xanax withdrawal

[Do...]

Hello,

I had been prescribed xanax for the past 20 years.  No one told me about the rebound effect of this drug, nor did they tell me that I would be withdrawing between doses.  I took this drug as prescribed, actually less than prescribed.  However, my life was falling apart.  I came to realize on my own that it was not me, but it was the drug that was ruining my life.  I decided 22 days ago to get off xanax; and all I knew is that I needed to be medically supervised.  So, I checked myself into a "detox" ward of a hospital where they took me off cold turkey.  I have been to now three detox units.  I was obviously still having major withdrawal symptoms (could not walk, was climbing the walls, etc.).  I didn't really have any follow up care, however, luckily I knew a detox physician who helped me on the phone as much as he could.  However, everyone recognized that it was very unwise for me to have been taken off cold turkey.  I was on 3 mg daily  of xanax.  I was probably in either still the "acute" phase of withdrawal or in the "protracted withdrawal syndrome" when I entered the last detox center 6 days ago.  Though I resisted at first, but to avoid have a psychotic break, all agreed that I should be put on a small dose of valium and then withdraw from that small dose over the next few months. So, that is where I am now.  I am going to be followed by a psychiatric nurse practitioner for the taper.  So, I am, in essence about 4/5ths of the way there. This was the only option for me; and I believe that it is the necessary option.  Trying to "tough it out" was something my body just could not do.  I am completely committed to being drug free; and I will do it now.  I would love to hear from people who have gone though this process to see what their experience has been.  I am also doing homeopathy and amino acid supplements to help me with the process.  I slept for the first time in 22 days last night, after taking the homeopathy and taking a long epsom salt bath with lavendar.  Please respond as I am not really sure how this site works.  Thanks

Hi DonnaZ, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm so very sorry to hear what has happened to you, what a nightmare!  I wish you had known to contact us before you went to those detoxes, we could have saved you so much agony.  I quit cold turkey too and understand the depth of your despair over what was happening to you.

We can help you get off the last of the Valium, do you have a taper plan, can we suggest some options?  How much are you taking, and what dose of Xanax did you quit?  I'm sorry for the questions, but it will help us understand your situation a little better.

You're not alone, we're here to help.

Pam

Hi,

THANKS so much for the response.  I don't have a taper plan yet; will probably get a plan next Wednesday.  However, I certainly trust people who have done it more than the medical profession.  I was taking 3 mg.of Xanax daily and now I am taking 8 mg. of valium daily, starting three days ago.  Would love to get a schedule for getting off the valium.  Thanks so much for your input.

Hi Donna,

So the 8 mg is helping you somewhat?  Considering the Valium equivalent to 3 mgs of Xanax is 60 mgs of Valium, you've come a long way since your cold turkey.  We typically like to see people taper from Valium by about 1 mg reduction every week or two, however I've seen some do .5 and less. 

Have you read any of the Ashton manual, we use it here as a great source of information, it helps us understand what's happening to us.  Chapter 3 is especially good because it describes our symptoms and tells us why we feel them. http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

What is important for you to realize is that it takes us a long time to heal from this, it took me about 14 months but some heal a little quicker, and some slower.  Being drug free is only part of this journey, the other is waiting for our bodies to heal after we're off the drug, and as you know, it's pretty painful.

Hi Donna and welcome to BB. I am so sorry to hear about your cold turkey and how awful it was. Has the reinstatement helped you at all? I am glad to hear you finally got some sleep. Hang in there, this process can be tough, but everyone heals from this and with time you will too. Slow and steady is the best way to taper off, you may want to give your body some time to settle down before starting your taper depending on how you feel.

Hi,

Thank you so much for both responses.  After I started this process I was introduced to Professor Ashton's work, and have read her work on the protracted withdrawal syndrome.  Yes, I have come a long way, however just four days ago I was not able to walk - need two people to take me to the bathroom.  Before withdrawing I was exercising regularly and was quite strong, but without extra weight.  I have lost about 9 pounds in the last 22 days and if I had nine pounds of muscle it is now gone -temporarily.  I am starting to work with a wonderful personal trainer in two days AGAIN.  He is a great support person both physically and mentally, as he is a VERY positive person, lives his bliss (surfing even in Maine in the winter and elsewhere on the weekends.  Anyway, going on the Valium has help me as I am now able to function.  This is only the second day home from the hospital and I have functioned quite well.  I know that I will not be agoraphobic anymore and am anxious to drive again.  I actually registered my car today (someone drove me as I am still unsteady on my feet a bit).  I do feel quite strongly that the homeopathy has helped me.  I am taking for the past two days combination remedies called "addict 1" and "addict 2" as well as "Guna-Mood".  I think these remedies helped me to sleep last night.  I just took a epsom salt and lavender oil bath and will now listen to a guided imagery CD that just arrived today, which I ordered from healthjourneys.com.  I will listen to the CD called "Restfull Sleep". 

I am going to see the psychiatric nurse practitioner next week;  She did not plan to start to taper me until that time - will see what she has to say.  I am somewhat confused since I just starting taking the valium, however, my withdrawal from xanax was so severe and "protracted" that this small amount has helped me.  I am going to do it right this time, and appreciate any help and support you all can give.  I have started doing yoga and yoga meditation and can't wait to get outdoors for exercise as well.  I plan on listening as well to the "General Wellness" and the Panic Disorder CD's which I ordered from the same website.  I am so ready to live my life, but do know that I tend to push myself too hard too fast - so I am going to pamper myself and do as much as I can to live my life fully so as not to concentrate too much on what my body is going through and will go through in the next months.  Any more suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  I am going to go to bed now, don't know what time zones you are in - so will respond tomorrow morning.  THANKS  DONNA Z

I'm amazed you're feeling as well as you are, it usually takes Valium quite awhile to build up in your body.  It's got a lot of sedative qualities in it, so it might be contributing to your being able to sleep.

You've got the right attitude to get your life back on track, I'm not sure what suggestions I could make, you seem to have everything covered pretty well.  :thumbsup: