The TORTOISE won the race!

[wa...]

Hi, All. I just found your board, and thought I'd share my success story with you

. I was given .5 mg. of clonazepam for 'the jitters" after months of caring for my ailing parents. I had never heard of it but my GP said, "It's a tiny dose." Two plus years later, after having cut down to half dose while I was living in Mexico (having no idea it was a benzo or what I was dealing with), I ended up upping the dose again during a crisis, and hit the tolerance wall 2 weeks later. I figured out pretty quickly what the problem was, but my GP was on vacation for two weeks. When he returned, he didn't want to deal with me but referred me to a pdoc. She said she understood that I wanted off of it, but first I needed more. My plan was to make sure I had a supply for a very slow taper (I can't even handle decaf coffee or tea so I knew I was very sensitive). So I gladly accepted the updose to .5 three x a day, a 50% increase, and then 2 weeks later, I began a very very slow taper. I had the support of someone from another board who prepared my taper chart, and stayed with me to answer questions. Invaluable!!!

I started by mashing each .5 pill with my mortar and pestle, then putting it in 250 ml. of water, and removing 1 ml. from each dose. I kept it at that rate until I was down to .5 a day, and then slowed it down even more. I know this is really really slow, but being in charge of my own taper and not being hassled by how slow it was was truly a godsend. And my pdoc didn't know and just was happy to keep me supplied. She did give me a prescription for Cerefolin NAC (an expensive vitamin compound), and I think it helped me a lot.

I took 17 months to get off of it, but other than the usual issues from being on a benzo (spacy, not able to feel much one way or the other, etc.), I continued to function well, even making during that time period at least 2 round trips from Florida to the Yucatan by car, and other car trips, doing all the driving. My first few months off, I had little energy, and I had gained 20 lbs., but that weight is now coming off now, and I'm feeling great. My adult children told me WAY TO GO!!  :)

Welcome waytogo,

Thank you for sharing your story. How wonderful that you are feeling so well and allowed yourself the time to taper in a way that was perfect for you. I too am working off the weight that comes with withdrawal. I was constantly eating, somehow it made me feel better. looking forward to hearing more from you.

All my best,

birdie

Thanks, Birdiegirl. I see that my Subject line doesn't make sense. I was, of course, the tortoise, not the hare. I guess I was more nervous about posting on a new board than I realized. ;)

Waytogo  -- thanks for sharing your success with your tapering.  You did so well with gleaming your info and finding the best way to do it for yourself. 

I declare you to be a M.D. for benzo taper successes! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  You should open up your own clinic.

Kudos to you,

Rocko

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks, All, and may you all be well soon. Slow, slow, slow was sure the operative word for me. Remember, when you eat, eat protein! It seemed to help calm my shakies quite a bit.javascript:void(0);

• 2 weeks later...