3 years off

[Pe...]

Hi everyone; I hardly ever come on here anymore, but thought I that I needed come back and give an update to give everyone going through this nightmare hope that it does end.

As of Feb.12th, it's been 3 years since I stopped taking all psych drugs. I was put on various benzos and ADs in 2006 due to stress and anxiety; I went through the most horrible, indescribable hell, and I'm here to tell you I survived. It's taken me all of this time to get close to being fully recovered, but I am very close. I only have a few symptoms left, which are very mild in comparison to what they were even a year ago. It's been several months since I've had a flareup, so I hope this is pretty much it. The only things still troubling me are some anxiety, insomnia, mild tinnitus, minor numb patches, the odd wierd thought. But compared to before, this is nothing.

Over the last year I've relocated to another town, got a new job, moved four times. I don't think the stress from this helped my recovery, but I did it. I recently got a promotion which gets me off shift work, and is more challenging. I've been able to handle all of this; it was far from easy, but I forced myself and knew instinctively that it was the right thing to do.

The thing that helped me the most was distraction, distraction, distraction. You have to distract your mind any way you can. And never give up; never stop believing that you will get through it. Because you will. It might take 6 months, 2 years, 3 years or longer, but you will get better. The great truth that you will keep hearing is that time is the only thing that will cure the withdrawal syndrome. Keeping away from stressful situations as much as you can, watching what you eat and drink, trying to relax, and coming to these forums will go a long way to making the time pass less painfully.

To those of you going through the worst of it, hang in there. You are much stronger than you know. You WILL get through it. Peter.

Thank you Pedro, I'm happy you're feeling so much better.  Success stories are important, so thank you for telling us yours!  :thumbsup:

Thank you Pedro - although I hate it that you are 3 years out and still have symptoms, I am so glad that you wrote and gave us all some hope.....that is what we need here on this site - pure plain HOPE!!!!!  I get low on it often so thank you for helping me to keep hanging on.

Hoping2BFree

Congrats Pedro, so happy you are feeling better. Thank you for sharing your story and giving others hope, that things do get better. Enjoy your life!!!  :smitten:

Hi Pedro,

Thank you so much for coming back with an update.  I needed to hear that this morning......having a small pity party for myself.  I am just about 31 months off the benzos and still looking forward to healing.  What a ride, ha?  You gave me so much hope today.

Congratulations for hanging tough and I hope your remaining symptoms leave you real soon.

Love,

Patty  xo

Hello Pedro,

Thank you so much for taking the time to come back (at 3 years off!) to share your success story.

I needed to hear this today.

~Leena

Hi Pedro:

Thanks for coming back and posting.  These success stories mean so much for people who are still struggling.

ntw