withdrawl

[Re...]

You posted this on the Anxiety board, Red. Are you having trouble figuring out the different boards?  There's a description of the purpose of each of them under their names on the main forum page. 

Thanks!  I am afraid of convulsions, altho I've never had one, I know they can come without warning.  Anxiety has been a problem for me for years, hence the addictions.  Red Gibson

Hello Red,

As long as you do a slow taper the risk of convulsions(seizure) is less. Try not to worry about those.

Did you start a taper yet?

I am sure that the reason I got hooked on the downer class of drugs (narcotics, tranquilizers) rather than the "go fast" class i.e. speed and coke and what-not, even the enormous quantity of beer starting at age 13 was a direct consequence of anxiety.  I was painfully shy, more than your "average" 13 year old, and smoking cigarettes and drinking beer was a great relief to me... for a while.  Then alcohol became a bigger prob for me than shyness.  I reckon.  I don't know how my life would have turned out.  Well, that's not true.  The alcohol would have killed me before I reached 30.  Of this I am sure.  Maybe I shouldn't say this, but those years of Percodan use saved my life ( and left me with a nearly intractable pharmeceutacal habit.  I really, truly believe I can kick a 30 year methadone habit, if I can just get around these benzos.  I'm going to work up a schedule for the pills, abide by it and ever so slowly, taper.  I'm 62 now and I can't waste time.  The future is now., and I'm ready.  Thanks for accepting me in your group.  Red Gibson