Persistent bladder spasm

[pb...]

Hi all,

I'm was on diazepam 5mg x 3 for a some months. I've reduced from 10mg x 3  some months ago without any symptoms.

Early this year, I reduced to 5mg x 1 (at night). Some discomfort, but no major symptoms except heart racing and being really but really jumpy. Anything would trigger an adrenaline rush. Even a small sound when I'm not expecting it. I considered this normal and it's OK to deal with.

However, after one month on 5mg x 1, without any warning I developed what it seems a persistent bladder spasm. To pee is very difficult. Usually I start normally, but it suddenly stops the flow and I have to mentally "reorganize" the muscles to let it flow. I eventual empty up the bladder, but sometimes it takes 3 trips to the bathroom, specially in the morning.

I have an appointment with an urologist to check it, but I would like to know if this is a common withdrawl symptom. I got back on 5 mg x 3 times a day, but problem persists. I wouldn't mind going through it if I was sure it was withdrawl.

So my questions are:

1. Is experiencing bladder spasms like described above common ?

2. When in withdrawl / protracted do symptoms reverse if we get back to full dosage ?

Thank you

Hi,

I hope this helps a bit.

1) I have never had this symptom, but I have seen it discussed here.

2) No. There is no guarantee going back up on dosage will stop this issue.

TC

Hi pbbsmith,

My problem is not exactly the same; however, it does involve the bladder. I have been on Klonopin 1mg/daily for about 10 years and recently was increased to 2mg/daily. For several years I have had a problem with urine retention. I would pee and feel like I was done, but found that I still had quite a bit of urine left.

I had been to two different urologists and both of them immediately picked up on the Klonopin and said that it could affect the bladder. Of course, my shrink denies it.

I recently started going to a third urologist and he said he never heard of Klonopin (or any benzo) affecting the bladder. I just took that to mean he really had no clue. He put me on Urecholine, which is supposed to help the bladder contract to "force" the urine out. Doesn't seem to be helping though. It seems that the "flood" comes, but the "floodgates" won't open. As much as I "concentrate", just won't happen.

Yesterday, I went to my shrink and told him that I was on Urecholine. He proceeded to tell me that this was an old medication and was used back in the day when antidepressants/antianxiety medications did affect the bladder. Of course, my ears perked right up. If medications "used" to affect the bladder, who's to say they still don't. Once again I left a doctor's office thinking "this is BS".

For me to know for sure if the Klonopin is the cause, I have started to taper off it to see for myself. The hell with what the doctors say. It will be a while since I basically just started. My goal is to be off the Klonopin sometime in May (barring any unforeseen circumstances). Of course, it will be awhile after that before things start going back to normal.

I just wanted to let you know that yes, benzos can affect the bladder. I hope this helps. I know it is not the exact same issue.

John

[f3...]

I had this problem on and off.  Some days worse than others.  It would be like I have to go real bad but cant get it all out and left me with an aching half empty bladder, I hated this symptom.  Its been chatted about before awhile back and I can tell you that it did finally get better.  

Rob

Thank you all for your replies. I believe I'm finally a bit better. Hope it lasts. It feels like I'm having to relearn how to use the muscules.

I know the feeling pbbsmith. I too feel like I'm having to learn all over again. It's frustrating, but I definitely feel better knowing that there is hope.

As of today I am at 1mg/daily of Klonopin...down from 2mg/daily. Slowly but surely I'm on my way!!!

Thanks everyone.

John

My main thing is that I have to pee all the time- especially at night!  At night, it can be like 5-6 times even though I'm not even drinking anything.  A number of other times I realize I'm just sitting there and nothing's happening and have to concentrate to send the signal to go.  It's not a big problem, though, and it always reminds me of that episode of Beavis and Butthead where they forgot how to pee.

;)

Yes, the bladder retention-spasms are withdrawal, I had that every day while tapering off valium (diazepam)

Annie

• 1 month later...

Research Pelvic Floor Muscle Dysfunction - or the book Headache in the Pelvis

HopeToBeMeAgain (Rik), is a previously banned member of this forum (we have banned multiple accounts over the past few years). This account too in now banned. Please read the following notice about HopeToBeMeAgain: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=30724.0

Thank you.