Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

4 Months off Xanax - after taking 2mg a day for three years

[To...]

Hello,

It’s been about four months since I took my last dose. I was prescribed Xanax for my crippling anxiety. Since March, it has been a day by day thing. As of now I still feel some protracted withdrawal symptoms. The ones lingering now are acid reflux, anxiety, and occasional panic attack (the degree of these are no where as bad as the first couple of months). I wonder how other buddies have coped with the acid reflux?(one symptom that came and is not going away)

I do have to say I feel better some weeks then out of no where I feel the so called “waves”. I do not drink, smoke, and get some decent sleep (wonder what causes these “waves”)

Sometimes I wonder how long this will take. It’s starting to effect my relationships since I sometimes don’t want to do anything but be alone. Iv never had this issue before the Xanax. I would never consider myself a depressed person. Just highly anxious.

Like today I missed a planned event and feel so horrible and sad (these emotions are uncommon for me)

I just want to say thank all of you that post on here. It really helps to know I am not alone. Hopefully one day we will all feel “better”.  It seems like time and really taking care of the body is the only solution here

Tony

It’s great to hear you’re benzo free but wouldn’t it be wonderful if that meant free from symptoms?  At 4 months, you’re still very early in recovery, its normal to feel this bad for this long but I’m grateful to hear you’ve seen improvement since the very early days. 

Unfortunately you can expect to feel rotten for awhile longer yet but the symptoms should lessen as time goes by, the trouble is, you may not be able to see it so you’ll think you’re not improving, this is the lie the drug tells us.

I hope you can help your partner understand how impossible it is for you to be and act normal at this time, you’ve been injured and that injury has to heal.

We don’t know what causes waves, it can be stress, diet, emotions, medications, alcohol, there are endless ways this process messes with us. 

Maybe you could show this paper to your significant other to help them understand this isn’t something we can snap out of, it takes time to recover. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=279493.0