agarophobia

[De...]

My husband has always been normal, but in the past month he has developed agarophobia (fear of being in public places or being around people.  :(

He gets these panic attacks/ severe anxiety in public.  He is a realtor and has always been outgoing and always the life if the party, but the past month, he can't even be comfortable in social situations.

I put the fear of God in him to let dr's hive him benzos.

:tickedoff:

Anyone have or know someone like this????

Ps. His mom had something similar at his age

[06...]

yes I had agoraphobia before any benzo.. I would freeze up where  I stood from the anxiousness.

I also have the type where I'm afraid of wide open spaces at times, not heights, but wide open spaces.

Hi, thanks for your replies. No, my husband isn't on benzos (I had mistyped using my phone earlier- darn autocorrect), he told the Dr's my experience and wants nothing to do with them.  They gave him propanal (misspelled?), which slows the heart.

Keryn, how did you get over it?  Any advice?  His anxiety in public is really hard on him.

Thx so much!

[06...]
Keryn, how did you get over it?  Any advice?  His anxiety in public is really hard on him.

I'm not trying to sound unfriendly or un- buddy'ish .. but I have never really been a people person.. I guess it came then

from childhood. I really don't know.

I try to ignore the thoughts of what ppl may do.. but it's in phases with mine, it's not linear..

I tutored last year and had trouble focusing, but I did it.. I tutored 7th grade, and a classroom full.

With places like Wal-Mart and so on.. I just stay out of people's way..

I'm sorry I'm not much help in this..

Does your husband have a fear of wide open spaces or?

Inderal or propanolol is widely used for social anxiety situations.  Many singers, actors, public speakers, use this before performing to help with the symptoms associated with being in public.  If it persists, he should have his thyroid and adrenal functions evaluated. 

If this proves normal, he might consider cognitive behavioral therapy.  It seems unusual for someone to develop agoraphobia, without some precipitating factor.  It should be evaluated, not just treated with propanolol.

Good luck, Sky

I totally agree with checking the thyroid and adrenal function.  It is a simple blood test and can at least put your mind to rest.  Your husband might look into a holistic doctor.  Perhaps some psychotherapy to get to the root of what is causing this.  I could suggest many herbs and natural supplements that can also help alleviate some of the symptoms.  But ultimately I recommend trying to get to the heart of what is causing this.  I would highly recommend eating lots of vegetables and whole grains and getting plenty of sleep and avoiding stimulants.  Those three things contribute to overall health and may help alleviate some of the symptoms.  Maybe even start a little cognitive behavioral therapy book.  It will help identify the root of the problem and if he opts for psychotherapy it will help the doc identify the root of the problem.  Also exposure therapy is always a good option but it sounds like his job provides that.  Best of luck!

[bb...]

Just keep him from taking a Benzo for the Agoraphobia...  :o

There are other solutions and ways of coping with it..

S#

Thanks all for your replies!

Sigma, definitely! He saw what I have been going through, so I know he will steer clear! 

[bb...]

Thanks all for your replies!

Sigma, definitely! He saw what I have been going through, so I know he will steer clear! 

:thumbsup: