constant fear of death and afterlife

[Jo...]

I can't get it out of my head. it terrifies me, I'm so scared to die. an what's gonna happen when I die.

I don't know what's a benzo symptom or a candida or other symptom I'm losing it.

today I tried some normal food an my arms an legs have been falling askeep very easily an been itchy all over and I don't feel like my body parts are mine. now I'm havin crying spells an so scared of death.

I don't know if it's benzos or food. I'm so sick of eating ***** veggies an tue same food over an over i resent everyone around me eating whatever they want an living their lives while I suffer.

even before benzos I had the limbs falling askeep issue when I ate certain foods. I'd wake up at night an my entire left or right arm would be completely dead. no feeling at all. you could stab it feel nothing. I'd have to get up an shake my arm around an then I could slowly feel it come back.

edit: profanity

Hey well when i finally weaned off valium i had these irrational fears to was all i could think about i ended up going to the docs and getting antidepressants i definately think this is a symtom it will go away and u will heal im now 6 months off nearly 7 and would say im bout 95% healed all the best ox

probably doesn't help that been reading ALOT about energy an spirits an entities an chakras an past lives an all that stuff

if you think too much about death you are going to have bad symptoms i'm the same i know is hard to control your thought even imppossible  sometimes but if you are happy those kind of thoughts vanished trust me thinking about death is waisting beautiful time of life ,if it is cause of withdrw than will pass by the time . i'm in the same situation .

Trust me i did exactly the same googling spirits etc its from withdrawal and will pass this was the worste symtom for me i even bought a book called afterlife off the net, now i never think these thoughts,what med were u taking?i was on valium

Hey Johnny347.... I had crazy thoughts last year when i was on seroquel, paxil, klonopin and remeron... sooooo the after life we cant think about it ... It will happen but u have alot of work to do down here when you get off these meds.. Pick up a book that is positve. I read a book called awareness, the Bible and everyman's battle... Some issues that i'm working thru but these books are helpful for me--- give it a try and dont beat yourself up...Psalm 23 and Psalm 103 my fav's

I know that sensation of impending doom. I had it when tried to quit benzos for the first time. I believe that is anxiety over the roof coupled with successive panic attacks. Short version is that is adrenalin pumping when it shouldn't. It's w/d.

I know that it's almost impossible to keep positive thoughts.

I would stay way from any kind religious reading while you feel that way. But that's me. For you it might be different.

Try making puzzles or anything similar. Something that doesn't require a lot of mind effort but will keep your mind busy.

Hang in there :)

...i understand.

...i have a real phobia of death and a phobia of others dying....never had this before gonig off klonopin.  ...i obsess over it...sometimes cry about it....death just really scares me.

...sometimes when i am having a good moment the fear leaves me...feel totally normal...calm...able to deal with life and death...but...when acutely anxious that fear rears up and can't stop thinking about death and life....alwaqys thinking bout meaning of life and can't find any.  ...some would call this depression...some would call it being obesssive.

...all i know is that i do lots of thinking and analyzing to try to remember how cool calm collected i used to be. ...all i know is that never had a fear fo livign or dying til trying to get off of klonopin.

...the moments that i feel normal make me realize that my thoughts just get converted to fear and terror and anxiety...that there is great hope that after done with taper and in months/years ahead will feel so differently and fear will be mild.

...just really understand...scares you a lot...makes you scared of being alive...always feeling like you or someone yyou love will die.

...sorry that you have these thoughts fears too...real sorry.

...just realy know the terror and doom and gloom.

...gotta trust what others say that all will pass...gotta get done with your taper...me too.

...it will get better, man...swear it willl.  ...some day you will fight the fear and understnad reality again.

...you gonna get better.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jonny, I became obsessed with a few sayings about death from movies and elsewhere so I sort of had a morbid obsession with it for a while but things like this seem a lot better when taking Valium.  I switched from 1 mg Xanax to 20 mg Valium so I can tell you it starts to feel better with less weird symptoms due to the benzo levels being up and down all the time.  Valium smooths it all out due to having a way longer half life than Xanax.

As for the limb going to sleep (losing all feelings) at night that happens to me too but it's only due to having laid on an arm while asleep.  This interrupts the nerves I'd say since it definitely makes the limb totally numb for a short while but it has never resulted in any lasting damage or other problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Ay bro,

I had these thoughts all the time as well, especially in the beginning of all this madness.  I was scared of not seeing my family or daughter due to death, which tore me up on the inside.  Those thoughts go away after time, the things I did to cope with them is to talk to my family, or people on forums to give me hope from others similar experiences.  I also read the Bible as well, Jesus healed so many people, and I put all my faith in him and I know that's how I've fought through a lot of these symptoms through the strength he has blessed me with.

Just find some positive material to read, or some activity to keep your mind busy throughout the day, which is very hard to do because you really can't control your thoughts, but try to keep it distracted as best as you can until the thoughts sub side.

Stay strong, you'll definitely get through it  :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, there is something about the anxiety from this condition that makes death frightening. The hard thing about forums and talking about afterlife or religious material is that everyone is different and not all people believe the same things. I got saved January 3 1996 and you know something I still fear dying alot of times but i credit that to mostly my lack of faith and some to anxiety. If your scared of the afterlife you must believe thier is one. Hang in there on your recovery and if you want to talk about God feel free to message me

I totally relate as well.. when I was tapering klonopin I would constantly think about how I was going to die. I am not normally a control freak but I have to be in control of my own death. I do not want to die naturally from disease or by a car accident etc.. I have to do it myself.. how morbid is this.?  I have a really strong believe in the afterlife and have read volumes of books about it and researched the internet now for over 7 years. It all started when my cat died.. the only true love of my life literally.  I had to know where he went, what he was doing and I wanted him to visit me.  I got several miracles around this and am so happy to have delved into the afterlife..

I am not afraid of being on the otherside, I really cannot wait because it IS HOME.. But I am afraid of the change.. that sounds weird I know.. I just think it's the change that we all fear. If we have a strong faith and believe in whatever we believe and know it to be true then why else would we fear death? It must be change or of course the process of dying.. I fear change every day of my life. I hate the thought that I might have to move. I hate the thought that I might have a totally different life that I have now.. I guess that's why a lot of spiritual leaders preach "living in the NOW".. Do not think about the future because it hasn't happened and you do not know how or what is going to happen so why worry about something that probably, most likely will not happen. Of course we all will die but you do not know how you will be feeling when that day comes. A lot people who are old or sick welcome that day as it arrives. I also believe they have a certain knowing as death approaches, a type of peace comes over them and fear is gone. This is how it just might be for everyone just before we do die so why worry about it now and create a scenerio in your mind that will never come to be. So when your thoughts arise just tell yourself it's a stupid story that the drug is telling you and tell it to shut the hell up because you know better.  I have a very favorite book that helps me stay in the present. It's called How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie..  Love it!!  ;D

I know exactly what you're talking about Johnnyb347. Like  dedwards, I am saved too (since 1987), but still have some fear of dying (used to not have this problem; it's the meds); only have this feeling on occasion now. Everyone is different in what they believe, but here are some Scripture verses that have helped me:

Blessings,

Sir William

Edit: Removed scripture quotes per the FUM

I'm not afraid of going home.  Actually what scares me is what I have to go through to get there. Have to really work on giving my worries to God. 

• 2 months later...
Hi Strongone. I'm not sure how to private message but you describe my situation exactly. I have a question if you can please message me. Thank you

You are not alone!  I have this fear too.  It just started last week when I started tapering off Klonopin (ironically at the exact same time my father was diagnosed with cancer) 

So I've been dealing with all the "big life" questions myself.  Im even a Christian - but I still struggle with this!  I have Faith but it comes and goes.  Right now I'm very angry that my dad has cancer & even though he is still here on earth with me - I fear if he does get worse and passes I may never see him again?  Its a terrible thought - but my it crosses my mind.. 

I have to have Faith that I will see all my loved ones in heaven/afterlife again!

Im here if you need to chat!  Ive found some great people on here & its amazing how we are all going through similiar fears! 

Hi Leah! We really are twins! ;) I'm feeling more and more like this feeling really is from paxil WD and not a random existential crisis. It makes me feel better almost knowing it's the drugs for some reason? Just hoping it goes away soon since I reinstated.

probably doesn't help that been reading ALOT about energy an spirits an entities an chakras an past lives an all that stuff

Yeah, thats probably not such a good thing to read about right now

• 1 month later...

I wish I found this thread when I did C/T Clonazepam. I had extreme fear of death, dying and also an acute sense of the loss of God and the meaning of life.

I still have it but the windows are getting bigger.

• 2 months later...
Yep, I am having major anxeity about death..everything I feel is a cancer symptom ...and its so scary..I need to work on giving my worry over to God as well...leaving in a state of fear cant be good for our health either.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I am having major anxeity about death..everything I feel is a cancer symptom ...and its so scary..I need to work on giving my worry over to God as well...leaving in a state of fear cant be good for our health either.

You are right it cannot be good for our health.. What can we do... Hoping our bodies come back to normal again..  You do feel like your dying everyday a slow death..

Hope it gets better for you

mishi