New member Jhouhah Intro

[jh...]

Hi  ;D  I have been taking benzo's since 1998 starting with xanax and more recently my prescription is for 1mg Ativan.  I am prescribed it for Anxiety Disorder, but my doctor required me to stop taking them when I switched from Methadone to Suboxone (I take 24mg/day). I just stopped taking them... I wasn't taking them every day anyway because I knew how dangerous they can be. 

After a couple days I started having problems with my arms and legs feeling heavy, and antsy.  It reminded me of one of the symptoms of opiate withdrawal and the sensation was only fueling my anxiety. Since then I've noticed if I take even 1/4 mg of Ativan I get relief.  So here I am.  Am I right?  Does this sound like benzo withdrawal or is it something else?

Hello and welcome to BB Jhouhah! Those symptoms do sound like benzo withdrawal but they could also be caused by some of the other meds you are taking as well. How often were you taking the Ativan? You can become dependant to benzos even if you do not take them every day, it is not unheard of if you are still taking them often enough. Are you looking to become benzo free now? We can help you plan a taper. Most people find that cutting no more then 10% of their dose every 1-2 weeks works for them as a guideline. Let us know what questions you may have, we are here to help.

The last couple of weeks before I was told not to take them I was taking them more days than not and I would take 1/2mg at a time up to 4 x day.  It was actually my husband that pointed out yesterday, when I was getting so frustrated with how I was feeling, that it was possible due to being off the benzo.

I would like to taper off.  I have 19 more 1mg Ativans to use for that and would welcome any/all advice and assistance!

I only took the Ativan as needed and didn't like how tired I got afterward so I still don't want to take it now unless I have to, is there anything other than benzo that can help get you off them?  Also should I just continue with taking as little as possible... I don't know if eventually I won't need it or if I'm fueling the fire.  I was off for a couple years after taking Xanax for 5 years and had no problem so this is all new to me.

Hi Jhouhah,

If you were taking on the average of 2 mgs a day, you'll need to decide what your starting dose should be for your taper, will it be 1 mg, 1.5 or 2?  Whatever you decide, you'll need to stay on that dose for a few days, then start your taper.  Depending on the size pills you have, we'll probably suggest you cut your pill in half or quarters and reduce by a quarter or half every week or two. 

You're going to need more than 19 pills in order to do a safe, slow taper, can you get more from your Dr?

Pam

Hi. Erratic use of a benzo can cause all sorts of withdrawal.  Even benzo use for a couple weeks, even if not used every day, can build up a dependency.  I only used valium for a 3 week trip and then stopped when I got back and ended up in the ER a few weeks later.  These are powerful meds.  As far as tapering off, it would best be done over several months.  Can you acquire a refill of your prescription?

Vertigo

My doc doesn't want me on it with my other meds but that was before I started having trouble so I will talk to him.  In the meantime I am taking only 1/4 twice a day and seem to be able to tolerate it.  I feel like a wuss, especially considering how much worse it could be, but with the anxiety I already have it is unbearable at times.

Thanks guys.

There's no such thing as a wuss when it comes to benzo withdrawal. ;)

I'm glad you feel stabilized on the .5 mg, but if the withdrawal becomes unbearable, you may need to make a dose correction to at least 1 before you start your taper (as Pamster suggested).  When will you see your doctor about obtaining more pills so you can do a slow, safe taper?

Let us know how we can help. :)