Author Topic: do all withdrawlers have anxiety?  (Read 3279 times)

[Buddie]

Re: do all withdrawlers have anxiety?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 04:50:52 am »
Hi,

I never had anxiety prior to benzos, nor post benzos.

I can tell you it is one of the most common symptoms and from what I have seen a lot of people do have it, and often it can be hard to distinguish between preexisting anxiety and "regular" benzo withdrawal anxiety. I agree with the others that stated, in time, it will diminish.

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 03:06:01 pm »
Hi Tanya,
I noticed that you are having trouble getting into your painting.  I am having the same trouble as well.  I spend most of my time exercising now and I suppose that is probably for the best and the art will come back to me at some later time.  I am also doing yoga and lots of it.  I am also in NM!  Such a beautiful place.  I found someone to hike with and we go out everyday possible.  I hope that your anxiety is lessening.  It comes and goes for me.  The best thing that I can think of is to just keep pushing forward, one day at a time, and keep in mind that we are healing in every moment.

Have a great, blue sky, new mexico day!!!   :thumbsup:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:45:25 pm »
Hi Tanya. I hear ya about not getting too wigged out or sweatin the small stuff once you get into your forties.  Seems like there are so many more stresses as you get older, especially if you have kids and aging parents... Sorry, don't mean to complain but it can get overwhelming sometimes. It helps to try and stay focused on the bigger picture.  Yes, I do try to meditate before bed and when I wake up.  It's not a formal practice, just a mindfulness mentality for lack of a better word. I try to accept whatever comes and focus on the breath or sometimes I try some other exercises that I've read about.  I used to work with autistic kids by the way. If you're not familiar with the social thinking website, check it out or PM me if you want more info.  There's a lot of great info on social language.   We were in Santa Fe last summer for a couple days on our drive out to California.  Pretty country although the elevation got to my wife the first day.  Gotta remember to stay hydrated :) .  Interesting point to question whether meditation is in fact a form of escape from anxiety.  I think as long as you are aware of that thought, sit back and observe, try not to judge it and get back to your breath, then it's not an escape.  It can be paradoxical if one is insisting on using meditation "to relax".  Often, the end result may be relaxation but I think it ought not be the main focus.  Well, that's my two cents for the day.

Best wishes,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »
[...],
Such a small world. Yes, we follow the social thinking guide for autism by Michelle Garcia Winner. She is a brilliant person! Fortunately the people at my daughters' school follow it as well. She is old enough to start to understand that she is different, and all those unthinkables help give her some context.
I worry about her anxiety as she becomes more aware of her differences and life becomes more demanding of her. So this journey gives me some insight on how to help her with that if it becomes a problem. I mean how I am learning to deal with anxiety, and how to recognize it as well.
I don't use meditation to relax, but that is usually what happens. Sometimes I find focusing on my breathing to be counter productive when I am experiencing the 'breathless' symptom. When that happens, I focus on sounds that come to my ears. This works better with ambient sounds and not what my daughter is watching on TV  ;)
Anyways, Thanks for the heads up about social thinking, it is definitely something to spread the word about.
-Tanya

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »
Hi Tanya.  Be sure to catch this Tuesday's episode of Parenthood.  It is going to be about talking about their son who has Aspergers and didn't know it.  Maybe you already watch it?  Michele is a great teacher.  She is one of those who "gets it". Yes, almost all kids with learning disabilities or on the spectrum have to deal with anxiety. No doubt, your own journey with anxiety and benzos may help you with your relationship with your daughter as well :thumbsup:.  Hope you have a nice rest of the weekend.

Best,

[...]  

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 02:01:06 am »
I started Klonopin because I had anxiety and anxiety attacks. The anxiety I feel now is constant and for no reason whatsoever. Now I can be just washing dishes, plucking my eyebrows,  or picking my nose (  :D  )and I feel ridiculous intense anxiety!  This has to be benzo withdrawal induced, this is not normal, this is not what I felt before.

If I thought for one second that this is just me off benzos, I would lose my mind!

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »
I started Klonopin because I had anxiety and anxiety attacks. The anxiety I feel now is constant and for no reason whatsoever. Now I can be just washing dishes, plucking my eyebrows,  or picking my nose (  :D  )and I feel ridiculous intense anxiety!  This has to be benzo withdrawal induced, this is not normal, this is not what I felt before.If I thought for one second that this is just me off benzos, I would lose my mind!

Hi [...].  I hear ya. I think at not even six months post taper, it is very likely that your current anxiety will diminish some with time.  In my case, being over a year post taper, I wonder sometimes whether this is still "withdrawal"?  Maybe more likely, its the CNS still healing, still over sensitive after a couple years of having a benzo cover up emotions and blocking GABA and then a ten month taper which was pretty aggravating to have swings up and down three times a month after each cut, then I got Shingles seven weeks after my taper was done and that ended a year ago.  It was all very stressful and a kind of onslaught to my nervous system as it can be for many here.  I keep reading around forum that 6 months to 18 months seems to be a range of "normal" healing.  I guess it's reassuring given I'm at 15 months post taper now and 12 months post Shingles. I've seen much progress in the last year despite a couple setbacks when stressful situations were pretty high.  Last month was a good test after we got a new puppy who was not housebroken and the dog ended up having quite a few health problems which was added stress for me and the family.  That seemed to test the system and while I would not say it was a "failure", it did tell me that I'm still not quite where I was before benzos and I do believe my CNS is still in a healing mode.

Best,

[...] (no more)

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 05:45:32 pm »
Thanks [...] (no more) for those encouraging words, especially today and I got a horrible nights sleep and feel so anxious today i can barely function.  :'(

Many have told me months 3-6 were some of the hardest. I do hope that at my 6th month off I noticed a marked decrease in the insane anxiety. My pulse is fast and hard and I do feel like I'm never going to heal sometimes. But, I know that is not rational, it's just emotional, I'm just super tired today and so ready to be well again.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 07:48:21 pm »
Hey [...],

Things eased up for me greatly at the 6th month mark.  The anxiety I had would hit me from the time that I woke up in the morning until about Noon.  I rarely  had anxiety in the evening or at night.  My anxiety did kick up a notch when I experienced hormonal fluctuations.  As I can remember, my anxiety totally disappeared after the 12 month mark.  On occasion, I'll feel a twinge of anxiety, but I just ignore it and in a couple of minutes it is gone.  You will get relief from anxiety in time.  Hang in there. 

Stay the course.
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:22 pm »
I definitely see a correlation between horomones and anxiety in withdrawal!  I am really hanging on to the hope that 6 months seems to be a turning point for a lot of people. Thanks retire!

Tanya, I read your signature line...You were only on benzos 2 weeks and then tapered over another 8 days? And you are obviously suffering. I will never stop being amazed at the power and destructiveness of these pills!  May I ask what kind of antibiotic you were taking that you had the reaction too? What it a quinolone?