Anti-Depressants: Might they help w/ the anxiety?

[Zu...]

Hello-

I'm abut 7 weeks out:  experiencing a lot of depression and of course, anxiety through the roof.  Having a really hard time and just found out that we are moving out of state in 4 months - freaking out about how I'm going to handle this.  The more anxiety, the more depression.   I'm  thinking about going back on an anti-depressant but I'm really scared - just got off of one right before Ativan taper.   For anyone who has been on an AD during W/D, did it help with the anxiety?  I know the first few weeks of an AD will rev up symptoms, but after that, do you think it helped?

If an AD helped you during W/D, how did it help?  (ie. less depression?, more motivation?  less anxiety?  less looping thoughts?).  Thanks - any experiences would be helpful.

Good question.  I'm currently taking lexapro 20mgs a day, and its not working at all.  Are there any better ones or should I stop the Lexapro all together? 

if you had pre benzo anxiety it night help i think;

if not, the benzo thing by most accounts seems resistant to any drug treatment for w/d symptoms caused by it,

if there was a sure fire answer or fix everyone would tell you. regrets, tried them,RA

(using doxepin lightly for sleep when totally beat.)

I started taking Buspar for the anxiety, and it has helped as far as the physical symptoms, but I almost feel I'm trading one problem for another. Its sort of deciding which is the lesser of the two evils lol. I'm currently taking 7.5mg twice a day. I've read some interesting things, but I have to make a disclaimer as I cannot remember where I read these things so I cannot cite my sources. that you should not take what im saying as fact, ect ect. I read that in our fear centers, there are two chances for the fear response to be inhibited: once by Gaba, and secondly by Serotonin. The serotonin can block the response to adrenaline, which can help with anxiety symptoms. However, in my experience, it doesnt help with the fear that you initially get.

Secondly, and I can cite this, according to wikipedia, 5-HT1 receptor activation inhibits norepinephrine release (can't find the wiki entry and running short on time at the moment)

Thirdly, according to the paxilprogress website, people there have cited studies that SSRI/SNRI has an effect on the glutimate system, and that is why people coming off of SSRI's can have a lot of the same problems as us coming off of benzo's.

Dr Ashton says not to use Buspar, but she does not state why, whether its ineffective for other withdrawl symptoms or makes them worse, I have no clue.

I'm thinking of coming off the buspar because of this, perhaps someone who knows more can shed light on this. We'll see. I agree with the sentiment that if you are on the verge of commiting suicide, barring some pharmacoligical intervention, then you should start on an AD. Otherwise, try and get through it if you can, you are still early in your withdrawl. I  had bad symptoms up until about month 2 and they a lot of them quickly went away, except for this stupid chest pressure and heart palps. Only you know how you feel and what you can and can't deal with, so the ultimate decision is up to you. I tried Buspar because im still trying to function in a relationship knowing that if I don't function, I will be left most likely. Its hard to focus on someone else when all of your attention is on how crummy your feeling lol. I dont really have the chest pressure now except mornings, but now im irritable and tired and just feel blah. Like i said, lesser of the two evils lol. Take care, let us know what you decide

Thanks for your replies.  After speaking with my p-doc, I have decided to go on Zoloft.  The depression is pretty bad and I know that I was clinically depressed and being treated for that before the benzo and previous A/D.  To help minimize some of the initial symptoms when starting an AD, we're starting out on a very small amount of Zoloft (12.5) and will slowly increase until I find the depression lifting some.  Cross fingers.  I'm only on Day 2 of Zoloft, and so far, feel more anxiety.  To be expected, I guess. 

Btw, new p-doc told me that I really shouldn't be experiencing symptoms of Ativan w/d anymore!  :tickedoff:  It told him to read the accounts of everyone here and to take a look at the Ashton Manual. 

My doctor said the exact same thing! Said maybe 8 weeks maximum but doubts it. I tried zoloft and it skyrocketed my anxiety, but I was going through interdose withdrawl and didn't realize it so that's why it was so bad. I hope it helps. Also I was started at 50mg so yea lol

I was able to determine that remeron cause me interdose withdrawals during the day with rebound anxiety.  Going off of remeron was almost the same as going off benzos, almost identical.  I did not have anxiety before benzos.  It's supposed to be good for anxiety...

I am in same boat..dr wants me on ssri....  I am not majorly depressed though...I should be....  its scary to try another drug when we see what benzos do !!  :idiot:  I dont always have anxiety though...so i dont get it ??? 

Btw, new p-doc told me that I really shouldn't be experiencing symptoms of Ativan w/d anymore!   :tickedoff:   It told him to read the accounts of everyone here and to take a look at the Ashton Manual. 

:thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on with the SSRI  :)  Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you.  Dr. has me starting very slowly with 12.5mg of Zoloft, knowing that I'm super sensitive right now (50 mg is the starting therapeutic dose).  So far, only on Day 5 of 12.5 and I feel that it has revved up anxiety symptoms.  However, I do feel like I have more energy (probably just the anxiety, though). 

We're planning on upping 12.5 mg every 2 weeks.  If the I'm not adjusting well, then we'll go slower.  Or perhaps, if I don't notice any "revving", maybe we'll go to a higher dose.  But right now, I know that I'm super sensitive to everything and I'll probably have to take it very slow with zoloft.  Ugh.  Cross fingers.