Author Topic: Is this sinus infection, SSRI or benzo withdrawals? Feel like absolute trash!  (Read 3112 times)

[Buddie]

I'm going through a really difficult situation right now and could use some of y'alls advice. Let me give a quick rundown of everything going on.

Current symptoms (worst to least)

* Nausea & Dizzyness - not really in my stomach, but in my head. Feel like I'm going to vomit at any minute
* Extreme fatigue, as if I can't even lift a spoon to eat.
* Chills (no fever) - freezing cold!
* Sweating
* Sinus headaches & earaches - pressure behind eyes
* Ear fullness
* Extreme sensitivity to sound
* Anxiety
* Shakiness

1.) Had a terrible time getting off klonopin a year ago but finally did. See oldschool posts if necessary.

2.) Doc started me on Xanax .5mg as needed for panic attacks that resurfaced in January '11. For the past two months or so, I've "yo-yo'd" as they say from taking 1 to 1.5 mg per day for a few days, then a few days off,  etc etc. Probably no more than a week off in between at any given time. About 12 or so days ago, I started to notice a tolerance; .5 mg wasn't doing it anymore, and I upped it to .75 mg at a time. Bad sign, I know. Basically have taken them every day since, but pretty much ran out and the doc wants me off so he hasn't prescribed any more. So for the past few days I've gone from taking close to 2 mg/day to more like .5mg/day spread throughout the day. Just took my last one left. Not ideal.

3.) Ended up with what felt like the flu (fever of 100.5), followed by a cold, followed by a sinus infection about 10 days ago. Felt terrible, although I feel like the sinus symptoms themselves are beginning to resolve. I have severe chronic sinus issues and am seeing an ENT on wednesday to sort this out. I'm concerned I still have a low-grade bacterial infection and that it's causing these symptoms.

4.) Started taking Celexa (10 mg) about 5 days ago. I've taken Lexapro in the past, and don't remember having terrible onset symptoms. Probably the worst possible time to start this drug, but my anxiety has crippled me and emotions have been all over the place; it's gotta happen.

I've felt literally like I'm dying for the past few days and have been inches from driving myself to the ER. Can someone shed some light on what the hell is going on in my life right now?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Sinus Infection or Withdrawals? Feel like absolute trash!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:33:18 am »
It's amazing the strange effects these drugs can have on a person. You wouldn't think that sinus issues would be related, but it seems like a lot of strange things can flare up from benzo withdrawal.

You say you feel like you are dying- I can definitely relate. Never in my life would I have imagined I could feel as bad as I do from benzo withdrawal. If someone were to ask me tomorrow what hell feels like, I now feel like I am qualified to give an accurate description.

Hopefully some of the vets around here will be able to throw in their .02
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

I'm afraid no one here can tell whether or not you have a sinus infection in addition to some benzo-related symptoms.  Sometimes actual illnesses attack at the same time and it can be difficult to tell.  A doctor should be able to tell just by looking in your nose whether or not you have an infection and if you do, treat it.  If not, you will know it's likely just withdrawal from the xanax.  Hope you feel better soon.

[Buddie]

Hi Sk8man!
Yeah some of those symptoms may be due to an infection, benzo w/d, or both.

I was struck with a couple of colds and a nasty sinus infection this past Winter while tapering from clonazepam.  Not fun.
As [...] said a doc should be able to help figure out if you have an infection.

All my best! :)

[Buddie]

I should've given a bit more detail. Went to the Dr, he thought it was a sinus infection and gave me Zithromax. Took it, started to feel better and then I got hit with that flu/cold thing, now it's all back. Questionable as to whether or not we use more antibiotics, which is why i'm seeing the ENT on Wednesday.

I'm sitting here freaking out thinking I have an infection moving towards my brain. I'm terrified.

[Buddie]

About a month ago, your post could have been written by me.....The symptoms that you list are exactly what was happening to me. My ears ached, were all plugged up. I had lots of pressure in my face area.

I went to the DR. because I thought that I had a sinus infection. I was checked out and told that she wasn't really sure if it was a sinus infection, gave me an antibiotic any way. I took it,  but it didn't really help.  I am sure that what I had was just another benzo symptom.

I have had flu- like symptoms several times during withdrawal, it is quite common. I will caution you that we all react so differently during withdrawls, so never hesitate to see your DR. if your gut-feeling tells you to.

[Buddie]

The only thing is is that I know i Have fluid in my sinuses because I went to the dentist the other day who took xras that showed sinus inflammation.

Now I have a slight temp of 99.2. Im a nervous wreck right now.

[Buddie]

Seems like you are being plagued by some of that obsessive, paranoid thinking that can be so prevalent in benzo w/d.  If you really can't talk yourself out of thinking the worst of the worst, call your ENT tomorrow and see if he can fit you in.  Sometimes if you're willing to go sit in the waiting room a couple of hours, they will fit you in.  Hope you feel better soon.

[Buddie]

Hey Sk8.  What part of the country are you in?  Are spring allergies kicking in like here in the Southeast?  I finished ten days on an antibiotic a week ago and the last couple days, sore throat and post nasal drip is back, acid reflux is back too probably from the allergies/pollen.  Oak is very high here and other pollens.  We also have a dog which probably doesn't help with the dander.  I was also thinking whether to go to the ENT to try a different antibiotic. It's frustrating having just finished a round of Augmentin but maybe I wasn't on long enough or maybe it wasn't the right medication?  I've been off benzos for a year.  I typically got one to two sinus infections a year before benzos and during the year I tapered in 2009.  Last year, I got one in November.  Pain in the arse. Sometimes a saline flush with netipot can help or you can try Simply Saline from the drugstore over the counter.  It tends to help some if its more allergy reaction.  I also don't have a fever.  The acid reflux is frustrating too.  I've heard reflux can cause sinus problems as well.  By the way, I've heard that starting celexa or lexapro can have increase in anxiety and s/x the first few weeks before it starts to "work".   If you need the ER, go, but I'm sure you realize they will likely pump you with valium or another benzo.

Hope you feel better,

[...]

[Buddie]

Hey there..I to have been battleing severe sinus issues for the time in w/d 10 months ...i never had sinus probs be4....But las month i for sure thought that my sxs were reving up  got so bad with my head ears throat i was awful had all the sxs u mentioned...Well after 8 days of hell i decided to go to dr...Yes i was sick very sick..Rememeber yes our sxs get worse when we have infections so just make sure you dont get fever if you do its a idication of infection...Feel Better Your friend [...]