Sunset anxiety

[Ta...]

Hey there,

I have a pretty good handle on the 'Morning Anxiety'. I'm able to drink some tea with caffeine which helps, and sometimes put on some classical music.

I try to eat as soon as I get up too.

But I often find that now as the sun sets, my mood plummets, anxiety symptoms increase til after dinner. I used to enjoy sunsets, but now...

does anyone else get this?

Any ideas on how to help this? I don't want to resort to caffeine again because I am still not 100% past the insomnia. I worry it might bring it back again.

I feel better when my husband gets home, but that's not til 8:30pm for the next 2 months.

Meditating doesn't appeal when the light is low.

-Tanya

Hi, Tanya.

Evenings consistently have been the hardest for me, too.  In fact, it seems like from about 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. is always an added struggle.  I wish I knew why this is.  I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this.

As far as coping goes, I try to stay busy and distracted.  If I can handle it and am not feeling too ill, I do some household tasks.  I also take a bath around 5:30 p.m. every day.  I come on the computer, and lately I've been able to listen to some music or curl up and watch some TV (two things I wasn't able to handle for quite some time).  Of course sometimes these methods don't work so well, but for me it's all about passing the time, *trying* to get my mind on something else, and staying as calm and relaxed as possible in the process.

It makes me wonder what is going on physiologically that it happens like this...I've heard some talk about how once the natural daylight leaves, it can affect our pituitary gland, etc., (which is one reason why some people suffer from SAD during winter months).  We're so ultra sensitive during this recovery period...I sometimes joke that I'm affected by the wind changing directions!!  :laugh:  And, I want to know, what other changes are happening in our bodies at this time of day to cause us to feel this way?  I'm one of those people who wants to know the whys for everything...it seems to give me some comfort. 

We'll see what others have to say about this. 

Sweet 

ME TOO.  It has been the scariest part of my day for years.  I just do my tasks, try to immerse myself in my cooking or cleaning or parenting and accept that it is a difficult time of day for me.  Once my kiddo is in bed I take a bath and read total garbage books about decorating or organizing or something.  Preferably really silly books that I have read a million times about how to fold sheets or something. 

Em

I went for a brisk walk just as it was getting dark. This seemed to help. My daughter was with her speech therapist so I had the freedom. Most days I can't walk at that time.

But I was in tears earlier when it got cloudy out. But you know, I think I needed a good cry.

I also ordered a small artificial sunlight. Maybe it is SAD. When you mentioned that Bittersweet, I thought back and I usually would get kinda down in January/February when the sun set. Just not as much as I do now.

I'll let you know if the lamp works. They say on Amazon that it may take some days before you notice a change. So I plan to set near it for a half hour in the morning and a half hour again as the sun sets.

-Tanya

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

The artificial sun light that I bought does seem to take the edge off if I sit near it for a half hour as the sun sets.

Also I have started sitting with a cup of decaf tea as well. I think it has just enough caffeine to blunt the sad feelings.

Sometimes I call my mom or another friend at that time too. It helps to hear another adult voice.  :thumbsup:

I feel this will become a non issue as the days lengthen and get warmer.

Hope this is true for you all too!

-Tanya

• 2 weeks later...

Tanya - where did you get the light?  I have tons of anxiety, does it help with that as well as the depression?

Thanks

I did get the light and it did help when the days were shorter. I find I don't need it now unless I wake up really early. But when I wake up really early, I try to listen to my meditation MP3s to at least doze for a while.

I think next week though, when the time changes, i may need it in the mornings.

I put it on for a half hour and sit by it either looking at the laptop or reading.

It doesn't help anxiety, but it does help sadness/depression a bit. Takes the edge off for me. So does calling a friend or my mom at that darkening time of day.

Sometimes I use it on cloudy days, but we don't get many of those in the desert. It's been a dryer than usual winter here too. I actually pray for a rainy day, even if the clouds do make me sad.

(I used to love rainy days, and look forward to enjoying them again!).

For the Anxiety, I find walking and listening to guided meditation, to be the most helpful. Also reading Claire Weekes, Hope and Help for Your Nerves, and listening to her audio, Pass Through Panic. She has this grandmotherly voice and has gotten me through some awful setback days.

I still have anxiety, but it comes and goes in intensity now. Everyone is right, it will gradually go away.

This too shall pass,

Hope it passes soon for you!

-Tanya

p.s. walking, yoga and acupuncture (the kidney spots work best for me) help for depression and anxiety too. When my mom was visiting, she would massage my hands or feet everyday and it would make such a difference. I really miss that. My hubby is working so much he is too tires to do it. -sigh- Look forward to when his regular hours return in May. I'm thinking of asking my parents to come visit again next month.