, you will be fine.  I know it is extremely hard not to worry but once it is all over you will be so relieved.  Also I wouldn't worry too much about your medications.  I talked to my doctor before my surgery and opted to not have benzo's and everything went great.  Best of luck!