GABA progesterone and PMS

[Ta...]

Hey there,

I guess this topic is more for the ladies...

Anyways, I've been having a few bad days (worse than my more recent setbacks). I think it is because my menstrual cycle is out of whack. I finally got my period today, 4 days late and after over a week of cramps. So I am hoping that my symptoms will start to go back to the way they were a few days ago, which was pretty close to 90% recovered.

So I started looking into the connection between PMS and worse s/x, and found this article;

http://www.benzosupport.org/Hormones%20and%20benzo%20diazepines.htm

"Progesterone, in both men and women, breaks down into allopregnanolone, which enhances the sedative effects of GABA, although precisely how is unknown. But immediately after pregnancy, and right before the onset of menstruation, progesterone levels plunge, leading to a corresponding drop in the metabolite allopregnanolone. Without allopregnanolone to come to the GABA receptor's defence, the alpha-4 molecule gains the upper hand, hindering GABA's efficacy and leading to all the unpleasant symptoms associated with PMS, postpartum mood swings, and acute sedative withdrawal. "

As if it wasn't hard enough already!

Well this too shall pass...

-Tanya

• 8 years later...

Hey there,

I guess this topic is more for the ladies...

Anyways, I've been having a few bad days (worse than my more recent setbacks). I think it is because my menstrual cycle is out of whack. I finally got my period today, 4 days late and after over a week of cramps. So I am hoping that my symptoms will start to go back to the way they were a few days ago, which was pretty close to 90% recovered.

So I started looking into the connection between PMS and worse s/x, and found this article;

http://www.benzosupport.org/Hormones%20and%20benzo%20diazepines.htm

"Progesterone, in both men and women, breaks down into allopregnanolone, which enhances the sedative effects of GABA, although precisely how is unknown. But immediately after pregnancy, and right before the onset of menstruation, progesterone levels plunge, leading to a corresponding drop in the metabolite allopregnanolone. Without allopregnanolone to come to the GABA receptor's defence, the alpha-4 molecule gains the upper hand, hindering GABA's efficacy and leading to all the unpleasant symptoms associated with PMS, postpartum mood swings, and acute sedative withdrawal. "

As if it wasn't hard enough already!

Well this too shall pass...

-Tanya

Hi,

You are right on target.  Neurosteroids are potent neuromodulators.  Some are positive modulators and some are negative modulators, and some act primarily on (modulate) inhibitory receptors (like GABAaRs) and others on excitatory receptors (like NMDARs).  Allopregnanolone is considered a potent neurosteroid.

Thanks for your response. I don't really understand all that. I wish there was something you could do to feel better in this time. I can't believe it gets worse with pms.

• 3 weeks later...
I’m in the same boat. I was doing so much better in the past week with mood, anxiety, sleep, muscle aches...tomorrow I’m expecting my period(first time since acute withdrawal) and I started feeling almost back down to where I was 2-3 weeks ago, except for muscle aches (thank goodness at least for that). I hope it’s just a matter of hormones levelling off again! I know it’s been a while for you guys now, so I wonder if your symptoms improved!

I’m protracted and still get this. Not currently feeling too well! Nausea too. I know there is a support thread somewhere in the support groups, and I’m on it. Appreciate the article, thank you.