Anxiety, Allergies and Antihistamines

[ve...]

Hi. Anybody taking antihistamines for anxiety?  One buddy mentioned atarax helped them some.  I took an allegra last night for allergies and woke up less anxious but groggy.  I may try half dose tonight and see what happens. Anyone had other experience with antihistamines?  By the way, read an article that suggested caution with zyrtec if taking elavil, valium, xanax, prozac,paxil, zoloft and maybe other a/ds...  See below.

http://www.allergyescape.com/best-antihistamines.html

Best,

Vertigo

I took benadryl (gen.) for sleep but not for anxiety.  I guess any sedating antihistamine would have some kind of calming effect though I could never take them during the day if I wanted to do anything.

Thanks Beeper.  I am now experimenting with a child's dose of allegra instead of the full adult dose of 180mg which made me pretty groggy the next day.  I took 30mg the other day and slept pretty well and anxiety was lower than usual.  Last night I took 60mg. Tonight I am going to try 45mg and see how it pans out.  Allergy season is rough but I'm gonna see if less is more in this case and whether it also might help calm down the anxiety.  Also, a buddy recommended Tyrosine.  It's an amino acid which is supposed to be a precursor of dopamine. 

Vertigo

When I was in jail (which is when I went cold turkey off benzos) - they gave Atarax for anxiety.  Once I was through the worst of my w/d, it did seem to help somewhat.  Now I have been taking Benadryl mostly every night to help with sleep, and it seems to calm me somewhat!!

Hi...I had taken benadryl once a few months ago because my eyes were so itchy......will never do this again it sent me into even more anxiety and very strong heart palps on top of what I had already been dealing with...I think everybody reacts different to these types of remedies but just saying please be cautious........will never do this again...instead of it calming my symptoms it made them even more worse...then it did not even stop the itching of the eyes at all.

Hi Sunny, Atarax is a prescription strength antihistamine, basically the same thing as Benadryl.  I don't have a prescription for it now, I am just taking over the counter Benadryl, which does help somewhat

I take a single Benadryl tablet as needed for my allergies. Just one knocks me for a loop. You can see the sleep descend on my face. And that's half the regular dose. I would love to take a Claritin instead (also lasts longer) but B is sposed to be safer during w/d so B it is. I agree with Beeper that anything that sedating would have a positive effect on the anxiety (except if you react badly). I'm sorry you're still anxious so far out, V

Zyrtec gave me rage. As in rage within one hour of taking it. I laid into the poor cashier at Rite Aid because their sales never ring up properly and they always try to overcharge people.  I was furious.  It was the medication. Then it gave me some kind of ganglionic cyst in my hand, second knuckle. It took two weeks for that to go away and it was painful.

If I take one benadryl it will be ok usually

Vert,

I have tried Atarax and benadyl.  The benadryl will knock you out and I took it for weeks.  Only problem?  I was groggy, totally out of it the next day and... I read somewhere (maybe Wiki) that it affects serotonoin in the brain and when you stop taking it ofter people get rebound insomnia.  I suppose once in a while is OK for sleep but not every night.

Hope you're doiong OK Vert.  Oh, BTW, are there any other insects that you like that I can send you,  ;)?

Sara

Thanks Sara for your post.  How about some tulips?  Those are nice :pokey::).  Well, I took 1/4 allegra last night and it was plenty to ward off some of the allergies and I slept pretty good last night, woke up dreaming :thumbsup:.  Also, anxiety was down this morning and not groggy.  The normal adult dose of allegra is 180mg.  I quartered it so I only took 45mg.

Best,

Vertigo

Hmm, I know someone who said the same thing about Claritin - uncontrollable rage

I had benzo rage in the early months off benzos and without allegies or antihistamines :)

V

Thanks Sara for your post.  How about some tulips?  Those are nice :pokey::).  Well, I took 1/4 allegra last night and it was plenty to ward off some of the allergies and I slept pretty good last night, woke up dreaming :thumbsup:.  Also, anxiety was down this morning and not groggy.  The normal adult dose of allegra is 180mg.  I quartered it so I only took 45mg.

Best,

Vertigo

Vertigo is this Allegra over the counter or do you need a prescription? And, do you still feel like it's helping your anxiety a bit?  I'm wanting to know my possible options if the anxiety comes back in full force. I've had about 20% more today than 4 days ago, but I quit taking the Seroquel 2 nights ago and increased my dose of Trazodone for my insomnia and I think I'm having an adjustment period. I hope it's not returning.  :'( 

Before I was put on Klonopin, they put me on Atarax for anxiety. I took 50mg every 6 hours. It seemed to only help the anxiety a little bit, although it was better than nothing. However, it does make you drowsy, which I disliked.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the US and I believe Atarax is known as Hydroxyzine in the states.  It's a prescribed old school antihistimine, used for itching, allergies and has antianxiety properties.  Zyrtec is made from the active ingredients of Hydroxyzine.  Zyrtec is over the counter and my guess is a lower dose than the prescription version. 

I have been using Hydroxyzine (50 mg) mostly for morning terrors and (12.5 - 25 mg) smaller doses as needed.  It has made a big difference for me.  However it does make me tired, a little foggy and sometimes my face gets flushed and some other minor issues.  However, studies show that after long term use it can cause Tardive Dyskenesia (sp) that can be permanent. 

[62...]
I'm in the US and I believe Atarax is known as Hydroxyzine in the states.  It's a prescribed old school antihistimine, used for itching, allergies and has antianxiety properties.  Zyrtec is made from the active ingredients of Hydroxyzine.  Zyrtec is over the counter and my guess is a lower dose than the prescription version.

Yes, this is correct, as I had to look up this info. not long ago.

I do have seasonal allergies, and it's every year.

I find in withdrawal.. the allergies seem to "Amp" up a bit.. well, in my case.

I have sinuses as well.

S#