Withdrawal from Xanax Cold Turkey ?'s

[...]

Hi Everybody,

I recently quit xanax cold turkey one month ago.  I have been using xanax off and on for about 6-7 years and within the last month I had a major seizure.  I initially started using xanax to cope with a high stress sales job but since then the xanax really just messed up my life personally and professionally.  I was getting it prescribed but then I developed a tolerance and started abusing it and was afraid to tell my doctor so I started getting some from friends as well. 

Symptoms I have been feeling include:

Suicidal thoughts

Extreme anxiety & panic

fatigue

ADD

Mental fog

(I do seem to have some windows here and there when I think I am about to pull out of it but I haven't yet:(

I found this site and it has been really helpful to know that I am not going crazy and other people are dealing with the same thing.  I know cold turkey is not the best way to go but I feel like I have gotten through the roughest patch already and would like to know any suggestions that anybody has.  I really appreciate it:)

Hi and welcome to BenzoBuddies Andy!

I'm very glad you found us.

Yeah, cold turkey is very rough.  The symptoms you list are common, and as you mentioned many members here can relate.

You are definitely not alone.

Did you seek medical attention after your seizure?

Please ask any questions and let us know how we can help.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to BB  :)  And congrats on being benzo free!

You mentioned that you have been benzo free for over a month now, so are you starting to feel a tad more stable? 

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, Andy.

That seizure must have been very scary but I think you are probably right about the worst being behind you now.  And even those who taper off, as I did, get a wide variety of withdrawal symptoms.  You'll probably find that some leave and new ones take their place as your central nervous system heals itself.  Are you familiar with The Ashton Manual?  There's a lot of good information there about benzo withdrawal symptoms.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

thank you for all the replies :)

I have been getting more stable but it definitely comes in waves.  I have been taking some vitamins such as:  omega 3, b-complex, multivitamin, and a whey protein shake. 

I am trying to look at the silver lining because I was miserable in my old sales job and if this didn't happen I don't know if I would of made a sudden career change.  I am looking to enroll in a community college and major in automotive technology with a specialization in working for general motors dealerships. 

How long does it typically take to conquer this demon on my back?  I feel like I have come a long way in just a month but definitely not 100% more like 60%

How long does it typically take to conquer this demon on my back?  I feel like I have come a long way in just a month but definitely not 100% more like 60%

Hi Andy.

Unfortunately it can take some time.  Some members here find that it can take many months, or even up to a year to get back to 100%.

However, it's important to remember that everyone is different.  It sounds like you have come a long way in just one month's time.

That's a very good sign :)

How long does it typically take to conquer this demon on my back?  I feel like I have come a long way in just a month but definitely not 100% more like 60%

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling more stable  :thumbsup:

With regards to how long it takes, Professor Ashton states that it can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months to heal.  Some members take less time and some take longer, but just know that your body is healing each & every day.

thanks so much and I wish I would of known this about this medication before I decided to start taking it.  I guess it is another life lesson that will only make us stronger.  Thanks so much everyone for all your support. 

Hi Andy,

You might want to take a look around the Alternative Therapies and Supplements board to see what others have to say about what you're taking.  Often vitamins and other things that normally wouldn't bother us, do while in withdrawal. 

I quit cold turkey too, welcome.

Pam

Hello and welcome to BB. I am glad to hear you are feeling somewhat better. Things will get even better with more time, so hang in there. Let us know what questions you may have, we are here to help.

Hello Andy,

I also did a Cold Turkey. Although it was rough, everything has improved for me, as they will for you.

Ask questions and research everything, is the best way to help you understand what's happening to your body and mind.

Welcome to BB's

Mike

Thanks Mike

The cold turkey has definitely been a roller coaster.  I am starting school in August (Automotive Technology for GM) and I am hoping I can be somewhat near recovered by then.  I have been forcing myself to go out into public even if I have extreme anxiety and panic for no reason either.  This whole ordeal started when a coworker gave me a xanax and it helped with the overwhelming amount of stress in my previous sales job.  From there I was prescribed klonopin but before long it didn't do the job and I started getting some on the street because I was embarrassed to tell my doctor what was going on.  I was in denial about the whole thing and this put a strain on my marriage.  Luckily my wife is an amazing woman and is helping me through this horrible time in life.  I know there is great thing to come and some major soul searching.  I hope to get back to my old stronger self because this drug makes me feel weak ie the anxiety, panic feelings that are constant. 

Sorry I am rambling I just needed to talk a bit about this crap and get it off my chest.  Hope all is well

Thanks

Sorry I am rambling I just needed to talk a bit about this crap and get it off my chest.  Hope all is well

Not a problem - that's what we're here for :)

How wonderful that your wife is being supportive. :yippee:  Many of us have found that our spouses were not supportive because they simply could not understand what we were experiencing.  That's what makes BenzoBuddies so special: everybody here understands exactly what we're going through.  This place was truly a life saver for me.

I'm sure you're looking forward to starting school in August - how exciting! I would be a career student if I had my druthers.http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/befje/smileys0/bf-schoolsmiley.gif

We're glad you found us and as others have said, let us know how we can help.

I wanted to get an opinion on whether I should reinstate (stabalize) or continue on the path I have already taken.  I quit cold turkey 5 weeks ago and the first few weeks was hell but things have gotten somewhat better since then.  I still have the brain fog, extreme anxiety and panic.  Is it easier to taper or should I just ride it out since I already have the worst part of the withdrawal out of the way. 

Hi Andy,

I quit cold turkey too, I didn't realize the drug needs to be tapered.  But I was abusing it too, and now know that there was no way I could have tapered, I'd have been reaching for it to take the pain away.  I'd say you're ahead of the game, you quit, you're 5 weeks out and on your way to healing, keep going in that direction.

It's often a mixed bag of results when someone reinstates this far out, most people who do it hit tolerance quickly and must begin to taper right away.  It's often been seen too, that doing this multiple times means it gets more difficult each time.  If it were me, I'd not want to live one minute of the past 5 weeks over again, so that means pressing forward.

Pam

Andy, I definately agree with Pam.  Some members who have reinstated had a harder time with withdrawals.  Of course, there are other members who may disagree about reinstating.  You have gotten through the worst of it although there will be some rough times ahead with new symptoms appearing and others going away.  It would be the same way with reinstating.  A big pat on the back to you, Andy.

Patty  xo

Hi Andy. :)

Just my personal opinion, but if I had made it 5 weeks, I think I would plough on ahead and not reinstate. 5 weeks is like a gazillion years in benzo withdrawal. :D

Of course, we will support you in whatever you decide to do. We're here for you, friend, so let us know how we can help.

Yeah I think I am just going to stick it out and kick this beast in the butt

I guess one way to look at this scenario is if we can handle this we can handle anything that life throws at us.

I have been keeping myself occupied on my spare time fixing up our house we bought last year.  It is a fixer upper on a great piece of property (1.25acres) in Sanford, FL.  I am currently concentrating on remodeling the kitchen and bathroom.  This house is my pride and joy and hope to get everything finished before I head back to school in August.  I feel like I have so many things going for me but I can't appreciate it.  If I can get my head together things would get back on the right path again. 

Thanks for the support everyone:)

What kept me going through my cold turkey experience was doing projects around my house and my yard.  I couldn't sit still, relax or enjoy life, so I just kept working.  I got so much done that year it was amazing, but I didn't enjoy any of it, it was just something I had to do to keep my sanity. 

Don't worry, as time goes on your good feelings will return, this process robs us of them, but it's not permanent.  And you're right, after living through this, nothing life dishes out has been as bad.