UTI Antibotics Not to take

[Fr...]

I'm seeing the doc tomorrow morning as I have a UTI. I'm going to have to take antibotics and afraid of the bad ones for benzo withdrawal. What do I have to tell him that I can't take?

I never get things like this and I don't think it's a withdrawal thing. I used bubble bath last week, something that I never do and will never do again.

Frannie

Thank you very much. I think Cipro is what they like to give and I don't want to get any sicker. This is not my lucky week but next week, I plan on winning the lotto, being completely well and on top of the world.  ;)

Frannie

The following is a list of quinolone antibiotics. The generic name is first, followed by brand names and possibly notes.

Ciprofloxacin: Ciproxin, Cipro, Baycip, Centraxal, Ciflox, Ciplox, Ciprolet, Cyprobay, Quintor, Ciloxan (eye drops)

Enoxacin: Pentrex (removed from the market by the manufacturer)

Gatifloxacin: Tequin, Gaity

Gemifloxacin: (USFDA refused approval of this drug in 2001)

Grepafloxacin: Raxar (removed from the market in 1999 due to serious cardiac events “where a casual relationship with Rexar could not be excluded)

Levofloxacin: Levaquin, Tavanic (is on the UK Medicines Control Agency’s ‘Black Triangle List’, which means it is under intensive surveillance)

Lomefloxacin: Lomaday, Maxaquin

Mosifloxacin: Avelox

Norfloxacin: Noroxin, Amicrobin, Anquin, Baccidal, Barazan, Biofloxin, Floxenor, Fulgram, Janacin, Lexinor, Norilet, Norofin, Norxacin, Orixacin, Oroflox, Urinox, Zoroxin

Ofloxacin: Floxin, Ocuflox Ophthalmic (eye drops)

Perfloxacin: Perti (removed from the market due to toxicity problems)

Sparfloxacin: Sparflo, Zagam (removed from the market due to severe toxicity problems)

Temafloxacin: Omniflox (removed from the market due to severe liver and renal damage)

Trovafloxacin: Trovan (removed from the market due to toxicity problems)

Cipro is the reason why I ended up on Lorazepam and Prozac.  I took Cipro for 2 months.  It is a horrible drug.  It not only caused mental pain, but physical(tendon ruptures) as well.  I was taking Cipro, Lorazepam, and Prozac at the same time(great combo of drugs, huh?) for a while......I told my new doc I will NEVER take anything from the Quinoline family again.  She understood.(without me saying anything, she mentioned the dangers Cipro poses to tendons......if these drugs can cause more harm than good......why are they still being prescribed!?!?!?)

Good Luck! 

Lowfight, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. If it hadn't of been for this site I would probably be taking something like that today. My doctor took the list that I gave him and was going to give me penicillin and decided to send me to the hospital for testing tomorrow. I can go into his office at anytime if I get sicker. He said I don't want to make you sicker with antibiotics until we see what's what. (I did tell him that I felt better today and perhaps my body is fighting it off on it's own.

Frannie

I have fought UTI's for years and been on more antibiotics than I can count.

I was given a natural supplements called "Cranberry Complex" from Standard Process which I get from my chiropractor. It's not like any cranberry supplement, this stuff is a lifesaver! Just this past Saturday I woke up and went to the bathroom and was in so much pain it was nuts, I  took 2 that day, 2 the next and 1 a day ever since and I am cleared up!

The key is to catch it early, as soon as you notice any SX, take the Cranberry Complex!

Hi Frannie,

You may have seen this post on Ginger's thread...

I had definite problems with macrobid, which I think is sometimes prescribed for UTI's.

Based upon my experience, I would sure try to avoid this one.  The last post on my blog details my experience, as Lily had asked me about it.

Love,

Leena

I have fought UTI's for years and been on more antibiotics than I can count.

I was given a natural supplements called "Cranberry Complex" from Standard Process which I get from my chiropractor. It's not like any cranberry supplement, this stuff is a lifesaver! Just this past Saturday I woke up and went to the bathroom and was in so much pain it was nuts, I  took 2 that day, 2 the next and 1 a day ever since and I am cleared up!

The key is to catch it early, as soon as you notice any SX, take the Cranberry Complex!

Sunny, Thank you for the information. I've been drinking cranberry juice the last few days. I'd have to get into the city to get this at the health food store to get this. I'm not feeling the best, I have a headache, UTI, Thyroid is out of whack and I'm reducing my medication plus acid reflux. I know I shouldn't have eaten that cheese for breakfast.

I'm waiting to hear from my doctor to see how bad it is. I don't remember ever having a UTI before but my sister gets them constantly so I knew what was going on.

Frannie

Hi Frannie,

You may have seen this post on Ginger's thread...

I had definite problems with macrobid, which I think is sometimes prescribed for UTI's.

Based upon my experience, I would sure try to avoid this one.  The last post on my blog details my experience, as Lily had asked me about it.

Love,

Leena

Hi Leena, Thank you for the information. I was talking to my sister on the phone yesterday and that's what she said she was on and it didn't work.

While I was talking my doctor's receptionist called and said he is phoning in Septa for me. She was pretty sure that's how it was spelled.

Thank you everybody for all the input. I'm so grateful.

Frannie

The doctor ordered the generic form of Septra for me: Sulfatrim-Ds 800/160, two pills a day for 7 days and it was horrible. I thought it was me and was so sick that I didn't look it up until the last day that I was on it and found a site where a lot of people had sent in emails. Fever, chills pain in stomach and muscles, just like I had. I finished taking it on Wednesday and two days later still not well.

Sunny, I'm called our health food store and going to get a cranberry pill with probiotic in it. Thank you for the information. I can't get the cranberry complex here but will try this. I've been mixing my cranberry juice with ginger ale and the lady told me that I was feeding my infection with sugar. I'll learn!

Frannie

So sorry about the Septra making you so sick. If the illness doesn't kill you the cure will!

Chiropractors and naturopaths often carry the Standard Process Cranberry Complex. Might try calling around, it's much much stronger than a regular cranberry pill and has other stuff in it that helps fight UTI's. You can also order it on the Internet, just GOOGLE "Purchase Standard Process Cranberry Complex" and something should come up. I get it from my naturopath. I rarely suggest or "promote" anything, but that stuff has just been amazing for me. It stopped the cycle of constant UTI's.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Sunny, I will call around. There is a new naturpath here and she might have it. I went to see the only other one and he was a royal rip off! He told me that he knew all about SSRI withdrawal and then proceeded to tell me that he was going to take me off all my medication. I would have lost my mind!  ::)  I googled him and found out that he was kicked out of the States!

Frannie